“Don't Stay Here” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #22 of 38 Hotels in Bloomington
New York City, New York
“Don't Stay Here”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

This hotel looks good from the outside but that's about it. It's in a depressed area not walkable to anything except an Outback restaurant at an adjacent hotel. There must be a high theft problem because each room door has metal protective strips to prevent someone from using a crow bar or similar tool to force open the door.

The rooms are large but sparsely furnished. The couch (pullout) is well worn and stained. The towels in the room don't match and are quite thin and worn looking like leftovers from a garage sale. The carpets (throughout hotel) could use a thorough vacuuming.

It's hard to believe this hotel is a Marriott.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Darrynm, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott - Minneapolis Bloomington, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
Thank you for you review, It helps us serve our guests better. I first want to apologize for the condition of your mattress. We inspect our rooms and beds on a daily basis for quality, this one was missed and I’m truly sorry for that. The area around the hotel has some residential but is mostly hotels. For our guest’s convenience we do offer a shuttle to the Mall of America. There you can find a variety of restaurants, stores and activities. The Security gold latch covers are in place for added security for our gusts. These were a requirement by the City of Bloomington at the time the hotel was built. Since then it is not required but we chose to leave them for the additional security they offer.
If you find yourself in the area and feel comfortable giving us another try, I invite you to contact me personally to make your lodging arrangements. I will inspect your room prior to arrival and assure your stay with us is perfect.

Again, thank you for your review and allowing me the opportunity to apologize for your bad experience.
Darryn Maloney
Gerenal Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

The staff really needs to be more friendly. Everyone from the front desk staff all the way to the shuttle bus driver seemed to have sour attitudes. My bath tub was filthy!! I was here on business and the location to the airport was the only good thing. I will not stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for you review. The comments and observations of our guests help improve our service. I never want to hear that an associate was unfriendly. I truly apologize for that impression they left with you. Marriott’s Service training is one of the top ranked programs in the industry. After reading your review we are implementing refresher training for all of our associates. The first and last thing you should remember is how friendly the staff was and how they went out of their way to accommodate your needs. Also, the minimum expectation of any stay is the room is clean. I have passed your comments on to our Director of Housekeeping. This is not Marriott or our standards here at the property. I hope if you travel to the area again you will give us a second chance.

Darryn Maloney
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here before flying out. Booked it on Priceline. The check in process was easy enough but when we got to the room it was in sad condition. The bed was so bad you could feel the springs poking you. Having stayed in courtyards on many occasions this place lacked in the overall quality you expect from this brand. On a positive note...it is quite close to the airport but so are many other hotels. I would bypass this one until they remodel their rooms and get up to the quality of other hotels in this brand.

• Stayed June 2013
Thank you for you review, I truly value the observations of our guests as it allows us to improve our service. I apologize for the condition of your bed when you stayed with us. Our rooms are inspected daily
First, I want to thank you for taking the time to write a review. We value feedback that is positive or not so positive as it helps us improve. I truly apologize for the experience you had while staying with us. We pride ourselves on the condition of our hotel and especially our rooms and you didn't experience that. We inspect the rooms and the beds daily for condition and replace what is needed before renting it out to the next guest. This did not happen this time. I have passed your comments on to our Chief Engineer and our Director of Housekeeping so they can follow up.
If your travels find you in the area again and your will to give us a second chance, I invite you to contact me personally to arrange for your accommodations. I will ensure you're stay is perfect. Darryn Maloney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

As with other Courtyard's we've stayed at this property was nice. Room was clean, smelled good and bed comfortable. LOVED the room darkening shades! Spectacular!

Except for the man at checkin, who did a great job making sure we had a room as originally requested online, the front desk staff was not very friendly and only said "Hi" and "Good morning" after I did every single time I approached the front desk during our 3-night stay.

That being said, the cleaning lady and bell boy were very nice. :)

Location to MOA and other shopping was ideal.

