“Avoid this motel” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 Cold Spring B&B and Inns
Perham, Minnesota
“Avoid this motel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2011

I reserved this hotel over the phone for my family. We spent the night of August 27th, 2011 in the Lincoln room 103. The hotel is old and smells like it. The room cost me 95.00 with the roll away, the room was awful. It was damp and sticky, we literally stuck to the sheets. We turned the air on, to try to dry it out and went to the front desk to ask for an extra pillow and a blanket. The lady was vacuuming and after I finally got her attention and she turned the vacuum off I asked if I could please have an extra blanket and pillow. Her response..."Not if I have to go upstairs for it". I just stood there for a moment dumbfounded... she finally said I'll see what I have back here...we walked around tp the laundry room and I told her I would be glad to go upstairs to get the blankets if she would tell me where they were..."they're locked up you can't do that"...she grabbed a pillow and put a pillowcase on it then handed that to me...brushed past me and said she must have done something to her back and went upstairs...after a few minutes she came back down and handed me a blanket...I spent the night in cold springs at a damp sticky motel and was treated very rudely..this morning I asked for a receipt when I checked out...they needed to change the ink in the printer and i said no problem...10 minutes and 3 people later I was told they would mail me a receipt. This is totally unacceptable. I can assure you for 95.00 I can find a much nicer hotel with friendlier staff in ST Cloud.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
riversidebunny, Owner at Riverside Inn, responded to this review, October 28, 2011
We are sorry "Avoid this motel" was dissatisfied with their stay and I, as the owner and CEO, apologize for the frustrations they encountered. A letter of apology and a gift certificate was promptly issued once I learned of their disatisfaction.

The August night they stayed was incredibly hot and humid and unfortunately our new staff did not turn on the in-room air conditioner in this guest's room prior to their arrival Therefore, the room could have felt "damp and sticky" when they arrived, however, the air conditioner would have taken care of that quite quickly.

My staff is expected to follow our family's long-standing trademarks* of "friendliness, cleanliness, and personalized service." A guest's request for additional bedding, coffee, or any other service is always met promptly and it appears this guest greatly exaggerated the staff's response to her request for "an extra pillow and a blanket."

*These trademarks have been in place for the 8+ decades our family has served in the hospitality business, beginning in 1927 with the birth of Riverside Resort in Richmond. Riverside Inn was acquired and totally renovated in 2003 (giving question to the guest's comment ,"The hotel is old and smells like it.") and in 2007, Riverside Aloha in Kauai, Hawaii was added to our hospitality mix.)

Our purpose statement has always been "to serve God and His people" and we are grateful for each and every guest who comes our way. In the 32 years my wife and I have owned and operated our family properties, we seldom hear any justified complaints. When we are in the wrong, however, we will make it right. Sometimes though it's impossible to please everyone. We invite you readers to make Riverside Inn your lodging destination on your next trip to the Cold Spring area, where clean & uniquely themed guest rooms, intimate ambiance, and cordial and attentive service await you!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Duluth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2009

I stayed at the Riverside Inn a few weeks ago for a scrapbook retreat. They have these retreats in November and January. It was a perfect weekend for me to scrapbook and get some quilting done. I was able to relax and enjoy a weekend away with the girls. The hotel is clean, and the staff is helpful.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
South Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2008

I worked in Cold Spring for a number of days and stayed at this hotel because it is the only one in town. It is a very charming and well kept place! The people that work at this hotel are always helpful and kind! I loved the hunting room! Highly recommended if you stay in the area!

• Liked — Service! Top notch!
  • Disliked — Older television sets
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Twin Cities
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2008

Excellent stay! Very nice people! Older property, but very clean and gives you the feeling of being at a bed and breakfast! I loved the theme rooms! Very highly recommended! :)

• Liked — Themed rooms!
  • Disliked — No meeting room.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Riverside Inn? Share your experiences!