“The Best Breakfast in Duluth, MN” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #37 of 226 restaurants in Duluth
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Minneapolis
“The Best Breakfast in Duluth, MN”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

Most restaurants that serve breakfast have very limited choices (usually eggs, bacon, toast, etc.) and are presented very dully and usually greasy. In general, eating out for breakfast is a no-go for me and my family because we are never satisfied with our overall experiences. However, it was a different story at Restaurant 301. We stayed at the Sheraton Hotel, which is connected to the restaurant and decided to get breakfast in the morning. Our server, Katie, was sweet and fun -- truly a day brightener. She was very knowledgable about the menu and provided us with prompt service. Now, to get to the menu.. 301's breakfast options were phenomenal! Breakfast extraordinaire! They have everything from steel cut oats to eggs benedict to veggie skillets! I ordered the eggs benedict, which was made with traditional hollandaise sauce, and boy was it yummy. My wife ordered the veggie skillet, which she was extremely satisfied with. Our two teenagers ordered the berries with flax and yogurt (the homemade granola is great) and the corn beef hash (refreshingly different). I'd say Restaurant 301 is one of Duluth's most underrated dining destinations; I would suggest it to anyone! The place would be full every morning if Duluthians knew how great it was.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Jen P, General Manager at 301, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
Thanks for the great review Brian! We try and keep our menu easy and fresh for the on the go hotel guest, with fun options for the Duluthians looking for a new breakfast hideway. And yes the Veggie Skillet is one of my Favorites too!

68% Recommend
Babbitt, Minnesota
“The most exquisite menu choices we have eaten”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Jodi made the reservation here for our date night on June 22nd, 2013, and what a great restaurant to visit! The whole time we were there, we were the only ones there, which was sad. Between the chef's skills and his tasty menu, this place should be filled every night.

The setting was very romantic: white table tablecloth, linen napkins, candle, flowers, and nice dinnerware. The menu is made up of different ingredient combinations that work so well that it is the most unique menu we have tasted on the Northland. Our waitress, Sara Jean, was very helpful, kind, and knowledgable of the menu items.

Restaurant 301 provides their menu on their website, so we knew what we would order when we got there, but it was still hard to choose. They brought us out a basket of bread with lemon balsamic butter. It was different: lemony, but so good.

Brian ordered two glasses of wine. He likes a more fruity taste. Our waitress, Sara Jean, suggested a red and a white wine, Marietta red old vine California lot 58 and Discoveries moscato California 2010. They were both very good: great aroma and accents.

We both ordered appetizers, so that we could try a little bit of everything, because everything sounded delicious. Jodi ordered the Beef Tenderloin Crustini, it had Cave-Aged Blue Cheese, Toasted BBQ Sauce, and Scallions. She said it was really good. The only thing that was different about it was the dollop of blue cheese. It seemed overpowering and out of place, but the other tastes worked together.

Brian ordered the Spring Cheese Plate that came with Goat Cheese with Strawberry and Black Pepper Compote (which, in French, means "mixture" that is a dessert made of whole, or pieces, of fruit in sugar syrup). Manchango (which is cheese made from sheep's milk) with Greek Olives, Warm Brie with Smoked Almonds. I really liked this appetizer a lot, the goat cheese and strawberries was my favorite. As a cheese fan, I would order this again and would recommend this starter.

For our entrees, Jodi ordered the Spring Bone-in-Lamb made with Butter Basted Domestic Lamb, Chocolate & Red Chili Veal Glace, Pan Fried Ricotta Polenta, Fava Beans & Tricolored Baby Carrots. She was concerned that the chili would be too spicy. Our waitress, Sara Jean, said that the chocolate will offset the chili heat, and she confirmed with Chef Kevin llenda it would be more on the sweeter side than heat. It was sweet. You couldn't taste the chili heat. The combinations worked very well.

Brian ordered the Yellow Curry Seafood Stew made with Coconut Shrimp Broth, Calamari, Shrimp, Scallop, Blue Crab, Mussel, Tomato, Scallion, Fresno Chili, and Cilantro. What more could I ask for? It has the seafood that I like, and I enjoy a good curry dish (oh, yes, I asked if I could have extra curry). The dish tasted so good! Everything was done perfectly, and the stew was seasoned very well. I really enjoyed the whole calamari! I never had them this way; they're usually fried and over done. The portion size was spot on with a nice balance of seafood and Coconut Shrimp Broth.

