“Nice stay with some negative moments” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Black Bear Casino Resort Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Carlton
Black Bear Casino Resort Hotel
You added Black Bear Casino Resort Hotel to your Saves list
1785 Highway 210, Carlton, MN 55718   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Carlton
Atlanta, Georgia
“Nice stay with some negative moments”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I consider myself a very fair reviewer and don't never let minor things cause me to falsely rate a hotel. With that being said.... I had a good stay in the tower, my smoke-free room was clean and roomy however it was a bit dusty, especially when I turned on the ac/heating unit, it upset my nasal allergies big time!! I had to buy nasal spray to relieve it. The bathroom was very clean, but tiny. The hallways were clean, housekeeping very friendly and helpful. Front desk staff was ok, their attitudes could have been a little more helpful and upbeat. Parking was good and plentiful. The buffet's lunch and dinner was very good, but breakfast was not so good. I went to the Nightclub Cobalt inside the hotel and it was good, but if you plan on taking pictures for memories of fun times, don't! I was taking pics of my friends dancing and this rude security guard came up to me yelling "Mam, you can't take pictures in here!" I replied "In here, the club? I though that only applied to the casino". He said in a nasty tone "No! No where in the hotel!". Mind you, there are signs posted all over the casino saying "no picture taking in the casino". Nothing about anywhere else! it was other people taking pictures in the club but he had to single me out. Also if you plan on parking in the deck/garage and you have children with you, prepare to be harassed by security when you try to enter the building with them. I came in with my 11 and 2 year old and the guard ask me in an arrogant tone, "where are you going with those babies?" I replied, "to my room, would you like to see my key? I am a guest here." How embarrassing! All in all, the best part of my stay was the tower and winning at a slot. Other than that, it was just ok. Would I recommend this place, probably not. Would I stay here again? Only if I didn't have to deal with some of their rude staff!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
virginia MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

There was a concert we were seeing so naturally we stayed the night. Our room was in the new hotel, gorgeous room, and the buffets are so reasonable and scrumptious!!! concerts are very reasonable with great seating just about anywhere. Breakfast buffets are yummy, don't miss out on this wonderful weekend getaway hotel!!!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Thunder Bay, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

We have stayed here before and opted to again. Then hotels in Duluth can be pricey but Black Bear is around 60 - you are about 20 minutes south of Duluth in Carlton (right of 35N) Its a busy casino hotel so the front lobby is always packed with people coming and going. The rooms in the Tower are good. Clean and quiet with comfortable beds and fairly large. We had the dinner buffet - it was typical (I'm not a big fan of buffets but my husband loves them) Our only problem was that they reassured us on check in that we would have internet in our room and we didnt. The lobby was down as well.

Room Tip: Dont judge your room by the lobby - the rooms are quite nice - always ask for and pay the extra to b...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Washburn, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

I've stayed in the "new" tower portion and in the older portion of the hotel. I have to agree the rooms in the tower portion are much nicer than the older, although for the price, the older portion is not bad at all. The noise in the older portion is a little worse, especially if you are near the pool area.
I've always found the rooms very clean and everything in working order. Beds are comfortable with plenty of pillows and blankets. Lot of hot water with good pressure in the showers. Jacuzzi rooms are wonderful. Staff is always friendly and helpful.
The buffet is always delicious, well-stocked, with good service. The customer service staff has always been accomodating with any request I've had (within reason).
I always enjoy my stay at Black Bear

Room Tip: Tower rooms are absolutely beautiful, but from what I've seen, you won't be slumming in the...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Thunder Bay, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

I stay at the hotel several times a year. The tower rooms are awesome! I have never had a bad experience. As a business traveller I can tell you that the cleanliness is on par with high end chains like the Hiltons. I always sleep soundly. The hotel is quiet, it is either because the rooms are sound proof or because they do not allow alcohol on the premises. GREAT POLICY! You don't have to listen to drunks running up and down the halls like lunatics. The 2 restaurants on site have amazing food. I recommend the petite filet at Seven Fires Steak House. Starbucks coffee in the coffee shop. Minutes from downtown Duluth and Superior and driving distance to the twin cities. Love this place!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn Park, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

After many losing trips to Hinckley, my friend and I decided to try Black Bear. Had a room for two nights(Sun/Mon) on the 12th floor in the tower and it was nice and clean. Housekeeping very efficient and friendly. Rooms have a video game console(rent by the hour) if you have kids to keep busy. The arcade was small, dark, and half the games didn't work. Casino has around 2,000 machines so there is something for everyone. Hit more good bonuses in 24 hours at Black Bear than I had hit in my last 5 trips to Hinckley. They also gave us(each) $5 in free play for both days we stayed when signing up for a card, and $3 off any restaurant for both days also. The buffet was great - both for dinner and breakfast. All employees were friendly and helpful. I did have one scary experience, though. When I went up to my room around 3AM my key wouldn't work. Went down to the front desk and the woman reswiped my key after I gave her the room number, but she never asked for any info or ID - kind of disturbing. Will definetely be returning to Black Bear - so far the loosest machines I've found in MN!

Room Tip: Tower rooms a little more, but worth it.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

The rooms and entire building are filthy. The rooms in the tower have a nice bed and tv, but that is it. The old part is just disgusting. Rooms are dusty and there are stains on every square inch of surface area. It looks like this place has not been deep cleaned in over a decade. The furniture and tvs need some serious upgrading. The shower and sink has been dirty in 3 of the 4 rooms we've stayed in this year. I also check the beds and sheets as well. You have a 1 in 3 chance of having clean sheets on both beds. The pull-out couches should be burned they are that gross. The staff is rude, unhappy, and disrespectful to say the least. This is especially true in the hotel side. I certainly do not advise anyone to stay at this hotel. Please drive across the street and check in at the American Inn. Much cleaner and friendly customer service.

• Stayed March 2013

Been to Black Bear Casino Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!