“A nightmare visit” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Carlton
New Brighton
“A nightmare visit”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

The staffewas not helpful at all. There was a party going on in the room next door to me and I called to inform her about this at 10:00 PM. The noise, profane language and violence continued and I called two addtional times. The police should have been called at this point and I informed the attendant of this. I had two young children with me, as a single mom I was very afraid! The attendant didnt even apologize for me having to call in the complaint. Are parties always allowed like this? If so, I wont be staying again and I will let my friends and relatives know as well.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with AmericInn Hotels and Suites

54 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Pretty much your basic chain motel. Clean, well-kept, with the one exception of the hair in the bathroom drain. Pool and hot tub area was also clean, though I would have preferred the hot tub to be a bit hotter. Right off the interstate, so very convenient to that and also no chance of getting lost.

Breakfast was pretty decent, with eggs and sausage in addition to make-your-own waffles, cereal, toast/break, pastries, juice, coffee, etc.

It’s about 2-3 miles to downtown Carlton, such as it is, and another 3 miles or so to the state park. If you don’t mind riding a little on some local roads, you can get right on the bike trail and go all the way to Duluth or Hinkley.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Stayed here for one night while traveling. All the hotels in the Duluth are are very full and very over-priced late in the summer. The Americinn was very simple but also very clean. The room has a mini-fridge, microwave, and a nice flat screen. The WiFi was decent and the breakfast was adequate. The walls were a bit thin and the water temp fluctuated in the shower. Considering my options for a Saturday night in August, the Americinn was a very good value.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Plymouth, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

I booked this in advance through Priceline since we were travelling to Duluth for an event, and everything else was booked up near/in Duluth. After a long day and night, we drove to this hotel and attempted to check in. We were told by the guy at the front desk that their staffer, "Chris messed up," and therefore never actually entered a reservation in their system for us, and they had no more rooms. I have NEVER EVER EVER had this happen to me before in my whole life. I have stayed at many hotels all over the world...even places where I could not speak the native language. So, apparently this hotel employs incompetent people. The front desk guy was very slow to try to rectify the situation, and after we asked him what they were going to do, he called AmericInn in Cloquet and got us a room there, which was quite frankly the least he could do to make up for "Chris" totally screwing everything up. When we asked him how to get there, he gave us the most confusion directions, and then took about 20 more minutes to print us directions while talking to us about where he is from and other details about himself that none of us needed to know. When we left, we realized the hotel was basically in a straight line from where we were. I have no idea why he made it sound so difficult and why he even mapquested it, frankly.
So then we had to drive there and check in. This is totally unacceptable and wasted a lot of our time. What if there were no rooms in Cloquet? We would have been out on the street? Our whole group was extremely upset and delayed by this incident and barely had time to rest much before leaving for the next day's events. I would never book another reservation here again!!!!!!!!!!

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Carlton hotels

Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

We stayed here because the Black Bear casino was full. We stay there several times a year.
We also stay at other Americinns. It was quiet as all of them are. The window looked out on the
woods and it was a pretty view. Our room was clean and updated and smoke free.
The breakfast room was very small. We did not eat there. We went over to the casino for the
breakfast buffet we have enjoyed before. It is good to know we have an alternative.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back face the woods. The front is the parking lot.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Minnesota City, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

We have stayed at many AmericInn Hotels and this one was below the normal experience. The facility is aged and I believe they are in "upgrade" mode but the room we got wasn't one of them. The lobby was nice but small as well as the breakfast area. The pool was ok but wouldn't say it was great. Most of the hotel seemed clean but in need of updates. The room was fair size with the sink area for the bathroom outside of the bathroom by the front door. The vanity area was small. The air conditioning unit was noisy but worked. If this is the only hotel in the area available it wouldn't be a bad option but I am sure there must be other choices.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgraded room when making reservations.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Emo, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

We stayed at the AmericInn Lodge and Suites Carlton for one evening because we were attending a concert at the Blackbear Casino, and the Casino hotel rooms were sold out.

I must say that I am glad that we discovered this place, since it is a charming and quiet Inn very close to the venue, and more importantly SMOKE FREE! After attending the show and having dinner at the Casino, we walked around for 20 minutes through the gambling area, but my husband and I could not handle the smoke and were glad to return the AmericInn and its clean and fresh-smelling environment! We were happy to find out that the pool area was open 24 hours to adult guests, so we grabbed out suits and sat in the hot tub for an hour or so. The Temperature could have been hotter though, as it was luke-warm at best.
Our bed was comfy and the view from the room was a peaceful view of the forested area out back. I love the furnishings as they are well made and heavy wood, in excellent condition. The room was very clean and we were thankful for the free wifi in our room.

ALL THE STAFF, were friendly, helpful and speedy with check-in guest, needs and check-out!
The free continental breakfast is the same as most places, so we found enough to eat to feel satisfied, but I wish there was sausage patty instead of biscuit and gravy. Also, the yogurts could be lower in sugar as they were all very sweet. Overall, if we are going back to the area for any more concerts, I will look into this hotel first!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the back, they are very quiet and have a nice view!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to AmericInn Lodge & Suites Carlton? Share your experiences!