“Lovely conference venue” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club

You added Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club to your Saves list
Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Shrigley Park Pott Shrigley Nr. Macclesfield, Pott Shrigley SK10 5SB, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Pott Shrigley
Braintree, United Kingdom
“Lovely conference venue”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

This was a good venue for our conference being near to Manchester Airport and rail links. The meeting rooms, food and bedrooms were all excellent but you need a good sense of direction not to get lost in the hotel.

Room Tip: The rooms at the front of the hotel were excellent.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (315)
Bromsgrove, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

The staff was inattentive especially at dinner where it took over 3 hours to have our meal. At no point during the meal were we offered drinks (not even water for our table) or an explanation as to why it was taking so long. There was no excuse regarding the volume of diners either as there were only a few tables occupied. My room was less than fantastic also, I was on the 3rd floor at the back of the hotel in a room where the windows didn’t shut properly giving a draught all night, it had a blind to shield the window which was dirty, frayed at the edges and was bowing at the sides not covering the entire window. The bathroom was not clean both there were long hairs on the floor and surfaces which were not mine. Overall I was very disappointed by the venue and the staff. They all seemed disinterested and didn’t even ask if I had had a pleasant stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Pott Shrigley hotels

York, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

Stayed for a weekend on 10th/11th May. My husband played golf - greens very disappointing, very bumpy but an interesting course. Our room was fine except for the creaking floor boards. I know it's an old building but outside our room 122 it was terrible. With all the traffic each morning you could not have a lie in. We had dinner in the hotel one night. Service was a little slow and the portions not large enough for a 6'4 farmer. The only thing that had any flavour on my plate was the potato (I had pork). Richard had the sea bass which was tiny - the fillets were small and tapered off to nothing. He had to have the cheeseboard to fill up on which cost extra.The bar was okay had a lovely club sandwich in there which was more filling than our 3 course meal. The spa was not very interesting-small pool which you couldn't actually swim in and was cold. Staff were helpful and friendly tho'. I would recommend The Belfry if you want golf and spa weekend. The spa is brilliant and afternoon tea 'omg'.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Steve C, Guest Relations Manager at Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Dear yvonne_brown,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay here with us. I was sorry to read that your stay did not meet with the high standards I know we normally achieve. I was pleased, however, to see that you found all our team both helpful and friendly. I will ensure we use your constructive feedback to make positive changes where possible.

Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

One first gets a view of the Hall sitting high in the landscape and looking very impressive. Winding up the steep drive one arrives at a plateau in front of an imposing colonnade façade.
A flight of stone steps leads one up to the entrance and in to a magnificent staircase hall with the reception area off to the right. Immediately one is impressed with the interior and such a warm welcome from the receptionist. We had a bedroom on the first floor which was generous in size along with en-suite bathroom which were well decorated and spotless. Hospitality tray and toiletries replenished daily. Breakfast was buffet style (usual format now) consisting of hot and cold food with a very good selection. Waiters are in attendance to serve tea and coffee.
Dinner in the evening has a very good menu, five selections for starters, mains and desert well presented and served by waiters. A good selection of wines and beers. Nicely decorated dining rooms.
Very comfortable sofas and chairs in the lounge, bar and reception hall.
Overall an excellent hotel to stay in and the efficient and smiling staff added to our enjoyable stay. We were here for four nights.
We went and viewed the swimming pool etc. in the attached converted chapel which was most impressive.
This was originally a private residence with adjoining chapel in a beautiful landscaped setting and the history is worth investigating.

Will not hesitate to recommend this hotel to others

Room Tip: Rooms to the front façade enjoy excellent long distance views.
Dear Hackford,

I was delighted to read your positive comments following your recent stay here at Shrigley Hall, part of the Puma Hotels Group. I was pleased to read that you have no hesitation in recommending us to others and I look forward to welcoming you back to stay wth us again soon.

BandB-guru
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

I had really high hopes of this hotel. It used to have a fantastic reputation, but it's clear that no significant investment has been made for years. We booked a standard room, but as this is a 4* hotel, at least expected it to be clean, safe and warm. The first room was revolting. The glass in the window was 'shot' so you couldn't see out, the window wouldn't close, the tiles in the bathroom were cracked and dirty, the extractor fan sounded like Concorde taking off and the heated towel rail was bound with electrical tape. It was also *extremely* dark.
I complained and was give another room - slightly better in that there was a proper window. However, it was so small that you couldn't open the wardrobe door! It hit the bed halfway open! The bathroom was appalling: mould on the ceiling, dirty tiles, grubby and broken sealent around a very old plastic sink, pink mould all over the shower curtain. It was like a very grubby motel room. In the end we had to attend a family event so didn't bother to change again and judging by the condition of areas like the lift, a lot of the rooms are in similar condition. I wrote a letter to the duty manager but he/she never contacted us.
I can understand that it's hard to maintain investment in large hotels like this, but if they're not prepared to, then they should not be charging £139! I believe the images on the website are misleading and I strongly recommend people to look elsewhere.

Room Tip: A previous reviewer advised to get a premium. If you must stay here, do that, otherwise just go else...
Dear BandB-guru,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay here with us. I was truly upset to hear of the issues you experienced during your stay here with us, we always strive to exceed our guests expectations and it is clear that on this occasion we did not. I am sorry that your letter did not get replied to during your stay, I have now received this and wil ensure I reply to you separately to address these issues with you personally.

stockport
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Went to shrigley hall for a spa day excellent value staff we lovely and for the money we paid was well worth every penny . We started are day in the pool jacuzzi sauna the had a back neck shoulder massage followed by an amazing lunch box the back in the pool was defiantly recommend this hotel and will be going back

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear markmottershead,

I was delighted to read your positive comments following your recent spa day here at Shrigley Hall, part of the Puma Hotels Group. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Manchester, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

We had our wedding at Shrigley hall and could not have been happier!

The whole process of arranging the wedding with them was enjoyable and easy. Becca Jones, the wedding coordinator and John, who organised things on the day, were incredibly helpful and accommodating. Becca always responded to our queries quickly and helped us through the whole process. On the day John was really helpful to all the guests and suppliers, several of whom commented on this. All the staff were so helpful and enthusiatic and took care of everything so that we could just enjoy the day!

The rooms we had were at the front of the hotel and the bridal suite (lowther suite) and they were amazing! All our guests seemed happy with their rooms.
We did have some guests with mobility issues and its true that the hotel is big and there's lots of stairs, but the hotel were very accommodating and put guests in rooms close to lifts & lobby if needed.
The staff also transported our less mobile guests on golf buggies from the front of the hotel to the back for the reception, which they all loved!

The food was lovely, as was the breakfast. We had the reception in Tilden Suite and I thought this was a fantastic function room with adjacent bar.
The hotel itself is an amazing builiding in a beautiful setting, overlooking manchester in the distance, and surrounded by beautiful countryside.

I made use of the spa a couple of times and thought it was absolutely fine, the changing rooms are not sparkling white marble but they are clean and functional and not half as bad as I was expecting after reading some of the reviews on tripadvisor.
The pool is in an old chapel building and this gives it a dramatic and grand feel when your floating about in the pool-brilliant!

Thanks Shrigley Hall for a fantastic and memorable Wedding day!!

Room Tip: The rooms at the front in the older part of the building have the best views.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Catherine M,

I was delighted to read that we were able to make your recent wedding here at Shrigley Hall, part of the Puma Hotels Group, so special. I will ensure your positive comments are fed back to the team, in particular to Becca and John. I'm glad we were able to make your day so memorable and I look forward to welcoming you back here again soon.

Steve Cook

Been to Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club? Share your experiences!