“SolFest 2013 AMAZING” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Oldenburg House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Carlton
Oldenburg House
You added Oldenburg House to your Saves list
604 Chestnut Avenue, Carlton, MN 55718   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Carlton B&B and Inns
Chicago, Illinois
“SolFest 2013 AMAZING”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

This is the perfect location for EVERYTHING!!!! I attended the SolFest Concert and stayed at the Bed and Breakfast. This property is so beautiful inside and out! Set on acres of land and at the edge of the Jay Cooke State Park just footsteps from the lake and the river, I never need to go anywhere else to retreat. And did I mention the Concert/ Fest?! I cannot wait for next year- June 28th cannot come soon enough! This place is a magical must see. I want to have a retreat there and invite a huge group of friends and family (10 +); it's perfect for a wedding or huge party with space for over 1000 people on the property; and I hope they have concerts there more than once a year!!! I'm going back as soon as I can!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
St Paul
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

My wife and I celebrated our twenty-plus wedding anniversary in May at the Oldenburg House. Shortly after arrival, hiked through the woods and caught site of a of white tail deer threesome. The yard and surrounding area is beautiful. We echo the other reviews reflecting the graciousness of hosts Glenn and Helen. The breakfast was delicious and the fruit was fresh. We are planning our return this fall.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

We stayed here for 1 night in May 2013, while hiking trails in the area (Munger, Carlton, various Duluth trails). Hosts Glenn and his mother Helen couldn't have been more welcoming, it was a real pleasure to meet them, and their fine old house is a delight. I highly recommend this B&B to anyone interested in this beautiful area, or even for exploring Duluth which is only 15 minutes away. Good breakfast, comfortable bed, deer running through the back yard, and the Jay Cooke State Park right next door.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Tigard, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

A stay at the Oldenburg House with your delightful hosts Helen and her son Glenn is a treasure not to be missed. My brother and I stayed for 5 nights in early March and it was exactly what we needed. We were visiting my mother who lives in an assisted living facility just a couple miles away. Helen fixed us a delicious breakfast each morning. After a day visiting our mother we'd return In the evening for wonderful conversation (and yes, maybe even a game of scrabble with Helen). I stayed in the Jay Cooke room, which has an extremely comfortable, cozy queen size bed. The large bathroom is just a step across the hall, which I didn't mind at all. My brother stayed in the Oldenburg Suite with it's huge, beautiful bathroom, morning sun, and views of the lovely grounds and Jay Cooke Park beyond. This is a very special place to stay. We highly recommend it.

Room Tip: The Oldenburg Suite doesn't have a shower, so if you're not into only talking baths you migh...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

We just had a great time at Oldenburg House - a grand old mansion in the true bed and breakfast style. My boyfriend and I particularly enjoyed the time we spent with Glenn over a yummy breakfast, he's a wonderful and thoughtful host. We'll definitely be back when it's a little warmer to enjoy the hiking and biking that are right outside the back door.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

I just spent a couple days undwinding with friends. We had a great time and were treated like royalty by the proprietors Glen and Helen. This old house is simply beautiful and feels like home. It immediately takes one back to a simpler time and approach to life. It's so close to Duluth and the Black Bear Casino that we could enjoy those venues if we liked but nature was the key on this trip. We walked the most beautiful forest trails along a rugged river gorge. I'll be back again in the spring to bike and canoe. It was just what the doctor ordered!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Saint Cloud, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

My girlfriend and I had a wonderful time at the Oldenburg house. We were able to participate in the "Whoville 2012" festivities and enjoy local children choirs in addition to some famous musical artists--Billy Peterson and PipJazz. The back yard of the Oldenburg house has a trail directly into Jay Cooke State park; one of the most beautiful state parks in Minnesota. This is a "must stay" facility for anyone looking to enjoy the beauty of Minnesota.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carlton
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Carlton
Park Point Marina Inn
#5 of 33 in Duluth
4.5 of 5 stars 145 reviews
Residence Inn by Marriott Duluth

Been to Oldenburg House? Share your experiences!