“Recent Experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Quill and Quilt Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cannon Falls
Quill and Quilt Bed and Breakfast
GreenLeadersBronze level
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Recent Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

I recently stayed at the Quill and Quilt for the one year anniversary of myself and my girlfriend. This bed and breakfast was everything I could have possibly imagined and I have nothing but wonderful things to stay about the quality of the breakfast, the room (Writer's Loft), the ambiance, the spa, and the proximity to restaurants, bars, wineries, and social activities. I had a fantastic experience and would highly recommend this bed and breakfast and the Writer's Loft room to anyone looking for a romantic getaway.

Room Tip: The Writer's Loft room had an amazing bathroom and whirlpool.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

94 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

I was given a Crowd Cut coupon to use for this B&B. Wasn't a hotel or town I would have chosen on my own so I wasn't greatly looking forward to it, but was very pleasantly surprised and had a very good time.

Did have a bit of confusion/trouble making the reservation and using the coupon at first, but eventually it worked out. They also don't take young children so we had to find a sitter so that has pros and cons for couples looking to get away.

Stayed in the Writer's Loft which is nice and more modern than I expected (a good thing!) and has an enormous bathroom!

During the week you don't get breakfast at the B&B which I thought was a little odd, but you get a coupon for basically all you can eat at a cafe down the street. I actually think I prefer this - the cafe was awesome (I'll be doing a review of it too - New Maket Deli I believe?) and we could go on our own time and at our own pace (something I don't love about other B&Bs). Also got a coupon for a bottle of wine at a winery just a couple blocks away so we did a tasting there and bought a bottle.

Not a lot to do in Cannon Falls but Northfield is very close - a great little college town - so you can also easily get there to spend some time. I'm sure there is more to do in the area if you're going to take advantage of outdoor activities on the river/trail which is right by the B&B.

Overall a really nice trip!

Room Tip: Really enjoyed Writer's Loft
Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Madison, Wisconsin, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

I bought a Groupon voucher for 3 nights, two 45-minute massages, chocolates, wine, two robes, and a cheese plate. I feel that it was well worth it, and it's the perfect get-away if you're looking for some peace and quiet. The Quill and Quilt has the charm of an older house, but everything is clean, and it has nice modern amenities--like that luxurious jetted tub!

Cannon Falls is a small town. Don't come here if you're looking for excitement, or aren't willing to travel 20 minutes for a good dinner (in Newfield). It is ideal if you enjoy kayaking, biking, walking by the river, or puttering around a little town. It took me two e-mails and one phone call (spread out over a couple of weeks) to set a massage appointment with Anna, but she's very nice and gives an excellent massage. Cynthia (sp?) was a gracious greeter, and Matt is also personable and comfortable being himself. Don't believe the reviewers that indicate that he's insensitive; he's just not one of those annoying, perky, monopolize-the-conversation people. Little details like the warm cookies, bath salts, and hand-crafted soap also add welcoming touches. Breakfast on the weekend was quite nice--quiche, muffin, fruit parfait, and turkey sausage the first day; potatoes and turkey sausage, scone, and berries the second. Little elves note your comings and goings and and fix your bed, leave wine (if that was in your deal), leave vouchers for breakfast, and change the towels so quietly that I never knew who did it.

I will definitely recommend this B&B to my friends.

Room Tip: -The Colvill room is the largest--it has a jacuzzi tub and shower, little balcony, and feels the mos...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Rosemount, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

My husband and I decided to play hooky early in the week and spend a nice evening at the bed and breakfast. We were charmed from the minute we stepped on the cozy porch with oversized rockers and tables that beckoned us to grab a glass of wine or cup of complimentary tea to enjoy the perfect June evening. Our room, the Colville Suite, offered all the charm of days-gone-by with the modern conveniences we've come to expect . . . Flat screen t.v., DVDs, coffee in the room, wifi, and air conditioning. The bed was very comfortable with wonderful down pillows.
It was a bit disappointing that the breakfast part of this B&B actually took place at a local deli two blocks away! We were told that breakfast was only served at the B&B on weekends. The positive aspect of this is that my husband needed to be up early to leave for work in Minneapolis and he was able to eat earlier than 9:30 a.m.
It's true that Cannon Falls can be a sleepy small town fully explored in one day, but that's part of its charm. If you like activities, look into staying on weekends that have local events hosted by the Cannon Valley Winery, the city of Cannon Valley, or nearby cities and vineyards! We live 20 miles north of here and are never short of events to keep us busy!

Room Tip: The Colville Suite offers a fireplace for cozy winter nights or a balcony to enjoy summer evenings.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

This was my third stay and my boyfriends first stay at the Quill and Quilt. We arrived on Friday, early evening, with enough daylight for a walk along the river. Our room was on the third floor with nice views, along with quality shades if you preferred to be private and sleep in. The owner was, as before, friendly and informative, and reminded us to help ourselves to the tea, cookies, movies and games. The rooms are extremely clean and comfortable and stocked with quality hand made soaps. After treating ourselves to a relaxing jacuzzi and a movie, both of us slept so well that we made a note to ask what kind of mattress is in the room. We awoke refreshed, made coffee in our room (which comes with quality coffee, sugare, cream, and nice ceramic mugs to drink out of), before heading out on another hike along the river. I have stayed at B&B's througout the US and Europe and this place is at the top of the list for quality and consistency. This place is a gem and I cannot wait to come back, again!!

