“A smashing weekend” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club

You added Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club to your Saves list
Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Shrigley Park Pott Shrigley Nr. Macclesfield, Pott Shrigley SK10 5SB, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Pott Shrigley
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“A smashing weekend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

Stayed at the hotel which was very good. The spa was excellent the meals were also very good and the whole mood of the stay was great. The spa treatments were good and the relaxed atmosphere in the evening was excellent. Would definitely return with and try out the golf course which looked fantastic. The staff were helpful friendly and very professional altogether a smashing weekend.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (315)
North West UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

Went on an overnight spa break Really good value£139 per head for Dinner,B&B plus 2 mini treatments .Food good,drinks reasonable,treatments good.
Nice country hotel,rooms a bit dated ,pool/spa area a but tired .Staff and service excellent .Would go back.

• Stayed June 2013
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

I spent 2 days & 1 night at Shrigley Hall Hotel with my company on a team building and capability building conference. Shrigley was the perfect place for this, being in the countryside and fairly isolated to ensure everyone stayed together through the day and all evening. If you're looking for a city break however, this definitely isn't the right place.
The grounds are beautiful and, although I didn't think too take my clubs, the golf course also looked quite decent too!
The staff were really friendly, and they put on a great feast for myself and a large number of colleagues.
The reason I have given 4 and not 5 stars is purely because I felt the staff could have made more of a presence and the spa was a bit disappointing...the jacuzzi was closed and the steam room wasn't in the best condition.
Despite this, I would thoroughly recommend this for a business occasion, to catch up with old friends or for a romantic retreat.
Enjoy!

• Stayed June 2013
Dumfries
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

My husband and I had a 3 night DB &B break here in June and were impressed with the setting and the quality of the food. When we first arrived we were advised that as we were leisureclub members we had been upgraded from a standard double room to a de luxe. When we were shown our upgraded room (211) we were so disappointed as it was very dull and oppressive as it did not have a window. The only light came from 2 skylights and being claustrophobic I felt I could not stay there for 3 nights. I enquired if there was another room available and we were given a lovely standard double which did not have a great view but at least we could open the window. It was a good size, fresh and spotlessly clean. The only other complaint was at breakfast the first day. I ordered decaf coffee and a poached egg and despite repeated reminders it took nearly 30 minutes for them to come. The next 2 days at breakfast were fine and we could not fault the quality of the food in the dining roon in the evening. Compliments to the chef.
The staff were very pleasant and helpful especially Sophie in the dining room and Nikki in the courtyard bar which was lovely especially as the weather was great and we were able to sit outside and enjoy the beautiful gardens.

Room Tip: Avoid room 211.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Leicester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Stayed at Shrigley following a visit to the North West. I had mixed feelings about the hotel. The restaurant is very good indeed but I think perhaps because the hotel is so large, aspects of the management of it probably need a closer look if so far as the reception felt quite impersonal. We booked on line for a night's stay and dinner but when we arrived something had got mixed up with the booking which turned out to be a fault on the hotel system. Perfectly understand that sometimes technology can go wrong but what was a little unfortunate was that the receptionist treated us sceptically when we said we also had a dinner reservation as well as our room. The receptionist said our booking was not showing we had a dinner reservation. It seems the hotel was extremely busy the night we were there and instead of offering to investigate why our dinner reservation was not showing on the system, receptionist started to ask my husband to prove he had booked dinner and I found that aspect really quite unhelpful. A good hotel would never put such an issue back on the customer but rather they would offer to investigate and ensure the customer was looked after no matter what had gone wrong with the booking. It also seemed a bit odd that the receptionist thought we were 'making up' the fact we booked dinner, why would a guest do that? It turned out that the manager at Shrigley found our dinner reservation but apparently the system had not transferred it across or something. Anyway, I've marked the hotel down to average because they did handle that aspect quite badly. I can recommend the restaurant though, food good.

Room Tip: Very large hotel, ask for a room on the ground if you don't want to travel too far!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Oxford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Set in an old manor house in beautiful countryside just outside Macclesfield and near Manchester / Stockport – sounded very promising and yielded absolutely stunning views of the surrounding undulating hills.
There is a church right next door, so I suspect it’s ideal as a wedding venue and I’m sure it’s also used for conferences. I didn’t have any time to investigate its history, but I think it has been a missionary hall in the past, probably associated with the church.
I was working on a Festival at Heaton Park in Manchester and myself and my colleague thought we’d try a ‘county house hotel’ experience rather than central Manchester It is about a 45 minute drive from Heaton Park … and you are in a completely different world!
I booked two ‘standard’ rooms – which looked fantastic in the photos on the website – for £129.00 each.
I have to say I was disappointed overall! I was looking for funkiness and a bit of a classic and contemporary fusion … but it fell way short!
My colleague used the gym the next morning and said it was excellent – with a wide choice of cardio vascular machines and plenty of each type. He also said the pool looked really nice but didn’t try it.
We checked in in the afternoon, went off to work at our event, then returned later to find the residents bar still rocking with plenty of people, which was great and definitely a good atmosphere! The night bar staff were really friendly and a bit of a laugh – always good when you get in after a gruelling day’s work.
The free WIFI worked but I was not there long enough to give it a serious run – but it was fine for what I needed there and then which was Email and Skype.
The cell phone reception (I have devices on Vodafone and Orange) there is sketchy at best .. and much of the time dropped out completely. While that might be attractive to some people, it’s an absolute no-no for me, and I’d never re-visit a hotel that didn’t have either good cell phone reception or a good internet connection – good comms are absolutely my bottom line!
The other reason I’d not go back is the truly awful décor! I know it’s really a subjective thing and some would not give it a second through, but I do. I spend a lot of time in hotels and it affects me – I don’t like staying in environments that are not to my taste!
At Shrigley I refer to the bedroom and Residents bar - clashing colours and patterns on the walls and floor and some really strange furniture – the brown faux leather chairs in the Residents Bar are cumbersome, ugly and look like they were part of a job lot from an old stage or film set.
The room –obviously it was not the best room ‘in the house’ I am sure – was on the first floor a bit of a depressing environment. The window looked out onto the courtyard at the back of the Residents bar, which was OK, and the corridor wall was so thin that – unless you had music cranked up – you could hear everyone passing by stomp down it.
The was not really enough space for all my luggage and I could hardly walk around the bed by the time the luggage was in the room. No thought had been given to how a person staying might want to actually use the space – it came from the ‘Lets plonk a huge bed in a small room and forget about it’ school of hotel design. The furniture was made from cheap darkened wood which had seen better days and the bathroom was dingy and uninviting – the whole place had a bad Feng Shui!
There was no fridge or mini-bar, however I did manage to cool a can of Red Bull very effectively by leaving it overnight on the gap where the sash windows joined!
So …. I’d not go back because of the bad cell phone reception, tacky decoration and cheap furniture … it doesn’t make me feel relaxed or comfortable.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Brierfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Shrigley Hall is the ideal place to spend a few nights visiting the surrounding area . This was our second stay and the service, and attention to detail was excellent . We were particularly impressed with the restaurant staff who could not have done more to make our stay special. The food on both evenings was excellent as was the selection at breakfast . The staff on reception were also welcoming and efficient . All this combined with a really lovely location ensured that we will certainly return again.

Room Tip: Leave plenty of time to get to the dining room as some rooms are quite a walk away .
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club? Share your experiences!