“Great room layout, good stay except for the incessant banging of doors....” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Homewood Suites by Hilton Minneapolis - Mall of America

You added Homewood Suites by Hilton Minneapolis - Mall of America to your Saves list
Homewood Suites by Hilton Minneapolis - Mall of America
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2261 Killebrew Dr, Bloomington, MN 55425   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 15%
Ranked #10 of 38 Hotels in Bloomington
Australia
“Great room layout, good stay except for the incessant banging of doors....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

We got in really late to MSP and the free shuttle had stopped from the hotel. Caught a taxi, which cost around $20 due to the added airport fee. So not ideal but we had to do it.
The hotel was fully booked and people were still trying for a room well after midnight when we arrived. Check in was friendly and our room was on a good floor in a quiet area..... until the next morning!
Noise is generally from guests and pretty common but you would expect that housekeeping would not be in this category and to this degree. Not so here!
They just let the door bang on the lock that is pulled across to stop the door closing while they come and go from the room, then slam it shut with force.
It was so bad our room walls kept shaking each time she did this and with the hotel full it went on from early morning.
So we didn't get much of a sleep in after a late arrival.

In the end we had to politely say something to her and the answer was that it was policy and we would have to speak to her manager. We did the right thing and passed this on to them through reception. It didn't help as next morning the banging and slamming started again. This housekeeping 'procedure' ruined a good stay in a great room because we couldn't get any sleep once they started to work and generally disturbed the peace of mind of hotel guests.

We can't say anything about the room though. It was our first stay in a Homewood Suite and it had absolutely everything you could need for a comfortable stay (the only reason why we gave it a good rating). In the main room there is a sofa, LCD TV, fully equipped kitchen with washed utensils in the dishwasher so you know they are clean (once you found them of course).
In the bedroom was a comfortable King bed, another LCD TV to watch, overhead fan, huge sliding wardrobe, ensuite bathroom with a small separate vanity.
Couldn’t believe the amount of room and facilities and it was a pleasure to stay.

Breakfast was crowded each morning but the food on offer was plentiful and appetising. Did not get to try the weekday evening 'dinner' and the pool and gym facilities were better than average.
The biggest draw card here apart from the suites is the MOA and it was just a few minutes walk from the hotel or to catch the 'Hiawatha Line' light rail into the city for a couple of dollars each way. Took about 30 mins with all the stops but a pleasant way to see the suburbs. The hotel shuttle will take you to MOA and the airport in alternating schedules but the walk was easy. There is ongoing building works on a new hotel at the moment so the entrances to the MOA have changed a little.

This hotel would be great for an extended stay in fantastic suites and facilities for families or groups. Our only reason for not coming back here next year will be the awful noise. Shaking walls and the incessant slamming of doors by housekeeping is supposedly OK in this hotel.

Enjoy your stay!

Room Tip: Ask for a floor and room with fewer guests as it may be quieter due to housekeeping noise.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Tony L, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Minneapolis - Mall of America, responded to this review, August 4, 2012
Thank you for all of your positive feedback. As far as the issues you experienced with the Housekeeping department, I will address those immediately. We strive to make your stay as comfortable and pleasant as possible and we will resolve this. Thank your for choosing the Homewood Suites Mall of America.

Tony Lawler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Cleveland, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

Stayed here to be closer to the airport due to an early morning departure. Other Hilton brands were more expensive, and I felt this was a good value for the amount of hotel room space. As a HiltonHonors Silver member, I stay at Homewoods frequently, and this was one of the worst ever.

Drawbacks:
Smoke Smell. Even in the non-smoking rooms, you can smell cigarette smoke permeating the central air system.
My 2 travel companions were given Smoking Rooms, even though they requested Non-Smoking. They were understandably very upset, and the hotel offered an ionizer (?), were not charged for their room. But, this was not enough, given they had to sleep through an incredibly smelly room.
Eclectic mix of guests makes for an interesting experience, ranging from large families who are there to visit The Mall; transient workers who stay there long term; international travelers.
Breakfast was sparse, crowded, and often short on scrambled eggs. Evening reception did not serve beer or wine, as some Homewoods often do.
The hall carpeting was filthy.
The parking was highly restrictive. If you park just one spot in the wrong direction, your car will be towed due to the fact that the hotel shares a parking lot with IHOP, and it is RIGHT ACROSS THE STREET from The Mall.
I would not describe this as a business or airport hotel location. It is far more touristy.

Benefits:
The staff was very nice and did their best.
My room was standard, clean, what I expected from a Homewood Suite style room.
It is undeniably close to The Mall and public transportation.
Walking distance to Chevy's, IHOP, and TGIF if one does not have a rental car.
It is just down the street from the airport.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Tony L, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Minneapolis - Mall of America, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
I appreciate you taking the time to give us some feedback. I am truly sorry for the issue you experienced with the smell of smoke. We always try to accommodate our guest’s request for smoking/non-smoking, floor preferences, etc. It is a standard for Homewoods to serve beer and wine at their evening Manager’s Receptions, however our state law and city ordinances prohibit us from doing so. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. I appreciate that you chose us for your accommodations and hope you will give us another try next time you are in town.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012 via mobile

Great location, access to light rail and Mall of America as well as freeway system in all directions. At times, there are too many leisure travelers creating hectic traffic at the complimentary breakfast and managers reception. At times the food runs out and guests are rude as they rush ... one morning I placed my things at a table for two with one chair and a lady stole my chair although she saw me sit down at the table.