We then ordered dessert. Jodi ordered the Trio Of House Made Cakes, which included Ginger Carrot Cake, Red Velvet, and Chocolate Fresno. She said they were delicious, but the Chocolate Fresno was a bit of a surprise. It was a good start of chocolat, but then, when you swallow, the spice hits the back of the throat. Her favorite cake was the Ginger Carrot Cake, the touch of ginger and the pineapple really made the flavors pop, but it blended very well together.

Brian ordered the Green Tea Cre'me Brûlée, the caramelization was beautiful, not over burnt, and had a nice crisp when breaking into it. The green tea custard base tasted amazing, the green tea was not overpowering or too strong, but it was smooth and creamy. This dessert was a perfect way to end a great meal and just makes you want more on a nice warm day.

Another reason we liked Restaurant 301 was that our waitress Sara Jean didn't rush for us to order our next choice. She let us get to where we were about done, then she asked. It was a smooth, flowing experience. Sara Jean would refill our drinks when they were low often and bring out clean plates, and silverware when we got another fresh basket of bread. We also got word that Chef Kevin Ilenda changes his menu with fresh flavors and ingrediants according to the season and local flavors, so keep on eye out on their website for the current menu.

Restaurant 301 is a must to STOP IN, whether staying at the Sheraton Hotel, shopping in Duluth, or, if you work in downtown Duluth, you can call for a free complimentary ride on your lunch break. When you're done, they will bring you back. If you are looking for a place to bring your loved one, Restaurant 301 is the place to be, from the atmosphere and kind staff to Chef Kevin llenda, who has passion for Duluth, MN, and his menu. The food reflects all of that. I know we will be back very soon to try the other.

Check out our other adventures, leave us a comment and be a member to follow us on our next adventure http://familyfriendlyoutings.blogspot.com/

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Minnesota
“Wow!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We have a movie date every Friday with two friends. 301 has been a spot for us on and off (mostly off) because we also experienced some of the difficulties Frank R cited in his review. That being said, there has been a sea-change at 301 and it is arguably the best dining experience in the Twin Ports. The restaurant has a feel of a bygone era -- linens, space between tables (so you aren't on top of others' conversations), and competent, attentive staff. Our cocktails were perfect -- just the right amount of ice on the top of my shaken Martini, and a perfect Old Fashioned. Although the wine list is small, the wines complement the entrees. I ordered the Yellow Curry Seafood Stew (as did my friend) which is one of the best dishes I have ever eaten. I actually had a dream about it, it was THAT good. My husband ordered salmon, which is the only thing he ever orders any where -- his opinion was that it was one of the top presentations he has had anywhere. Our remaining diner ordered lamb chops, which were perfectly prepared. The service was impeccable.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Jen P, Manager at 301, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Thank you for the great positive feedback. We love to hear reviews; they are such great confidence boosters for our Restaurant Servers and Chefs. Hope to see you again next Date Night!
St Paulaul, Minnesota, USA
“Nasty food and service.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

The worse cooked steak I ever had, terrible service and had to fight with them to fix the problem, much better restaurants downtown than this one, over priced also.

Visited March 2013
Jen P, Manager at 301, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Frank,
I am very apologetic for the short coming of our level of service on your most recent stay with us here at the Sheraton Hotel Duluth. We here at the Hotel and Restaurant 301 do our best to remain pleasant, professional, warm and welcoming, I do feel we failed those high expectations that we strive for during your stay. I thank you for your comments and do hope you give us another try and stay with us in the future.
If you are ever in the area please do contact me, I would love to make it up to you.
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Special occasion or every day”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

This is one of the "finest" restaurants north of the Twin Cities. It's super fancy but you'd be welcome to wear your jeans and t-shirt here, as well. The food is true gourmet quality fare and for a special occasion like an anniversary or birthday, it's hard to beat. It's in the Sheraton Hotel downtown.

Visited May 2012

Been to 301? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage 301, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.