“Too big, too busy. No soul.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club

Save Saved
You added Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club to your Saves list
Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Shrigley Park Pott Shrigley Nr. Macclesfield, Pott Shrigley SK10 5SB, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Pott Shrigley
Esher, United Kingdom
“Too big, too busy. No soul.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

Lovely setting ..true BUT too many guests .. Very poor service.. Didn't even make up our room... Food took 50 minutes to arrive ... Vegetable soup absolutely tasteless, pasta dish uninspiring, steak tough and chewy! Breakfast was 'pile it high' a bit like school dinners. Really didn't live up to the period images. A real let down.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Steve C, Guest Relations Manager at Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Dear crossruff,

I was upset to read your comments following your recent stay here with us, I can assure you that your experience, especially in our restaurant, is not normal. I would like to thank you for your constructive feedback, we are always working hard to improve our standards and we will use your comments for such purposes. I hope that I can one day weclome you back to stay with us again.

793 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
cheshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

We arrived via rear enterance from the carpark. Nice enough hotel, asked about upgrades at reception on arrival and offered superior room for £30 extra: bigger room, robe slippers etc.

Upon entering the room room looked standard. Beds quite lumpy and topper thin. The windows were wide open with no way of closing them, we did try but sash windows and top area open. Shower water hot but not very powerful.

No robes or slippers in the room.

Went and used the pool which was adequate although a hosepipe running across the floor and into pool, with cold water running in. Jacuzzi too hot and smelt of chemicals.

Went back up to the room to get ready for evening meal and made use of the hair dryer only for my hair to get stuck in the motor at the back and we had to cut my hair free. Upon further inspection. The hair dryer was faulty and had no guard protection on the back.

Went and reported to reception about the hair dryer incident and that we paid or upgraded room and no robe etc, and dryer issue was skipped Over with no mention or appologies. Other than saying there must be a house keeping issue and will speak with duty manager as another room had not had robe and slippers.

Dinner was painfully slow, brioche burnt, drinks took too long and due to this didn't bother waiting for desert but told we have to pay for side order even though we've not had desert.

Very disappointed so much so , didn't bother to go to the bar for drinks after and have just gone to bed.

Now sat in the room writing this.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear pudding1234,

I was disappointed to read of the issues you faced whilst staying here recently, we pride ourselves on offering great hospitality and service and i'm sorry if that's not what you received. i am informed by my duty manager that he met with you on checkout to discuss and resolve the problems. I can assure you your stay is not indicative of our usual high standards and I hope it hasn't put you off returning.

Gloucester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Took advantage of a deal on superbreaks expecting a mediocre hotel due to price but found it amazing value in a gorgeous setting. All staff (and there were plenty of them) were helpful and friendly, the food was absolutely lovely including amazing breakfast. The spa facilities were very good. If I was to fault the weekend I really would be nit-picking. I would be very happy to try other puma hotels if this one is anything to go by :)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Sue M,

I was delighted to read your positive comments following your recent stay here at Shrigley Hall, part of the Puma Hotels Group. I'm really good our hotel and team exceeded your expectations and I look forward to welcoming you back here, to to any of the other hotels in the Puma Collection, in the near future

Workington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

We stayed at Shrigley hall for one night prior to flying from Manchester airport. At just over £100 for bed breakfast and evening meal, with a bottle of wine thrown in, it was excellent value.

The room was clean with a comfortable bed, although it was a trek of almost Himalayan proportions to get to it from the lobby. I wouldn't recommend this hotel if you have mobility issues. To compound this problem, there are only two disabled parking spaces.

We managed to cope with the trek, and it was well worth it, the food was first class and the service was excellent. Kyle offered food and wine recommendations that were well worth listening to, and Aiga was a huge help in getting us a very early breakfast, helping ensure we didn't miss our flight.

I would use this hotel again when travelling from Manchester airport.

One last tip.... Don't park on the grass, you may incur the wrath of the gardeners.

Dear Bluetealeaf,

I was delighted to read your positive comments following your recent stay here at Shrigley Hall, part of the Puma Hotels Group. I was especially pleased to receive your praise for both Kyle and Aiga, these comments have been passed onto them. I hope you find reason to return and stay with us very soon.

Macclesfield
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

It was a beautiful setting, but do not try to find your way without good directions needs better signage for the motorist. Also you could do with someone to find your room for you as we were up and down corridors for ages. Beware the chinese type of packaged tied food on the pre- wedding buffet. Apart from that and the lack of air conditioning in the venue rooms we had a good couple of days, rooms comfy and clean.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Elizabeth C,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay here with us. We are currently looking into the addition of more signage around the hotel and i'm pleased to say that both our function rooms are now air conditioned. I'm delighted that apart from these tweeks you enjoyed your stay and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

We attend this hotel for my cousins wedding in 2012, it was amazing to arrive up to such a beautiful hotel. we got checked in no problem and went off to find out room, it is a big hotel and had quite a few stairs which was a bit difficult for the older members of the wedding party but stairs are stairs after all. the grounds of the hotel are amazing and the entrance hall of the hotel was also. The staff were very friendly and had some good banter out of the bar staff. We both would stay here again with out hesitation. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear jayandemma,

I was delighted to read your positive comments following your recent stay here at Shrigley Hall, part of the Puma Hotels Group, to attend your cousin's wedding. I'm extremely pleased to read that you would highly recommend us and I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Lancasire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

Location was stunning , three course meal and afternoon tea was outstanding , breakfast fantastic , bar food was pretty god too . The room was spacious and bathroom very clean. There were lots of steps throughout the building which was a problem for my husband who was on crutches with a broken leg ad I'm not sure how well those in wheelchairs would cope . Overall though I would definitely go back again .

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Sally M,

I was delighted to read your positive comments following your recent stay here at Shrigley Hall, part of the Puma Hotels Group. It is true that due to the period nature and location of the hotel there are a number of steps; however, we do have rooms that are accessible just by lifts for those who find steps difficult. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Steve Cook

Been to Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club? Share your experiences!