Tofte, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

My husband and I booked with the Q&Q after purchasing a Groupon deal - and I'm so happy we did. Even though we only booked one night, we loved it from the second we pulled up to the house. Built in the late 1800, the house exudes the character and charm that immediately gives you a sense of comfort and coziness. And, everyone we met, from the other guests to the owner himself, were wonderful to talk with and made the experience even more enjoyable. While parts of it seemed a little less-than cozy (lots of rules and a bit of a 'if you don't like it, too bad' attitude in the information binder), it's clear that they want to make sure everyone's stay is a positive one.

When booking our room, Matt was great to work with and helped us find a day to use our coupon before it expired (they were booked solid and he made an exception for us to use the 1 night vs. the required 2 night stay for the remaining room). I would suggest if you are booking there, plan to book well in advance.

We stayed for breakfast this morning and even though it was served a bit late for me (being served at 9:30 – which is normal for probably 99% of humanity; unfortunately, I am an early riser apparently regardless of the day…much to my chagrin…) and it was delicious! What I loved even more about the food is that they buy the majority of it from local farms and they try to incorporate as many sustainably farmed and organic foods into every meal as possible (he said that our breakfast this morning was about 70% organic/sustainable). They had turkey sausage from the local Ferndale market, which we loved so much we went to buy some for ourselves on the way home!

We spent our day traipsing through Cannon Falls – hitting the Mill City Tavern (awesome atmosphere, upbeat and happy staff, food...pretty good) and the Cannon River Winery (awesome staff – Donna was fantastic, good wine and good music), then soaked in the tradition of Wiederholt’s Supper club for dinner.

The only drawback to the entire experience is that after a day, you’ve pretty much seen Cannon Falls (hey, it’s a small town, what do you expect?) – but I definitely wouldn’t argue with making day 2 a day of grabbing a good book, a glass of wine and soaking in the whirlpool tub at the Q&Q.

Room Tip: Ruth's room is comfortable, but a bit small (also, no dresser for clothes) if you're going t...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Gillemonge1, General Manager at Quill and Quilt Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, April 23, 2012
In response to comments on this topic, we decided to revise the books containing policy and general information and remove/edit (among other things) some attempts at "tongue in cheek" humor. The less colorful versions will grace the rooms shortly.

And this is a partial list of what we recommend doing while in Cannon Falls.

Outdoor
Bicycle, Roller Blade or Ski The Cannon Valley Trail
Walk the city trails, see The Falls, feed the ducks/fish/swans, walk along the Cannon River and through the parks with big old trees
Catch a Cannon Falls Bears baseball game, pay the $1 to sit in the shade. And – have a hot dog beer/coke, talk to the players.
Rent kayaks and take them down the river (or a canoe, or a raft)
Play Frisbee golf on the free course by the Cannon River in Hannah’s Bend Park
Golf the back nine at Summitt Golf Course or all 18 there or Cannon Golf Club
Enjoy dinner on the patio at The Cannon Golf Club (whether or not you like golf)
Go for a hike on the trails by Lake Byllesby
Stop by the Col. William Colvill Monument at The Cannon Falls Cemetary
Get ice cream from The Old Market Deli and go for a walk around town or on the trails.

Indoor
Visit The Cannon River Winery for a tasting and music
Wander through the Countryside Antique Mall
Visit Frog Creek Pottery just outside of town (or line up a pottery class out there)
Stop by The Ferndale Market
Drop a couple bucks in the jukebox and listen to your favorite songs while playing pool at Chugger’s Bar & Grill
Visit the Cannon Falls Museum (Saturdays only)
Stop by The Cannon Valley Coffee House for music and to play air hockey.

And if you have them, bring your boat, snowmobiles or motorcycle (and ask us where to use them)
Elk River, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

This was our second trip to the Quill and Quilt and will hopefully be just the second of many more to come. Like last time, the staff was fantastic! Cynthia greeted us warmly upon arrival with yummy treats and gave us information on the house and the various rooms (which were absolutely gorgeous)! She even gave us recommendations for places to eat and suggestions for entertainment. We decided to grab a bite to eat in town and then stayed in to enjoy our gorgeous room. The Quill and Quilt has a fabulous selection of movies to choose from which we took full advantage of. We stayed in the Colvill Suite which was exquisite and I honestly couldn't find anything to complain about. Because we stayed on a weeknight, breakfast was not available at the Quill and Quilt, but there are coffee makers in each room as well as a tea/coffee station downstairs which is fantastic! We had breakfast at the Coffee House in town (included with our stay) and the pastries and breakfast sandwiches were fantastic! We had only tried the Deli on our previous trip, so it was great to see something new. Like I said, we had no complaints and will definitely be staying there again in the future!

Room Tip: The Colvill Suite is HUGE with an awesome jacuzzi tub and private balcony. Great for those romantic...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Gillemonge1, General Manager at Quill and Quilt Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, April 12, 2012
This is great, we are glad these folks had two nice stays with us! --- Regarding weekday breakfast. The Old Market Deli is/was closed for about 3 weeks so we worked out a similar deal with the Cannon Valley Coffee House. --- The Deli has more options, but both are good places and we will likely be offering both to customers staying in the off-season during the week, and other days we don’t have our breakfast - or to anyone preferring this to our in house full service breakfast. --- Additionally, starting in May, we will be providing our full service breakfast more frequently, based on occupancy.--- From June-August, we are planning to serve breakfast on Mondays & Fridays and probably many Tuesday-Thursday mornings where it looks like we will have 3 or more rooms.

Been to Quill and Quilt Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!