For the price we pay for this hotel I am still disgusted that they do not have complimentary coffee in the lobby. Caribou for $2.50 per cup. What's up with that? I dont care if they have some sort of marketing agreement. Guests should come first. Coffee maker in room is old and coffee packets some of the cheapest.

Enjoyed the extra towels the maids left us but tissues ran out 2nd day and were never refilled even after calling front desk. Again, staff lacking basic customer service skills.

• Stayed June 2013
Thank you for your review. I'm truly sorry that a few of our staff made a negative impact on what sounded like an overall satisfying stay. You mentioned in your review the coffee available in the lobby for $2.50. In addition to our Caribou coffee in The Market we also offer complimentary coffee in the lobby next to the go board until 10am each morning. Being an airport property we have a lot of early risers and want to ensure they are properly caffeinated. In the last two weeks we’ve also replaced our 4 cup coffee makers in the room and upgraded them with pod style coffee brewers and coffee. I hope if your travels find you in the area you will consider us for your lodging.
Warrenville, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Had a one night stay here for a business trip so I was in and out. The lobby was nice and spacious which is always a plus. The morning staff (sorry I can't remember his name) was very nice, but the two afternoon girls seemed like they didn't want to be bothered. I personally liked the decor in the guest rooms. I loved the blacked out shades that the room had and I loved the fact that even though they are right by the airport, I never heard a single plane. The bed was VERY comfortable; that I didn't get even want to get up the next morning for my meeting. The only down fall about the rooms is that my room wasn't cleaned like it should of been. There was a lot of dust on the headboards and I don't think they vacuumed the carpet. Other than that, it was decent stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
First, I want to thank you for taking the time to write a review. We value feedback that is positive or not so positive as it helps us improve. I’m glad to hear how much you enjoyed our beds and the blackout shades. I truly apologize that your room was not serviced properly. I have passed your comments on to our Director of Housekeeping so she can follow up.
If your travels find you in the area again I hope you stay with us.
toronto
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

I stayed at the Marriott courtyard for 5 nights. Didn't like the energy of the room. I hated the mirrors close to the closet as you enter the washroom! It spooks me out. Beds were too soft. Next business's trip I would rather stay at the best western primrose. Friendly Front desk.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for you review, the comments and observations of our guests help improve our service. I apologize the rooms layout was distracting to you during your stay. I hope if you travel to the area again you will give us a second chance. We have 4 different room types that offer a different layout. Perhaps we can find one that would make you feel comfortable and at home.
Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

I've been visiting this property off and on over the past five years or so. It used to be much better. Being a Marriott point maven, I'd recommend you now consider the SpringHill Suites just a bit east of here instead.

On the plus side, this Courtyard has the updated lobby and associated amenities. But travel a few flights up the elevator and you're transported back to the darker, starker rooms of the past. I just can't get over how sparsely the room was appointed, and it's just old and worn. And loud through-the-window heat/a/c like a Motel 6.

The desk for business travel was a desk, period, full stop. Just a plain desk that ergonomically was a bit too high, and a seat that sat a bit too low. But I can live with that. I cannot live without reliable internet service in the room.

My laptop would not connect with the wireless network in my area. Trying all the regular fixes unsuccessfully (I did get the nearby Residence Inn at glacially slow speeds across the parking lot) I called the front desk. Long story short, after three calls to the front desk I was finally connected to their third-party IT support. Nice person, but 45 minutes later I still did not have connectivity. I settled for a slow connection to their Convention Center network, and just made the best of it. But this is no way for me to do business.

As I mentioned, there is a SpringHill Suites down the road about a mile and closer to the airport. It's new, the rooms make more sense for business and relaxing, things work, and the front desk is impeccable at getting things right the first time or fixed the first time. I'll meet you in the lobby for beers some evening. I'll buy with the $20 less this property is compared to the Courtyard.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the opposite side of the highway - the Residence Inn side.