“Pleasant Stay in Deerwood” 4 of 5 stars

Country Inn Deerwood
23884 Front Street, Deerwood, MN 56444   |
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Deerwood
Overland Park, Kansas
“Pleasant Stay in Deerwood”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

I had one purpose for staying in Deerwood. My son was attending Heartland Hockey Camp for the week and I wanted to be close. The Country Inn was clean, very friendly and ultra convenient to the hockey camp. Deerwood is a small town with no grocery store, but you can pick up a few items at the quick marts. Crosby is only a few miles away with grocery stores and a few more restaurants. I was very pleased with my stay at the Country Inn because I spent 4 to 5 hours a day watching my son's practices at camp. I would suggest bringing your own pillow or buying one like I did. If you are concerned about proximity to The Heartland Hockey Camp, you can't beat this location. My other children were not with me so i didn't need the luxury and activities in the lake resorts. This is a above average basic stay hotel with some of the friendliest people I have met. We enjoyed grabbing a few dinners at The Deerstand while visiting.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Saint Paul, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

We checked in for a snowmobile trip and we were supposed to stay 3 nights. The room was so small and the bed was so big that it took up the whole room. There was nowhere at all to put any luggage let alone snowmobile gear. We found a last minute special on Gull Lake and checked out after 1 miserable night.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

The outside, lobby and hallways are in great shape. Although they clean the rooms, they don't maintain the rooms. It seems they converted this from a Smoking Hotel to a Non-Smoking Hotel, but didn't gut the rooms when they did so. So the rooms all have a heavy smell to them (masking agent/chemical). (They redid the carpet in the lobby and hallways but not the rooms.) We checked into one room and it smelled so we asked for a new room which they happily obliged, but that one smelled even worse (chemical and smoke), so we tried a third room: This one didn't smell like smoke, but it still had a distinct bad smell (masking agent/chemical). The shower had mold and left over hair from the previous guest. But the hotel was quiet, which was good and nice, as they do allow pets. They do provide a continental breakfast but the kitchen/dining area is tiny (people are literally tripping over themselves). There is no hot food (rolls, muffins, bagels, cereal) but they do have plastic wrapped pancakes and cheese omelets which you can microwave. The ice machine didn't work too well (it was 'out of ice' when we needed some, and we were told we could buy some at the local gas station). The beds were comfortable and clean, with good pillows. If it weren't for the smell of the room overwhelming us every time we walked in the door of the room, I wouldn't mind coming back. But that smell just makes it unappealing to return. You also have to watch out for the website registration. It will tell you you have a certain price for the days you specify, for the room type you requested (e.g. two queen beds), but when you hit the final button, it will change the price on you (e.g. I felt it was bait and switch). It is near the train tracks and a train crossing, which woke my spouse (but not me). It does have a small pool and hot tub and the temperature of the pool was great (e.g. it wasn't tool cold) which was great.

Room Tip: I'd suggest you check out the room before you decide if you want to stay there (the smell may be...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Sonora, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Our visit was satisfactory, the price was right and the room o.k. for our needs - a bit of TLC (paint, new bed linens, etc.) would give it a more appealing look. Our reservations (two couples and two rooms) were made months' ahead but the desk clerk seemed almost annoyed when we arrived. She was a bit more friendly and accommodating the next morning, so perhaps she had just had a bad day. The Walleye dinner at the nearby DeerStand was certainly the highlight of our stay in the area.

Room Tip: We took previous reviewers' suggestion to ask for a room on the back side (to avoid train noise...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thunder Bay, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Stayed here in August 2013. For a mountain bike race in Cuyuna Lakes. For the annual Rusty Ride event. Good location as it is located right off the main road. Close to the Holiday Gas Station and Convenience store. so you can never go hungry or run out of gas.
Check in was very fast and efficient. Service was very friendly and full compliments to the people who run that front desk 24 hours a day!
Place was very clean and rooms were nice and big. Nice pool in back for families and a nice daily breakfast for all to join in. Each room with a microwave and fridge. Good TV selection.
I would recommend this place for anyone who is passing through or staying long term in this area. Good place to check out the amazing mt bike trails on the Cuyuna Lakes. Would for sure come back to stay at this location again.

Overall I highly recommend this property for anyone.

Room Tip: Check out the mountain trail and the yearly Rusty Ride MT Bike Event
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Oronoco, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

Stayed one night. Room had fridge and microwave along with coffee maker. Bathroom sink and tub water tap is showing some age. Very quiet and windows had room darkening drapery. Owner Dan said they wwe're OUT of coffee for the machine in the breakfast area! Nice pool, hot tub & lobby area.

• Stayed August 2013
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

As soon as you walk into the Country Inn you feel the warmth from the pleasant staff. I have never had such a good night's sleep in a motel. The room was so comfortable, clean and very relaxing. This was the only motel where I took their card to recommend to others who may pass through. If I am ever near Deerwood, MN I will definately be a returning customer.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Country Inn Deerwood? Share your experiences!