“2nd stay and looking forward to the next time!” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #4 of 9 hotels in Detroit Lakes
Winnipeg, Canada
“2nd stay and looking forward to the next time!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

This was our 2nd time staying at the Holiday Inn Detroit Lakes. We stayed 2 nights in a lakeview room with a king bed and at $129/night, we felt it was good value. Clean room, comfortable bed, good lighting, nice restaurant, and most impressieve of all is the friendly and helpful staff...great overall service!
We especially like the location of this hotel. We got around most of the time on our bikes, so it's far enough away from the main beach and downtown DL, but just a short bike ride away. Unfortunately the weather didn't fully cooperate, so we didn't use the beach or take a pontoon boat out for a cruise this time, but overall we had a great time anyway. Thanks Holiday Inn DL and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

94 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Winnipeg, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

My family and I stayed for 2 nights in July and found this to be a fairly niced hotel for the price. However, I do have a complaint in that I was charged twice for my room. We booked through a rewards program and had used our points to pay for the room. At the time of check-in, the hotel advised that they had not yet received the rewards payment, but after discussion, I was lead to believe that they were following up on this because I had received my confirmation and the points had been deducted from my account. I was not presented with a bill at the time of check out, but a week after arriving home I found that the hotel had charged us for the full two nights stay on my credit card. The Rewards Program is going to refund our money as the hotel said we should have disputed it when we were charged (which would have been difficult since we were not billed at check out but only saw the item on our credit card statement a week later). I would expect better communication and customer service and would be inclined to check out the Best Western on my next stay at Detroit Lakes.

Brainerd, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

We stayed July 10-12th 2012 - I planned the trip as a suprise birthday get away for myself and my Mom. I only live 2 hours away so I drove their in advance to compare this property to the Best Western Lodge Premiere right down the way. The beach is much bigger here and they were only a couple of dollars different in price. I reserved about 2 months in advance and then called and talked to Barb at the front desk to reserve a specific room # (to be close to the beach, not on the end, but not too close to the bar). She said I was quote "locked into Room #113" which would have been right in the middle. When I called to check on it a week or two prior to check in and talked to Jessica (not very pleasant) I was told I did not have a room number assigned so she said I could now only have #117 which I said would work. Upon check in I was put into #123. This room area did end up being just fine, but it was frusturating as this is not what I was quoted.

However the front desk was a great help in pulling off my surprise because I was having flowers, balloons, and cake delivered to the front desk to be put into our room prior to check in. This was accomplished. *(this may have had something to do with me not getting the room number I was told).

The room was great, nice size. Beds were uncomfortable but that is a matter of opinion. The bedding was very nice. The room walked right out to lake level so that was very convenient. Nice tv and also had a fridge (I cannot remember if it had a microwave).

The beach out front is a nice span and the sand is nice, but the waters edge and the water was disgusting. It is obvious they do not assign anyone to clean up. Dead fish floating every day and not the same ones. Gross. They also do not take care of the weeds or film on the water. I know this is Mother Nature but I work at a resort where we do keep up on this type of upkeep.

The restaurant was great and a lot better then I expected. Drinks were a little spendy but that is to be expected. The bruschetta (sp?) was so good.

I did not have any issues with train noises.

The indoor pool area is nice as well, along with a kiddie water area, and a hot tub which was actually very hot.

All in all I would go back and I do recommend this place.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Holiday Inn D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Detroit Lakes, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
Thank you for choosing us for your surprise Birthday Party Event! By reading the commentary, it sounds like your stay went great!

I have shared your reservation experience with our Guest Service Manager, who is completing follow up with our Guest Service Representatives in the name of improving our overall reservation detail.

You are so right, Mother Nature is difficult to control. We do have Grounds Maintenance that remove weeds & debris on a frequent basis. Clearly, we could have done a better job the day of your stay. We take an enormous pride in the way we keep our grounds. Your commentary will strenghten our position on this matter.

I personally appreciate your valuable feedback and we look forward to your return soon.

Jeff Jasperson, General Manager
Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012 via mobile

We had a comfortable room with updated bedding, fridge/microwave, and darkening curtains. Loved the coconut-lime Bath and Bodyworks toiletries. Free drink each night was a nice touch. The whole place feels modern, high ceilings, neutral decor, good signage. Cost for the room was a great value, but no free breakfast bumped it down.

This hotel is right on the lake with a lovely swimming beach. We ate dinner out on the patio where the kids could play in the sand and water while adults lingered over drinks. The indoor pool area is kid-friendly with a splash-pad area, a shallow pool and a hot tub. The hot tub was really warm -- great for soaking but made the pool area too humid for a non-swimmer to relax and watch companions swim. There were plentiful pool towels.

We found the service friendly and pleasant but inconsistent. Restaurant, front desk and maintenance staff were not anticipating guest needs. We had to ask for children's menus. Servers were not knowledgable about wine list or local attractions. When the pool gate was jammed, the maintenance man waited 10 plus minutes before showing guests the alternate entrance to the pool which bypassed the gate. I asked the clerk if they honored the late-check-out time for Priority Club members. I expressed how glad I was when she confirmed they did, but then she didn't flag my record so I was having maids knocking and a phone call from the desk wanting to know when we were vacating the room on our last day.

