“Pretty nice hotel for a good price” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #23 of 38 hotels in Bloomington
Des Moines, Iowa
“Pretty nice hotel for a good price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for one night over the Memorial Day weekend. I have to say it's a very nice hotel in a good location; close to the Mall of America and Ikea. It also had a shuttle that would take you to the MOA if you wanted. Our room was spacious and the bed was comfortable. We really enjoyed the free breakfast buffet included with our stay. The food was great and a cook me made an omelet just the way I wanted it. The staff was friendly and courteous and made us feel welcome.

There was a pool and a whirlpool, but the pool was very overcrowded with lots of kids in it and the small whirlpool had a few people in it. So we didn't get to try either of those. We got back to our room around 9:00 at night and we were lucky to find the last spot in the kind of small parking lot. We were worried that we might not find a parking space, but after driving around for a little while, we got the last open space.

Although our room was larger than most hotels we've stayed at, we noticed that the walls seemed kind of thin and we could hear just about everything going on in the hallway. And every time the air conditioner kicked on, it was kind of loud. It made it kind of hard to sleep at times.

We would probably stay here again if we got another great deal, but we still prefer the Hilton Minneapolis/Bloomington because it feels more luxurious and upscale. Overall, this is a nice hotel that's easy to get to. And if you get the free breakfast buffet, it's totally worth it.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

162 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

In town for business, stayed for 5 nights. Flight in from JFK was delayed and arrived at the hotel late and tired. Check-in was a breeze, the frontdesk was helpful by giving out maps of where the eateries are and activities to do in the area.
The room was H-U-G-E with a working desk area, a sitting area, shower & tub and a big kitchen, complete with a big fridge, microwave, dishwasher and all the utensils that you'll need. The bed was very comfortable. Good wifi.
Breakfast was included in my stay downstairs, the staff were very courteous and the food choices were good.
Good location, between downtown and the river and close to MoA.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Anna, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

We had an early flight 5:20am and chose Marriott for that reason. It is about 8 min. From airport. At first I was going to turn in rental morning of flight but since hotel had shuttle at 4:00 am I could turn it in nite before and take shuttle. There are also allot of places closr to hotel to eat and they also had shuttle to Mall of America. The hotel will pick up at both Mall and airport. When I dropped off rental, it took about 20/25 minutes for pick up.
The hotel is very nice, clean, quiet and comparably priced to others. They have a restaurant but not interested in food offered, not necessarily because of cost, quality and service.
Staff is very exceptional and offered suggestions which were very helpful.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

I stayed here prior to flying out of MSP airport and this place was great! The room was roomy and clean, the staff was friendly and helpful! The bed was comfy, the room was quiet, and the hotel was in a very convenient location (minutes to the airport)! The only thing that was problematic was there were very few open parking spaces available (I'm guessing a lot of the cars were "park and fly" vehicles, and they took up the majority of spaces...). Otherwise, awesome hotel! I'd highly recommend staying here!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

We stayed in this hotel for 2 nights and right from check in the staff was friendly and helpful and the hotel had a friendly and clean welcome. We got a 7th floor room but it was handicapped. It was also really big and clean. There was some noise coming from the roof. There was also no fridge or microwave. We had breakfast at Jake's both of the mornings we were there and it was good food for only 9$ it has scrambled eggs, bacon, sausge, eggs, omlets, pancakes, hashbrowns, french toast, muffins, cereal, toast, bagels, oat meal, yogurt, fruit, juices, milk, coffee, hot choclate etc. In the lobby there is a sitting area with leather couch's and flat creen TV's and all that. There's even a pantry which is a bit expensive. The pool is clean refreshing and the hotub is nice. The pool hours are 7:00 AM-11:30 PM. And the fitness center is open 24 hours. In the lobby there is a touchscreen TV to check your weather and google restraunts in the area and all even scores for the sports world. Parking isn't a problem here with a lot in the front and the back the only advantage is that the front has electric sliding doors if you have your hands full with luggage. This hotel has free WI-Fi (wireless internet connection) and it is strong but as strong on our floor the top and 7th floor. This hotel is close to Ikea, MOA (Mall of America) and an airport (with no plane noise). I highly reccomend this hotel.

Room Tip: we had a room to back side that faces another hotel. That was quiet. I heard the front side has lots...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Saint Paul, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

On the surface this hotel does most things a customer would expect right.
The staff is very courteous, helpful and professional.
Appearance is nice, very upscale.
My room was pretty nice.
Bed was comfy. Very good for a hotel.

I thought, based upon first impression, "yeah, priceline came through, i got a winner here".

The two things that just ruined this hotel for me and why I will not return.

My room faced the interstate, 494. I didn't notice it at first, maybe because of the hustle and bustle of the day, the tv being on or whatever, but when I tried to go to sleep the freeway noise was overpowering. It was almost like there was no wall or window blocking the sound. I felt like I was trying to sleep out on a deck or something.

I finally fell asleep.

Only to be awakened "early" the next morning by shrieking children running in the halls. The sounds from the hallway outside felt like they were actually louder in my room. I've never experienced this in the many hotels I've stayed to this extreme degree.

So on first impression I thought this place was groovy what it is in actuality is a horrible creation of perfect acoustic alcoves which captures sounds around you, drags them in and amplifies them.
If I was listening to Pearl Jam, I'd be digging it. Road noise and strange children shrieking, not so much.

I won't stay here again.

Room Tip: Request anything not facing the freeway.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Stafford, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

We stayed at this hotel over the course of the 2012 US Pond Hockey Championships and could not be happier with the service and location. Their shuttle service to the games and Mall of America was a great help. The staff is friendly and more than willing to help answer any questions you have about the area. We will be back next year!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Been to Courtyard by Marriott - Minneapolis Bloomington? Share your experiences!