“NO ambience for cost” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Minneapolis
“NO ambience for cost”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Upon a recent visit, I was anticipating the normal "fast food" ambience, but, I did not anticipate the higher than "fast food" prices. My VEGIE PIZZA was mostly a thick, "bready" crust with hardly any sauce and even less "vegies". The server (normally, there isn't a server. It is a "order and then wait" establishment) however, we were part of a large group in the back area) was friendly but required repeated requests for napkins, forks, straws, and take-home container. If I am spending $25 for what we (my husband and I) ordered, we will go to a REAL restaurant with good service and great food. It would be nice, however, if they can get their "act" together and provide another place to go in the sinking city of Brooklyn Center.

• Visited March 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Brooklyn Center
“Grand Opening Shows Potential for Greatness!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Slims opened today after months of anticipation on the part of local residents. In its former guise, the original location had nothing but great reviews. In its new, larger and decidedly more grown up site, I would say Slims is off to a solid start.

Were it not opening day with a staff still in training I might have scored Slims higher. Given what I will expect to be a short period of working out the kinks, I suspect Slims will be a destination in the North Metro.

One of us enjoyed the Cheese Steak Sandwich (Deluxe) which included enough flavorful beef, blended with onions, peppers and cheese to satisfy just about anyone who has ever had one from Philly. Having had the original I would have to say this is the very best I've had in the Twin Cities. It was great!

The other member of our party had the Gyros which was similarly piled with delicious meat. Although quite tasty, it could have used a bit more tomato and sauce. Both sandwiches included excellent hot fries and drinks for a total cost of around $20.

Although Slims has a few kinks to work out, we would not hesitate to return again and again. Give Slims a try. You won't be disappointed!

• Visited February 2013