“KathFrankBarton” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club

You added Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club to your Saves list
Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Shrigley Park Pott Shrigley Nr. Macclesfield, Pott Shrigley SK10 5SB, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Pott Shrigley
Lymington, England, United Kingdom
“KathFrankBarton”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

This was a package deal organised by our local coach company who we cannot fault. We arrived late after a long journey. Driver got a little bit lost trying to locate the hotel. There were 4 of us in our party. Our room was a long way from the dining room and other facilties and consequently a long, cold walk. It was October. Lots of stairs to climb too. Our room was pretty basic. When we viewed our relatives room it was far superior, in a better location and with better facilities. Meals were good but we often had to wait a very long time to be served and had to keep catching the eye of the waiter/waitresses. The hotel is in a pleasant location. However, there were some very dangerous health and safety issues. On the first night our brother-in-law went to open the sash window in their room but it was not secure and came crahing down onto his hand causing a very nasty injury which necessitated calling for help and then a 999 trip to hospital A & E Dept. in Macclesfield where his finger was stitched up. It was lucky he withdraw his hand quickly, otherwise it would have been much worse. Blood everywhere and no sleep that night on their return after a 4 hr wait for treatment. I also noticed that one of the steps leading up to the front door of the hotel was out of place and wobbly. There were several elderly people on our trip, some of which needed walking sticks. Should they have stumbled over this step, they would have fallen badly. I reported it to the staff on Reception who came and took a look. Whilst we were compensated fully for the cost of our holiday, I feel these events should never have happened in the first place and it totally spoilt our break away and also having to deal every day with various Managers. Not what you want when you go away. When our room was cleaned, pyjamas etc., were just left screwed up wherever we had left them, so not good.

Room Tip: Ask for one closer to dining area and lounges.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Saffron C, Guest Relations Manager at Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
Dear Frances N,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay here with us. I must first sincerely apologise regarding the events that occured during your holiday and must agree that these shouldn't have happened. Your brother-in-law's incident was reported for the attention of the hotel and our maintenance team have seen to the window in the room. The hotel is currently undergoing a refurbishment programme to up date bedrooms and the exterior of the hotel. I do apologise for the inconsistency you received seeing different management, sometimes this can't be helped with shift patterns, however I can see how this would be frustrating. I will take all points back to my team to go through, review and put new procedures in place. I really hope we can welcome you back in the near future to experience the positive changes in place throughout the hotel.

Saffron

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (316)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

Stayed here mid December with my other half was booked to be there for our companies xmas party but it got cancelled a week or two earlier. We decided still to go as we had booked the room ourselves due to a free night from hotels.com so as we had chosen a non cancellation deal we still went rather than loose out.
The room small ,adequate and clean was a bit away from everything and took us forever to walk to and from the rest of the hotel.down corridors and stairs etc.
We used the leisure club, the pool was a lot smaller than i was expecting and the seating in the spa pool was a bit weird. The steam and sauna rooms were fine.
We had a meal in one of the function rooms which was very good with excellent service ,breakfast was good too in a very nice room and they even had fried bread which is rare.
Only problem we found that not using sat nav and my eyes instead to locate the hotel you have to go past the hotel to find it then come back on yourself. Maybe a few more signs before the actual entrance wouldn't go a miss.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Bunny74,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay here with us at Shrigley Hall Hotel, part of the Puma Collection. I'm glad you still decided to visit us even though your works Christmas Party didn't go ahead and you overall had an enjoyable stay and got to use most of our facilities on offer; I will ensure to pass your feeback on to the rest of the team regarding signage. I hope to welcome you back again soon to sample more fried bread.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

We Love Shrigley Hall! Set in a beautiful picturesque location. An extraordinary building with fantastic food and luxury accommodation. We use this hotel for romantic breaks and afternoon tea. It has a relaxing feel to it and won't disappoint.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Saffron C, Guest Relations Manager at Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Dear missevans,

Thank you for your great review following your recent stay here with us at Shrigley Hall Hotel, part of the Puma Collection. Lovely to read your excellent thoughts on the hotel and glad your visits are relaxing with the fantastic food and accommodation. I hope to welcome you back again soon for more romantic breaks and afternoon teas.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

