“Great Lake spot” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Detroit Lakes
Brainerd, Minnesota
“Great Lake spot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Friendly staff and nice room! Stayed for family wedding in the area, just my 15 year old son and me. Had the late night pizza, which was good. I wasn't aware of how much Detroit Lakes has grown, since I lived there as a girl! It has everything a town should have!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Elk River, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

We spent one night in a lake view balcony room last Friday. The room was clean, the bed was comfortable and the staff was friendly. Wi-fi was complicated and I don't think it was working though we did not every attempt to call the desk and remedy the situation. Our room was right on the lake with a beautiful view and a small but decent balcony. It had a microwave and refrigerator. There was a woman across the hall who kept her door propped open and was yelling (I think about the Wi fi) and even with my door shut I could hear her a little bit so not completely sound proof but otherwise we did not hear anything. Looking at the room service b-fast menu, the prices were reasonable and since it has a restaurant there is no continental b-fast. We will definetly stay again and would recommend it to friends just for the view alone.

Room Tip: Lake view is a must.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

My wife and I stayed here one night over We Fest weekend. We had a 3rd floor room that overlooked the lake and the view was spectacular! Our beds were comfy and all of the amenities were in good working order.
The real gem of this hotel, however, is their front desk staff. Particularly Karen (I hope I remembered your name correctly). She was instrumental in getting us a room and we really appreciated her friendliness and hard work. Hopefully we'll get a chance to see you again next year!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

After struggling with the service and incompetence of the Lodge on Lake Detroit for nearly 10 years, we decide to leave them in the rear view this time and try the Holiday Inn.

What a great decision it was. We were for some reason upgraded to a Jacuzzi suite which the wide LOVED. The King room we had was very nicely updated with a modern feel. It has a lake view which provided some spectacular morning and evening vistas. The island style band playing at the bar just one store below provided just the right lakeside/island soundtrack for the weekend. The bed was very comfortable and the staff were quite accomodating. We did have an issue with our rate not being as originally confirmed, however they eventually adjusted it to what we understood it to be. No real fight there.

All and all this was a great place to stay in DL. We're glad we opened our eyes to a new place after thinking we were stuck with the Lodge on Lake Detroit for reasonable lodging. Not true. Look no further than the Holiday Inn!

PS - A couple things my wife just reminded me of...

1. the bath tubs for some reason are an abnormally high step down back onto the bathroom floor. Kind of sort or dangerous when you are not expecting it. Just be advised.
2. the price was not terribly cheap at $129 a night for nights and then $169 the third night, but it was summer and that is high season for them so kind of understandable.
3. It seemed that there was not breakfast other than coffee in the lobby. For that price there should either be a continental breakfast or a voucher to the restaurant for breakfast. Just makes the value thing even a bit more off-center.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

This was our 2nd time staying at the Holiday Inn Detroit Lakes. We stayed 2 nights in a lakeview room with a king bed and at $129/night, we felt it was good value. Clean room, comfortable bed, good lighting, nice restaurant, and most impressieve of all is the friendly and helpful staff...great overall service!
We especially like the location of this hotel. We got around most of the time on our bikes, so it's far enough away from the main beach and downtown DL, but just a short bike ride away. Unfortunately the weather didn't fully cooperate, so we didn't use the beach or take a pontoon boat out for a cruise this time, but overall we had a great time anyway. Thanks Holiday Inn DL and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Winnipeg, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

My family and I stayed for 2 nights in July and found this to be a fairly niced hotel for the price. However, I do have a complaint in that I was charged twice for my room. We booked through a rewards program and had used our points to pay for the room. At the time of check-in, the hotel advised that they had not yet received the rewards payment, but after discussion, I was lead to believe that they were following up on this because I had received my confirmation and the points had been deducted from my account. I was not presented with a bill at the time of check out, but a week after arriving home I found that the hotel had charged us for the full two nights stay on my credit card. The Rewards Program is going to refund our money as the hotel said we should have disputed it when we were charged (which would have been difficult since we were not billed at check out but only saw the item on our credit card statement a week later). I would expect better communication and customer service and would be inclined to check out the Best Western on my next stay at Detroit Lakes.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Brainerd, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

We stayed July 10-12th 2012 - I planned the trip as a suprise birthday get away for myself and my Mom. I only live 2 hours away so I drove their in advance to compare this property to the Best Western Lodge Premiere right down the way. The beach is much bigger here and they were only a couple of dollars different in price. I reserved about 2 months in advance and then called and talked to Barb at the front desk to reserve a specific room # (to be close to the beach, not on the end, but not too close to the bar). She said I was quote "locked into Room #113" which would have been right in the middle. When I called to check on it a week or two prior to check in and talked to Jessica (not very pleasant) I was told I did not have a room number assigned so she said I could now only have #117 which I said would work. Upon check in I was put into #123. This room area did end up being just fine, but it was frusturating as this is not what I was quoted.

However the front desk was a great help in pulling off my surprise because I was having flowers, balloons, and cake delivered to the front desk to be put into our room prior to check in. This was accomplished. *(this may have had something to do with me not getting the room number I was told).

The room was great, nice size. Beds were uncomfortable but that is a matter of opinion. The bedding was very nice. The room walked right out to lake level so that was very convenient. Nice tv and also had a fridge (I cannot remember if it had a microwave).

The beach out front is a nice span and the sand is nice, but the waters edge and the water was disgusting. It is obvious they do not assign anyone to clean up. Dead fish floating every day and not the same ones. Gross. They also do not take care of the weeds or film on the water. I know this is Mother Nature but I work at a resort where we do keep up on this type of upkeep.

The restaurant was great and a lot better then I expected. Drinks were a little spendy but that is to be expected. The bruschetta (sp?) was so good.

I did not have any issues with train noises.

The indoor pool area is nice as well, along with a kiddie water area, and a hot tub which was actually very hot.

All in all I would go back and I do recommend this place.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Holiday Inn D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Detroit Lakes, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
Thank you for choosing us for your surprise Birthday Party Event! By reading the commentary, it sounds like your stay went great!

I have shared your reservation experience with our Guest Service Manager, who is completing follow up with our Guest Service Representatives in the name of improving our overall reservation detail.

You are so right, Mother Nature is difficult to control. We do have Grounds Maintenance that remove weeds & debris on a frequent basis. Clearly, we could have done a better job the day of your stay. We take an enormous pride in the way we keep our grounds. Your commentary will strenghten our position on this matter.

I personally appreciate your valuable feedback and we look forward to your return soon.

Jeff Jasperson, General Manager

Been to Holiday Inn Detroit Lakes? Share your experiences!