• Stayed July 2012
Holiday Inn D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Detroit Lakes, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
Thank you for choosing the Detroit Lakes Holiday Inn on the Lake for your vacation getaway. It was great to read that you enjoyed your stay.

Also, I thank you for your constructive & valuable feedback related to our staff. We have used it for continued training in several areas: front desk to houskeeping communication, quick & proper team member responses, wine training to all food & beverage service team members and developed a local guide for all "point of contact" team members in the name of improving our overall guest experiences.

In closing, I hope this note reaches you in good health and hope you can visit our beautiful hotel facility again in the near future.

SIncerely,

Jeff Jasperson, General Manager
MINNEAPOLIS
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

We enjoyed a one night getaway at the Holiday Inn Detroit Lakes. We found that the room was very clean, fairly quiet, and well equipped with a microwave and a refrigerator, the bedding was super comfortable, and the hotel itself was easy to get around.

Upon check in we were given a room on the 1st floor, on the inside of the building, overlooking the sauna. We generally like to stay on a higher floor and asked the front desk if we could change rooms. They were very accommodating and changed us to the 2nd floor. The beach area had lounge chairs, as well as kayaks and paddle boats. There is a nice patio that overlooks the lake where the bar is located. There is a playground right on the property that looked like those who were playing on it were having fun.

We ate dinner in the restaurant. It is quite comfortable and family friendly with windows overlooking the lake. The service was good and the food was delicious! The pool area is nice and clean. Towels are available. There is a sauna and an exercise room but we did not use them. We had room service in the morning bringing up breakfast. The food was great, the caramel was HUGE.

Overall our stay was quite pleasant. We did hear a dog parking a few times from downstairs, but it didn't last too long. We would stay here again if we were in the Detroit Lakes area again.

Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

This is a copy of an email I sent to the Hotel GM on May 8, 2012:

Dear Mr. Jasperson,

Last week I stayed at the Detroit Lakes Holiday Inn from April 30, checking out May 4. I wanted to tell you a bit about my visit.

When I arrived (late – I flew in from Phoenix, had to drive from Fargo – so it was about 10:00 PM and I was tired!) Yolanda was on duty and did my check-in. She informed me I had a room facing the pool and asked if that would be a problem. She then invited me to check it out and return to the front desk if I wanted something different. When I got to the room it was, in fact, very bright even with the lights out (despite the late hour) so I returned to the Front Desk to get a different room. Problem was, there were only handicapped rooms (no bathtub!) or lakeside rooms (additional $5.00 a night) available, and neither of these options was amenable to me - at which point Yolanda made the decision to give me a lakeside room at no extra charge. I greatly appreciated her empathy and quick action, and I was also VERY impressed that she was empowered to make this decision without having to check with someone else. I credit you, Mr. Jasperson, with creating an environment where your staff feels empowered to make the customer a priority and make decisions on our behalf without having to get approval from someone in the management chain. (I travel a lot – and this is a lot rarer than it should be.)

I have stayed at the DL Holiday Inn many times in the past, but this time the quality of service was noticeably superior to past stays:

• The hair dryer in my room kept turning off when I was trying to dry my hair. I called the front desk, and someone immediately brought me another one. But more importantly, when I started to explain that this was a real problem (and not user error), and the hotel needed to replace the dryer permanently she informed me a work order had already been submitted to do just that! Again – your staff took the initiative to ensure the root cause of the issue was resolved (and not merely band-aided).

• One night I wanted room service. When I reviewed the Guest Services manual in my room I had a breakfast menu, but no dinner menu. I called the Front Desk to see if Evening Room Service was available, and Jessica assured me it was. (She also assured me she would make sure the manual in my room got updated.) I asked if I could stop by the Front Desk to pick up a menu, and she instead referred me directly to the restaurant where they let me take a regular menu with me to review. I subsequently ordered room service by stopping by the restaurant. Unfortunately I did not get the name of the young lady who assisted me in taking my order, and also did the delivery, but she, too, was very service oriented. By far, this was the best meal I have ever had from the restaurant. Everything was perfect. My steak was perfectly cooked. The salad (made with care from the salad bar) was very well prepared, and she had included not one but two rolls. Later in the evening I ran into her, and when I told her how good the meal was she accepted my compliment with both enthusiasm and pride.

• My flight on Friday was a late one – leaving Fargo’s Hector Airport at 8:30 PM. Thursday night I asked if a late checkout would be possible next day (knowing that Friday’s are notoriously busy, my hopes were not high). Again, without checking with anyone, Jessica told me I could have the room until 2:00 PM – a time which exceeded my expectations! I really appreciated this.

Overall, my stay at the DL Holiday Inn was as close to perfect as any hotel stay I have ever had. The care and service I received from every single person I dealt with was 5 star. Since I am the first one to complain when things are not right, I felt it was important to let management know when as a customer I am “delighted.”. I asked to speak to a manager when I was checking out; as one was not available, I asked for your email.

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at your Holiday Inn and my compliments to you and your staff for a job well done.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Aitkin, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012 via mobile

I really enjoyed this hotel!!! The service was wonderful there is a pool, cafe, a bar for a younger crowd and a great breakfast buffet! The rooms were beautiful too and the beds were comfortable! We stayed for a wedding and the room was cheap, only $75!! Would definitely stay there again!!

• Stayed April 2012

Been to Holiday Inn Detroit Lakes? Share your experiences!