“Excellent value for money” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club

You added Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club to your Saves list
Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Shrigley Park Pott Shrigley Nr. Macclesfield, Pott Shrigley SK10 5SB, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Pott Shrigley
Peak District
“Excellent value for money”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

I stayed at this hotel last weekend for a spa break and it was a fabulous place to stay and the food and staff couldn't have been more helpful. The place is just on the edge of the Peak District and a beautiful environment overlooking a lake and interesting walks around the grounds.
I would definitely recommend to others and feel confident that they would have a nice stay.
One disappointment was having a 1 hour beauty treatment in a room next door to the swimming pool and although the treatment itself was good it wasn't really a relaxing environment and very noisy.

Room Tip: Pay a bit extra and ask for a room on the front of the building overlooking the fabulous view.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Saffron C, Guest Relations Manager at Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Dear AnnePeakDistrict,

Thank you for your lovely review following your recent stay here with us at Shrigley Hall Hotel, part of the Puma Collection. Great to read you had a fabulous spa break and you thouroughly enjoyed the beautiful surroundings we are set in. I apologise for the slight issue with your treatment and the noise and will pass this comment on to the Beauty department, overall I will ensure to pass your praise on to the team. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Saffron

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

Had an impromptu weekend away. The setting is lovely and check in was straight forward. Our room was clean,but dated. Went to the spa for some relaxation. The changing rooms are cramped, showers in need of maintenance. The general condition of the whole spa was poor. It was very bright and cramped. Not enough space for guests..we stayed about 20 minutes and went back to the room. Evening meal was an effort. The service was very slow. There was no organisation with the waiting staff. Eventually got the main course, but it was dry as it had clearly been sitting on the hot plate for ages. Also ordered a bottle of wine,but after chasing it, as it hadn't appeared for 30 minutes,we were told that it wasn't in stock and had to re-order! The duty manger came over and did her best to explain. In fairness to her she didn't charge us for the wine, but the whole kitchen and restaurant needs organisation. This was the same for breakfast..it was chaos. The actual staff are pleasant, but the hotel is in desperate need of a overhaul of it's working practices. Whist we had some quality time together, I wouldn't come back.

Stayed January 2014
Dear Silversufer,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us. I'm upset to read of your experience during your stay and for this I must sincerely apologise. I do know our Lesiure and Spa department have been really busy over the recent weekends, I will pass the comments to the Leisure Manager regarding the space during busy periods. Our restaurant has had a few busy weekends, however this is no excuse for you waiting for food or to re-order out of stock wine and this will be talked through with our restaurant manager to review this system and training to prevent this from happening again. Again I apologise and I hope we can welcome you back again in the near future to allow us to impress you whilst spending further quality time together.

Bolton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

Beautiful looking hotel from the outside, with gorgeous views. Our room was definately in need of refurbishment. The bathroom was big, bright and not bad but the bedroom was very dark and drab. Thought we would relax and read a book before the party we were attending. No way could you read anything in that light.The room was very cold when we arrived, the radiator had been turned off. It was only when we came back after the party and realised it was leaking, we knew why. Breakfast was very nice and the service we received was ok.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear jean lee l,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay here with us. I'm sorry to read you didn't find your room suitable for reading due to the lighting conditions, I will look into the room in which you stayed and make our maintenance team aware along with the radiator issue. Again I apologise. I hope we can welcome you back in the near future.

Innerleithen, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

Gorgeous looking hotel and grounds from the outside, in a lovely location. Family rooms are right at the other end of the hotel, and have clearly been forgotten about - drab, and didn't feel very clean as the room was in need of a complete refurb. That said, we got a good deal with DBB. The restaurant was lovely, great food and extremely friendly staff, so it does pain me to give a poor review of the overall hotel. Don't make the mistake we made, and let your 5-year old son get excited about the pitch and putt before you look at it yourself - it's very small, and had been damaged by the strong winds (fair enough, but please close it, or don't try to charge us £9 to play!).

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Mandy R,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay here with us. I'm upset to read of your disappointment with our family rooms, our hotel has a quirky nature to it which means our family rooms have been built as part of the new build of the hotel, however there is no excuse for them feeling unclean and will pass this to our housekeeping manager. As stated we have experienced very high winds over the winter period and I will make it a priority to look in to the pitch and putt's condition. Lovely you found our restaurant experience great and our staff friendly. I do hope we can welcome yourself and your family back in the near future.