I booked Shrigley Hall Hotel as a spur of the moment get away for my partner and myself. There was an on-line deal that included the room, a 3 course dinner, a bottle of wine and breakfast, at an all-inclusive price.
Overall the trip was very enjoyable and the hotel was lovely, there were, however, a few things that let the place down.
- One of the things my girlfriend was really looking forward to was to relax, after a particularly stressful week, in the steam room. Unfortunately when we got to the steam room we were greeted with a sign saying "steam room closed, parts ordered." While I understand facilities break from time to time, no one had made us aware of this, and if facilities are broken I think something to compensate this inconvenience should always be provided. We felt very disappointed.
- The food in the restaurant was really good quality and very tasty, however we felt the staff let it down. During the evening meal, there were a number of times we had to ask different staff twice for things, for example butter to go with our cheese and biscuits.
Half way through our meal the staff started to prepare the restaurant for breakfast, which I felt was really rude and unprofessional. We may have been the last people in the restaurant, but we were still eating. One of the staff eventually asked us if we minded them setting up for breakfast, but this was a good 20 minutes into them breaking down the restaurant.
At breakfast, we waited a good 10 minutes to be seated, the 1 waitress on duty clearly saw us waiting but chose to ignore us a look after the customers already sat down. We eventually sat ourselves down, and then had to manually hunt down the waitress to order breakfast and coffee.
In summary, a beautiful property, and a nice hotel to stay at, but I felt the restaurant staff and the lack of one of the key facilities for us, let the stay down.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear ashwood24,

Thank you for your review following your recent visit here with us. I'm glad to read overall you and your partner had an enjoyable stay, however I must apologise for the points that let it down for you. Regarding the steam room this is in the process of being fixed and we have now changed the procedure in which we inform guests of facilities. Again I apologise for the experience in the restaurant and will take these points to the Restaurant Manager for training standards and ensure these are put in place and maintained. I do hope we can welcome you back in the near future to experience the positive changes being made throughout the hotel.

manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

I decided to take a break just after Christmas on New Years Day and take advantage of the Puma hotel deals.
Pott Shrigley is a very nice location surrounded by Cheshire countryside but seven miles from Stockport and a couple to Macclesfield its grounds include a full size golf course which includes lots of trails and walks and great views.
The leisure centre is in an old converted church building.
A full buffet breakfast is offered with eggs cooked to choice and this was very hot and tasty.
The Dinner menu was varied and well presented my only minor issue was the special deal menu we used had a fairly high up charge for the steak but not a big deal really.
The rooms are excellent, clean and comfortable even if they are being upgraded.
My real reason for writing is regarding the service which is superb, everyone went out of the way to make us feel good, the receptionist , quick, helpful, informed, smart and listens.
The waiters and waitresses - can not be faulted from the smiles the efficiency, helpfulness and humor even after a Christmas and New Years busy schedule.
The leisure/fitness staff - smiles and very helpful.
I would like to thank them all for making both mine and my wives stay so very good, the hotel is full of history and in an ideal location with lovely rooms but the biggest asset is its great team which makes the hotel a must for us to return too.
They all deserve a big bonus and some recognition about there importance in the hotels success.
Thanks and a Happy 2014 to them all.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear agecroft,

Thank you for your very thoughful review following your recent visit here with us at Shrigley Hall Hotel, part of the Puma Collection. I'm delighted to read of yours and your wife's excellent stay and that everything was to your liking from the idillic surroundings to our variety of eggs. It's a delight to pass on your praise to all the team here, in which they will be most grateful. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
A very happy New Year to you both too.

Shropshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

Whilst the setting for the hotel is superb, the description online of the delux rooms was misleading and my room was no larger than many others are a less cost. The only advantage was a bath robe and water! (Tap water is not drinkable!!!) Very poor value for money if you take the delux rooms. Also free WiFi very slow.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Dear BazzaHawkeye,

Thank you for your review following your recent visit here with us. I do apologise your experience within our deluxe room wasn't as expected on arrival, these are sold as our best rooms due to the view they receive over the Peak District. However I will take your comments back to the team regarding the value of the room. I do hope we can welcome you back in the near future.

Stockport, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

Stayed at hotel for a friends wedding last November. On arrival, early evening the hotel look fabulous. I was on my own and was advised I could dine in the bar area, as the restaurant was booked up, which I did. The staff in the bar were excellent, very polite and professional. The coq au vin was delicious. I am used to navigating hotel rooms, but I cannot believe I found my way back to my room later in the evening. 1 lift and a walk around the maze of corridors and doorways..... and another lift. So getting to and from these rooms will be difficult if you are not fit! My room must have been in the old part of the hotel, the room was nice with a double bed, had all the comforts but lacked a bit of charm. The bathroom was very basic. Breakfast the next day was excellent. From the other reviews it appears the hotel is having a facelift, which is needed. Overall I enjoyed my stay, and would recommend and visit again.

Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Saffron C, Guest Relations Manager at Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear Jo M,

Thank you for your lovely review following your recent visit here with us at Shrigley Hall Hotel, part of the Puma Collection. Nice to read you enjoyed your stay for your friends wedding. I will pass on your excellent praise to the staff and the chefs for the great food you received. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon for your next stay and for you to experience the new exciting changes being made throughout.

Saffron

Been to Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club? Share your experiences!