“Some issues, but it worked out” 4 of 5 stars
Review of AmericInn Lodge & Suites Crookston - U of M Crookston

You added AmericInn Lodge & Suites Crookston - U of M Crookston to your Saves list
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Crookston - U of M Crookston
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1821 University Ave., Crookston, MN 56716   |
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Crookston
“Some issues, but it worked out”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2011

We booked a room with 2 queens, but we received a room with a king and a couch bed. And the room smelled like paint. And the floor was smoking, so there was a faint scent of that. Also, no elevator. Cute little business center with working computers. Pool is very chlorine-y. But the beds are comfortable and cozy. The suites have an old tv and a flat-screen tv. There is guest laundry for 75c per machine use. Detergent is $1 at the desk. i sadly did not get to try the breakfast because I got sick. But, it's a really nice. There is a Walmart across the street, and assorted restaurants, like McDonald's and Subway.

Room Tip: Double check reservations
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Hibbing, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2011

We had a very nice room but the parking lot is horrible! Lots of large holes, not safe for any low clearance car.
Also, DO NOT ask for a late checkout. It is "not allowed" and they are extremely rude when you ask.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Grand Forks, North Dakota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2011

Let me preface this review by letting you know that this particular visit (March 2011) was supposed to be this hotels 2nd chance to impress my wife and I after a poor visit in November of 2010. In November I booked the room that had the hot tub/whirlpool bath in the room so my wife could relax (she has a problem with her sholder). The hot tub did not work, the girl at the desk was very helpful and we paid only the regular room rate, but had to go across the street to McD's for breakfast the next morning. December 2010 we received a letter from the manager telling us they were sorry and offered us a complimentary night. Okay, on to the review.

My wife booked the same hot tub room 4 days in advance of our reservation on March 11. She spoke directly with the manager who offered us the free night and specifically asked that she check the room to make sure that the hot tub was in fact working because we were travelling over 2 hours to get there and did not want any problems. She assured my wife that everything was in order and our reservation was set. Fast forward to the blizzard of March 11.

After driving 2 hours through a blizzard we reach the hotel (yeah, should have stayed home but we were already an hour away from home when it hit). The young lady at the front desk was helpful and courteous, we checked in and went down to the room. Now, do you remember the part where my wife asked the MANAGER to assure the room was in order? We open the door to find the room had not been cleaned and the bed had not been made. Seriously, I have a picture on my phone. So, up to the front desk goes the wife.

After about 30 minutes I poke my head out the door to find out what was going on only to be hailed to the front desk. Apparently the girl at the front desk called the manager and they offered us a fireplace room instead. She was also the only employee on site and she was pretty busy fielding phone calls and dealing with check-ins, etc. My wife explained that the only reason we were there was for the hot tub room so that was not an acceptable option. By this time we were pretty exhausted after driving over 2 hours in a blizzard and all I wanted was a drink at this point. My wife asked the girl at the front desk for clean sheets and blankets...we made the bed ourselves. Really, we did a good job too, corners tucked in and everything.

We actually slept pretty well, the mattress was surprisingly comfortable. So now I'm thinking breakfast. It's like 9AM and I want some orange juice and to see what they have for chow. So I walk down to this little room where they have the food. When I say little room I mean little room. I have seen bathrooms bigger than this room. I walk in and this place was absolutely destroyed. There were no cups for anything, no muffins, no fruit, no bowls for cereal, no milk I mean it looked like locust had stripped the place clean but managed to crush half a dozen muffins on the floor before they left.

I returned to the room hungry...again. You see this happened the last time we stayed here. Except last time I had to elbow my way through 8 people to find out that the place had been stripped bare. Now, I will admit I'm not a morning person. I don't get up at the buttcrack of dawn to go eat breakfast at a hotel. I went at 9AM both times which is about halfway through their breakfast service, so it's not like I waited until they were putting everything away to go eat.

