“Could use some updating.” 3 of 5 stars

Country Inn Deerwood
23884 Front Street, Deerwood, MN 56444   |
Ranked #3 of 3 hotels in Deerwood
Sonora, California
“Could use some updating.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Our visit was satisfactory, the price was right and the room o.k. for our needs - a bit of TLC (paint, new bed linens, etc.) would give it a more appealing look. Our reservations (two couples and two rooms) were made months' ahead but the desk clerk seemed almost annoyed when we arrived. She was a bit more friendly and accommodating the next morning, so perhaps she had just had a bad day. The Walleye dinner at the nearby DeerStand was certainly the highlight of our stay in the area.

Room Tip: We took previous reviewers' suggestion to ask for a room on the back side (to avoid train noise...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

24 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Thunder Bay, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Stayed here in August 2013. For a mountain bike race in Cuyuna Lakes. For the annual Rusty Ride event. Good location as it is located right off the main road. Close to the Holiday Gas Station and Convenience store. so you can never go hungry or run out of gas.
Check in was very fast and efficient. Service was very friendly and full compliments to the people who run that front desk 24 hours a day!
Place was very clean and rooms were nice and big. Nice pool in back for families and a nice daily breakfast for all to join in. Each room with a microwave and fridge. Good TV selection.
I would recommend this place for anyone who is passing through or staying long term in this area. Good place to check out the amazing mt bike trails on the Cuyuna Lakes. Would for sure come back to stay at this location again.

Overall I highly recommend this property for anyone.

Room Tip: Check out the mountain trail and the yearly Rusty Ride MT Bike Event
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Oronoco, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

Stayed one night. Room had fridge and microwave along with coffee maker. Bathroom sink and tub water tap is showing some age. Very quiet and windows had room darkening drapery. Owner Dan said they wwe're OUT of coffee for the machine in the breakfast area! Nice pool, hot tub & lobby area.

• Stayed August 2013
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

As soon as you walk into the Country Inn you feel the warmth from the pleasant staff. I have never had such a good night's sleep in a motel. The room was so comfortable, clean and very relaxing. This was the only motel where I took their card to recommend to others who may pass through. If I am ever near Deerwood, MN I will definately be a returning customer.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

My husband and I stayed for two nights in June 2013. My husband was scuba diving in the Crosby mine pits, so aside from camping or a cabin at a resort, there are not many lodging options nearby.

I will start by saying that I am a hotel snob...I notice details, the good or bad... We travel often, and while I rarely write reviews, I feel inclined to because our stay was better than my preconceived expectation.

The hotel staff was great, very friendly and helpful. As others have stated, the room furnishings are dated, with the bath fixtures pitted, etc. Some walls and doorways are in need of paint and repair. The carpet in our room; however, appeared to be fairly new and was clean. The bed and bath linens were clean. The option of being able to open the window in the room was nice (we were on the 1st floor - room 103); I did not notice any bad odors. We made use of the guest laundry when some of my husbands clothing got unintentionally wet from diving; having that available was unexpected and very helpful. The TV quality was poor, as was the Wi-Fi speed. The shower pressure and temperature was great. The toilet did seem to struggle a bit (slow flushing), but it did function. The bathroom cleanliness was fine. We did not eat the breakfast (very processed foods), but did enjoy the coffee machine and access to hot tea. We did not use the pool or hot tub.

Overall...the hotel is not remarkable, but it is not horrible either. The room was cleaner than expected, but for the price/value some updating needs to occur. We will stay here again, because of the location and it is suitable for our Crosby diving needs.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Lacrosse, Wis
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

I was staying there for 1 night on my way up to Bemidji, The room had an odor to it. The toilet didn't flush and there was no hot water. The pool was dirty, so didn't swim. The front desk was rude when I asked for someone to fix the toilet. I was very disappointed and would not stay again. They also changed the price of the room after I left. It must have been slow, so they added $20 to my bill.

Room Tip: Drive past this one
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Saint Paul
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

We've stayed in quite a few motels, and I percieve this one as much better than the cheaper chain places. (And I won't go into names for those chains, many of which have strange odors eminating from the attached living quarters of the managing family)

We stayed at this property for two nights.

Our room faced the railroad tracks and we heard but one train. (Maybe the trains don't run on weekends?)

Room was clean, bath was clean. Quick acting hot water response from faucets.

We didn't think the room was outdated at all.

All faucets worked well. Toilet flushed properly. All lights worked, and lighting was adequate. TV remote was fine, ditto tv with cable. (First thing I do when a remote won't work is ask for a new set of batteries. Good supply of towels.

We didn't use the phone, so can't comment on that. Adequate electrical outlets in the room. Wireless had two channels. No encoding, so password not needed.

Did not use the pool or hot tub. (Tend to stay away from hot tubs in most hotels / motels.)

We had a king bed and it was comfortable and clean. Room had a coffee maker and a mini fridge.

Breakfast mediocre with the standard mini-muffins, bagels, breads. Also what appeared to be mini pancakes. (Or maybe tire patches!) We thought the coffee from their machine was pretty good.

Price for room commensurate with amenities offered.

Very friendly hotel personnel.

Bottom line: we'd definitely stay with them again............probably asking if the same room was available.

Room Tip: Good breakfast to be had a few miles away in downtown Crosby (4 miles) at the Heartland Cafe. look...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Country Inn Deerwood? Share your experiences!