“Inconvenient and dated” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Carlton
Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
“Inconvenient and dated”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

I was really disappointed in the quality of this hotel. Lobby area was okay but the room was dated and didn't feel clean. There was a heater lining 3 of the 4 walls in the hotel with big signs warning not to place anything near them, so our luggage was in the middle of the floor. Very dark and dreary thanks to the poor color choices when designing the rooms. Biggest issue was no elevator and no assistance getting luggage to my room. As a single female traveling alone with my child to see Bentleyville and the Polar Express for Christmas, it was a challenge to drag suitcases up and down a flight of stairs by myself while keeping an eye on my son. At least our room was right next to the stairs. Not sure how a multi story hotel can get away without having an elevator these days. Won't stay here again. Wish I had stayed across the way at the Black Bear.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

I loved how clean the whole place is, especially their pool. The rooms are cheap and they have a fridge, microwave, and lcd tv in each room. You can open the windows in every room I've stayed in. They rooms are kind of small, but we managed 3 kids and 3 adults no proplem.

• Stayed January 2013
Duluth, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Heading to Black Bear Casino for a concert so decided to grab a room close by and stayed at AmericInn in Carlton, Mn. Room was clean, beds were ok, and the breakfast was great! Only issue is that the room was very dry. I know it has to do with this time of year, but yikes.. all of us could hardly swallow in the morning. Maybe it was all the smoke at the casino, but I know the room was dry.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
REMER
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

my wife and i stay there the weekend of the 16th. there was a bit of a problem at check but the lady behind the desk got it taken care of. The room was what we expected, a single queen with cable tv and refig, microwave and coffee maker. The only problem that concerned us was the semi that was parked in the parking lot with his generator running all night. when we said something to the front desk there had the driver move it. the breakfast was good with plenty of food, even when we got to it later then most. The eggs and biscuit and gravy were hot and tasty, The pool and hot tub was a relaxing feature, my wife and i had the place all to ourselfs. We'd stay here again when in the area.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Saint Paul, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

This hotel is fine - It's neither amazing nor awful. The location is excellent - right off the freeway. The hotel is small and old. It really could use some upgrading. The decor of our room looked like it hadn't been changed in about 15-20 years. We often choose AmericInn if it's an available option - we really like the soundproofing and that each room has a fridge. This hotel also had both, but it wasn't as nice as others we have stayed in. On the other hand, it wasn't a hole, either.

We didn't have any issues with check-in, the hotel was clean, and breakfast was plentiful in the morning. We liked that the pool was open 24 hrs and was adults-only after 10 pm. We felt it was a bit expensive for what it was, though.

We probably would stay here again if we had occasion to be in the area and needed a place to stay. If you stay here expecting to stay in the lap of luxury, you'll probably be disappointed, but if you're just looking for a reasonably economical choice for a place to crash, it's not a bad choice.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

I always believe in starting with the positive, so I would give this hotel, if that's what you want to call it, 4 stars for location. Also, the free breakfast was decent... Alright, so that was the positive. The hotel was pretty dirty. My white socks literally turned black from walking on the floors, I may have gotten bit by bed bugs, the toilet and sink did not work, and of the two days they should have cleaned the room...they did only one. I feel like we should have received some type of compensation or refund due to the numerous issues. I can't say that I would recommend this hotel to anyone unless location and breakfast are your only requirements.

Room Tip: One not in this hotel....
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Carlton hotels

Blue Springs, Missouri, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

We stopped here at 9:30 at night as a last resort. Front lobby looked fine, but room was very musty smelling, helped after turned on air. I noticed the carpet looked dirty so put on a pair of socks rather than walking bare foot. Glad I did, my white socks were black when I took them off. Then breakfast bar at 8:30 was very empty, needed hot stuff replenished. Told the girl and she said ok and 20 minutes later still hadn't done anything so we ate cold stuff. Would not recommend this place to anyone. On top of that it was $109. Bad price, bad service.

Room Tip: If all rooms are this dirty I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to AmericInn Lodge & Suites Carlton? Share your experiences!