Plenty of free parking and several good restaurants close by, plus shopping, etc at the MOA.

All in all, I still like the hotel overall and will stay here again in the future for the positives.

• Stayed July 2012
Thank you choosing the Homewood Suite Mall of America for your accommodations. Located next door to the Mall of America we can experience a high volume of leisure travel at times. Our goal is to exceed the expectations and needs of both our Corporate and Leisure travelers. We will look for you the next time you are in town.

Las Pinas
1,022 reviews 1,022 reviews
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

The rooms are clean and spacious with comfortable beds. Located across from Mall of America. Value for price paid. Would stay again

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

Onalaska, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

Nice rooms, convenient to Mall of America and airport, friendly staff and great rates. What's more to like?

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Overland Park, Kansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

This is where we usually stay when we travel to the mall of america, and for the first time ever I was disappointed in the experience. The breakfast spread was not as diverse as I would have expected. We enjoyed the chicken/egg/biscuit sandwiches, but there was not much variety of fruit or pastries available. The rooms are great, but the blanket provided for the hide a bed felt like foam and was gross. We were taking my daughter to camp and I almost went out and got her bedding from the car in lieu of her using that blanket but she toughed it out. We have always enjoyed staying at any Homewood Suites, and this has been the first time I have ever been let down. We will continue to choose homewood suites, but may get a second room with the kids as they have outgrown the hide a beds if we have both kids with us. That would help cancel out the complaint about the weird blanket. I suspect we hit the breakfast on an off day.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
I am sorry that we fell short of your expectations during your last stay. We are continually in process of updating our menus for breakfast and dinner. Thank you for your comment and I look forward to seeing you during your next visit. Thank you for choosing Homewood Suites Mall of America.

Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

We arrived on May 29, 2012 at 1:30pm and even though check-in says 3pm, we did not have any problems getting our suite right away. We travelled with our two little dogs and had to pay $100 flat fee, which we thought was very reasonable, however they do not provide bowls or a bed (which was not a problem for us). The rooms were clean and comfortable and if there was anything you needed, it was looked after right away by the friendly cleaning staff. (Note: Bring a small bottle of dishwashing liquid as there is none available at the hotel). The free wi-fi was easy to access, especially for a first time user. As long as you can get down to breakfast first thing in the morning, the selection was great (loved the flavoured creamers!). Coffee,tea and cold drinks were available all day long.You can either eat in the dining room or take it up to your suite and eat there. We stayed in the hotel for two evening meals and went to MOA one evening. The first meal was very tasty - chicken with a creamy mushroom sauce, pasta salad, green salad, beverages. The other meal was very dry and not worth eating - chicken cordon bleu, cold pasta that was supposed to be hot, garlic sticks. We ended up going out to eat again later that evening (definitely try Tucchi Benuch in MOA). The staff was very helpful, very friendly whenever I had any questions regarding the gym or laundry services. When I took my dogs out late night or early morning hours the security guard asked that I check in before returning to my room, as there are several doors you can come and go from. This made me feel as if they care about my safety. We were in town to shop til we dropped and could leave the dogs in the room as long as they were in their crate. We had our car (free parking), but didn't use it when we went to MOA, as it was a 5 minute walk across the street. The staff urged us to take the electric train downtown, and I wish we had. We spent more money and time on parking in downtown Minneapolis than we would have paid for our two return trips. The daily room rate was very reasonable considering you received two meals Mon-Thurs. I would definitely stay there the next time, and would never stay at downtown Minneapolis ever again. Surrounding areas like Eden Prairie and Edina are easy to get to, and are great neighbourhoods to do shopping. The ONLY disappointment was that I could not buy those soft comfy pillows right there at the hotel. If I could have, I would have bought four right then and there when we checked out, but you have to order them on line. Now that I'm back and it's been over a week, I have already forgotten about those lovely pillows and still have not ordered them. I think the hotel would sell quite a lot more if they were available right there and then (as the Delta Hotels offer in their cafe/shop).

Room Tip: Smoking rooms are available. Non-smoking rooms are all on the same floor(s). Very clean exercise r...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Tony L, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Minneapolis - Mall of America, responded to this review, June 8, 2012
I would like to thank you for choosing us for your accommodations during your stay in Bloomington. I am glad to here that we are upholding the level of service, in which we pride ourselves. Please visit us again.

Tony Lawler

Been to Homewood Suites by Hilton Minneapolis - Mall of America? Share your experiences!