Grimsby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

I have stayed numerous occasions at Shrigley Hall, my company spend a fortune in this place...., and must say that my visit 2 weeks ago proves that it's all getting a bit tired.
I arrive on a windy/wet night and went to my room, In the old part of the building, spent the whole night listening to my old single glazed wooden windows rattle & rattle.
The room was cold and bathroom colder...... I always get a bit suspicious when you enter a room and the first thing that greets you is a portable heater ready to be used!
The furniture in the room was also a bit tired as well, well scuffed in places.
Breakfast..... typical attempt of a large hotel at a good breakfast, inedible bacon and fried eggs like erasers. Told the waitress to get some fresh eggs cooked.
Interestingly as well, the large conference room we was in beginning to tire as well...... significant old water damage on the ceiling needs tidying up.
Don't get me wrong......... lovely setting etc etc but significant investment required to warrant 4 star quality rating......... luckily I don't pay for this..... if I had at prevailing rate would have needed to discuss with hotel my thoughts.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Dear Colin M,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay here with us. I'm disappointed to read of your recent stay not being up to expectation and I sincerely apologise for this. Our hotel is very traditional and dates back to 1825, however we are undergoing a refurbishment programme which will carry on throughout 2014 to give the hotel an uplift, this will include the bedrooms and conference rooms which have recently undergone a significant makeover. I will ensure to pass your comments on to the breakfast supervisor regarding keeping the food refreshed and of high quality, I apologise for this. I do hope we can keep welcoming you back to stay with us via your company and that you enjoy the positive chnages we are continuing to make.

Macclesfield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

Shrigley Hall Hotel is yet to disappoint. When returning this is always a worry, but if anything the food in the restaurant seemed even more delicious! The swimming pool is always a great place to unwind after a long drive and in such lovely surroundings. The staff are friendly and the room clean and well furnished. The only small negative is that the new and older parts of the building create a bit of a warren when trying to find your room.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Saffron C, Guest Relations Manager at Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club, responded to this review, January 18, 2014
Dear Sara D,

Thank you for your great review following your recent stay here with us at Shrigley Hall Hotel, part of the Puma Collection. Lovely to read you had another perfect stay with us and found the dinner in the Oakridge restaurant delicious, I will ensure to pass this praise on to the Chef. Thanks for your comments towards the signage across the new and old part of the hotel, we are looking into renewing this. I look forward to welcoming you back for another enjoyable stay soon.

Lymington, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

This was a package deal organised by our local coach company who we cannot fault. We arrived late after a long journey. Driver got a little bit lost trying to locate the hotel. There were 4 of us in our party. Our room was a long way from the dining room and other facilties and consequently a long, cold walk. It was October. Lots of stairs to climb too. Our room was pretty basic. When we viewed our relatives room it was far superior, in a better location and with better facilities. Meals were good but we often had to wait a very long time to be served and had to keep catching the eye of the waiter/waitresses. The hotel is in a pleasant location. However, there were some very dangerous health and safety issues. On the first night our brother-in-law went to open the sash window in their room but it was not secure and came crahing down onto his hand causing a very nasty injury which necessitated calling for help and then a 999 trip to hospital A & E Dept. in Macclesfield where his finger was stitched up. It was lucky he withdraw his hand quickly, otherwise it would have been much worse. Blood everywhere and no sleep that night on their return after a 4 hr wait for treatment. I also noticed that one of the steps leading up to the front door of the hotel was out of place and wobbly. There were several elderly people on our trip, some of which needed walking sticks. Should they have stumbled over this step, they would have fallen badly. I reported it to the staff on Reception who came and took a look. Whilst we were compensated fully for the cost of our holiday, I feel these events should never have happened in the first place and it totally spoilt our break away and also having to deal every day with various Managers. Not what you want when you go away. When our room was cleaned, pyjamas etc., were just left screwed up wherever we had left them, so not good.

Room Tip: Ask for one closer to dining area and lounges.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Saffron C, Guest Relations Manager at Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
Dear Frances N,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay here with us. I must first sincerely apologise regarding the events that occured during your holiday and must agree that these shouldn't have happened. Your brother-in-law's incident was reported for the attention of the hotel and our maintenance team have seen to the window in the room. The hotel is currently undergoing a refurbishment programme to up date bedrooms and the exterior of the hotel. I do apologise for the inconsistency you received seeing different management, sometimes this can't be helped with shift patterns, however I can see how this would be frustrating. I will take all points back to my team to go through, review and put new procedures in place. I really hope we can welcome you back in the near future to experience the positive changes in place throughout the hotel.

Saffron

Been to Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club? Share your experiences!