I loaded up the car and had the wife check us out. I pull the car up to the front drive and wait...and wait...and wait. Finally (not sure how long it took here because time seems to stand still when you're hungry) she comes out and we're on our way home. Apparently the young lady running the desk this morning did not know how to check us out. She told my wife that she is the girl who does the breakfast and not the one who runs the front desk (again, no managment on site). This explains why I'm driving to Grand Forks hungry.

Now, I will cut them some slack in only two areas...there was a blizzard the night before and the hotel was packed with, what appeared to be, a gathering of over privileged, ill mannered and rude children with no apparent parental supervision. With that being said, one would think that the MANAGER, would A) be watching the weather (because in this area this time of year it tends to affect occupancy due to blinding snow storms), and B) realized that the hotel was busy and a weather front was moving in so staffing levels would have to be adjusted to effectively accomodate their occupants needs.

Overall, both experiences at this hotel were pretty poor. The room was clean the first time but the hot tub did not work. The second time the hot tub worked but the room was a wreck. Both times we stayed we had to eat somewhere else for breakfast because, once you muscle your way into the cramped space they serve food in, there is nothing there. I can't comment about the pool because we never used it. There was little ice in the ice machine (took 5 minutes to fill up the tiny little ice bucket). The bed was pretty comfortable for a hotel bed (once we put clean linens and blankets on it).

If you're in Crookston, MN (unless you're there for school I don't know why you would be there), I would avoid this hotel.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
crookston_mn, General Manager at AmericInn Lodge & Suites Crookston - U of M Crookston, responded to this review, April 4, 2011
On behalf of the AmericInn Lodge and Suites of Crookston, MN apologize for the unpleasant stays that you have experienced. According to your review you were not happy with a few items during your stay. Under some miscommunication between housekeeping and front desk at your last stay. The room had been cleaned that day and it was awaiting for clean bedding to get put together. The room was clean. Our housekeeping standards are very high and we have been considered a very clean hotel. Please forgive us for the times that we are booked, full house, and we have several guests under the roof and we try our best to keep up. We hope you consider staying in the future at the AmericInn Crookston, MN.
Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2010

Sometimes you can tell more about a hotel when there are problems than when there are not, and this one passed the test. We booked three rooms and, due to a mix up, all of them were on the second floor with no elevator. Ok for most of us but impossible for our 92 year old relative who uses a walker. Although they were booked solid, Sam and Mgr. Angie managed to shuffle other guests around to accomodate us (Thanks again!) and turn what could have been a total disaster into a pleasant stay.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Thank you for choosing AmericInn of Crookston, MN. We appreciate the great review!
mn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2009

I have stayed here about a hundred times--Angie and the crew do an extremely nice job!!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2009

The front desk staff is and was AMAZING. The girl I dealt with was Kelly at check in & for reservations and Angie for check out. They were very kind and gave us directions, told us where was the places to eat, drink.. sights to see while in town. I myself am in the hotel business and know that staff makes a huge difference. I terribly disagree with the last review on this place... Dude, atleast they told you and offered to pay for your stay at another place, they could have just kicked you to the curb. or hey, save yourself the hassle and call to confirm that your stay is correct before you get there? Just an idea. EVERY SINGLE PERSON working there were amazing, from the housekeepers to the desk girls. They were ALL very kind. This hotel is immaculate. It's shiny clean, everything in the room was perfect. There breakfast was wonderful! I willd definitely be back!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Roma
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2009

I have recently traveled with my work stayed at this hotel. Midway through my stay, the front desk clerk came up to my room stating that I must vacate my room because it has been reserved by someone else. They "generously" offered to put me up in the flea bag hotel down the road, but I basically told them to take a hike. Immediately after my conversation with them the problem has been corrected, but it definitely left a terrible impression on me and my co-worker. Try avoiding to stay here if you can!!!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business

Been to AmericInn Lodge & Suites Crookston - U of M Crookston? Share your experiences!