“Bad News” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Motel 6 Minneapolis North West

Motel 6 Minneapolis North West
You added Motel 6 Minneapolis North West to your Saves list
Motel 6 Minneapolis North West
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   2741 Freeway Blvd., I-94 at Exit 34, Brooklyn Center, MN 55430   |
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Brooklyn Center
Seffner, FL
“Bad News”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2009

We needed a place that accepted dogs and was reasonably priced. Our dog was better behaved than most of the guests we ran into. When we arrived a woman and her daughter were screaming obscenities at each other in the doorway to the lobby. The police were there but apparently not for that particular disturbance. We were assured by the desk clerk that this was not usual and that we would not be bothered by these people again. Hallways were dirty with stained carpeting; the door to our hallway was propped open with a dirty towel stuffed under the door. Our room was very small and the beds were in terrible condition, sagging and in general worn out. On our first full day there the maid did not clean our room, make the beds, empty the trash or leave fresh glasses. We had to make a request to the manager on a daily basis to get what should have been taken care of automatically. On our first night someone broke some beer bottles on the driveway which were never picked up and were still there when we left 3 days later. The so-called secure exit doors in the back of the hotel had broken locks so anyone could walk into the hotel. Management was aware of this and fixing the locks should have been top priority. The manager spent most of his time outside smoking instead of supervising his crew and making sure that the rooms were cleaned and re-stocked with towels, bath mats and glasses. Strange people were loitering in the lobby on a daily basis. If it hadn't been for needing a place that accepted dogs we would have left immediately. We have stayed at other Motel 6 properties that were totally acceptable so felt comfortable in making this reservation, however, I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Grafton, ND
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2007

We recently stayed here for the sole reason that it seemed to be a safe area of town and we were in need of a location close to a business meeting the following morning. Looks can be deceiving. Prior to checking in, we dined at a popular franchise resturaunt only steps away and witnessed a blatant solicitation from what can only be described as very scary characters. Upon reaching the front desk, we were greeted by a security guard and clerk behind a bulletproof window. So much for ambience. My husband was asked to show his ID, and came out to the car because they required seeing my ID as well. After remembering the sight outside the local resturaunt it did not take long to figure out what they were screening their "guests" for.
Once inside, I have to say that it was clean and well maintained, although modest and small. What I was extremely upset over was the lack of amenities. There was no alarm clock, stationary, box of tissues, pen, or even phone book. In need of a phone book the following morning, my husband was told that they were expecting new phone books the following week and would not permit borrowing it to us to make some important calls!
It really is a shame, it is in a convenient area, has well lanscaped grounds, and they do make a good attempt at cleanliness and upkeep. They also do not accept checks or even cash. But this again is a hint of the rough neighborhood. Unfortunately, this motel's biggest problem is the neighborhood it sits in. I strongly recommend you avoid this area with young children, or better yet, altogether. I don't know what we were thinking.

Stayed March 2007
Cass Lake, MN
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2007

This would be a nice, newer budget motel and it was clean, but the neighborhood and clientele were a little scary. I guess my first clue should have been the bulletproof glass at the clerks window. The clerk asked for our driver's licenses (my 72 year-old mother and I), citing a state law. I have never been asked that in Minnesota ever before! The lobby was full of smoke and I asked for a room in a smoke free area and we were given a room in a "smoke free wing." There were people smoking in that wing. (People coming out of some of the rooms with puffs of smoke billowiing out the door behind them!) The hotel was nearly empty so I have no idea why a smoker would get room in a "smoke-free" area. I stuffed my bathrobe under the door and it kept the smoke out pretty well. We discovered there was no toilet paper so I called the desk and the clerk told me she would "see if she could find some", but I would have to come to the desk myself and get it. She called back to let me know that she found some, and when I got to the desk, a couple was screaming at the desk clerk about being charged for the second person in the room. The police arrived and escorted them out in cuffs! The hotel was quiet during the night but when we left in the morning there were squad cars there again. I would have rather paid more and stayed in a place with less excitement!

• Liked — It was clean, in good repair and inexpensive
  • Disliked — The gangsters, prostitutes, smoking and squad cars
  • Tips/Secrets — If you want to shop at Arbor Lakes, there is a new Hampton Inn right there.
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2006

On the 3rd leg of our trip, we visited the Motel 6 in Brooklyn Center during the weekend.

I was amazed to see a 3 story plus, standard hotel building.
I was also amazed to see more than one squad car nearby.

It's an A+ for a motel 6 and a welcome site. Well managed grounds, easy access to many Hwy's also neat and clean.

Yes the rooms are small, but if your traveling without kids and not planning on spending the day in your room. You'll be more than fine.

The bathrooms are spacious enough and the shower or availability to bathe in a tub could be a bonus.

Checking in on the weekend and in the evening is a little dicey.
Possibly due to the holiday weekend, you had the young-ins, family reunion folks and travelers from all over the world.

The absolutely low rate of $39 on a Sunday, (we paid, $53 Sat & $46 on Sun). This may account for the take on all comers crowd, we had seen there.

The rooms also feature, built-in climate control by temperature not feel.

It was a nice quiet and wholesome stay. Totally uneventful and pleasant. If your goal is to explore MSP and not your room, this place is a must stay. It's just outside the city and only minutes away from everything you need.

Just take a right out the driveway and then another right at the light and drive. It's all within 2 or 3 miles, maybe even closer.
Food, shopping and other services are well within your reach.

Hope this helps

• Liked — Newer hotel, climate control built-in and by degrees, spacious shower and near the hwy and food
  • Disliked — The weekend crowd looking for the $39 dollar rate
  • Tips/Secrets — Corporate area with other major hotels a TGI Fridays and a Bank all within walking distance.
  • Stayed September 2006
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2006

This one probably could compare with the 2 to 2 1/2 star hotels. Nice clean rooms, allthough small but not as small as other Motel 6's that I have been in. Clean and quiet hallways with interior corridors and a secured entrance, not the typical exterior corridors with the ugly light green doors that are typical of many Motel 6's. Did not feel cramped at all at this one and there are places to go nearby to eat, allthough I did not use them because family is nearby for that. :) Got a room for $55 a night there so at that price if I needed to stay there again I would.

• Stayed August 2005
Whitewater, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2003

A beautiful new Motel 6 with indoor corridors. More expensive than most Motel 6's, but an excellent value.

Been to Motel 6 Minneapolis North West? Share your experiences!