“Good hotel, great location” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #18 of 38 hotels in Bloomington
Des Moines,
“Good hotel, great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

The hotel is very close to the mall and the water park and has a great location. It was also nice to use the shuttle to the mall to avoid the crazy traffic and parking. We stayed in a one bedroom suite which was clean, comfortable for two adults and two kids on the pull out sofa. They did not complain and said they were comfortable. It was also nice to have a door to close as that allows someone to sleep if others get up early. I as concerned about the televisions after looking at the photos but they were all of the flat screen type, there was one in the bedroom and on in the living room area. The boy was jacked that he could play video games and control the TV from a video game controller attached to the television. It was also nice to have a full sized coffee pot, silverware, plates, things you don't usually get when you stay at a hotel. The pool area was large, clean and even had an adult hour. I would say that the breakfast buffet, (one less expense) was a notch ahead of the regular fare you get with this hotel chain and was well attended. As others have said, the staff was just awesome, they go out of their way to make sure you are happy and that you get the best deal. We had to check out early due to weather concerns and were only charged a half day which put a smile on my face for sure.
The reason I could not give it an "excellent" rating is that it is in dire need of a remodel, I have seen updated versions of the rooms at this particular hotel chain and they have stainless steel appliances in the rooms for example. Some other complaints were that the hot tub had way too much chlorine, orange juice tasted funny and there was food crud on the room service menu but I consider these minor things. I would give it a five star if it was updated and hope that this hotel chain puts this hotel on the top of the list because the staff really cares. I will stay here again.

Room Tip: One bedroom suite perfect for family with kids and would rather stay here than a regular hotel room.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
CarolynMurphy, General Manager at Residence Inn Bloomington, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you also for your kind words about our staff. I made sure that I shared them and your words brightened their day. I also wanted to follow-up on some of your concerns the latter part of your review. Please feel free to contact me at the hotel as I enjoy feedback and am constantly striving to make the hotel an even better place. Thank you again and we hope you stay with us again soon!

116 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

This property is showing some signs of wear and tear, but I like the fact they have mini kitchens with supplies, so I can bring and make my own meals. They do offer some basic breakfast fare, and have free dinner receptions, but making my own meals is my preference as my hours can get crazy.

The staff here are nice, efficient and helpful. Close enough to mall of America.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Winnebago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Nice hotel so close to the Mall Of America. Olinda and Charles were a wonderful help at breakfast each morning. Plenty of food choices. Lobby and tables were clean. Clean rooms. Overall good experience. Shuttle was on time to mall.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dubuque, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

We stayed here the week after Christmas. The hotel is very well maintained and exceptionally clean. This is our second stay here. We chose this property for several reasons. First being walking distance to Water Park of America, second being near Mall of America and Ikea, third being the suite with full kitchen, fourth being breakfast and soul food at night. The breakfast buffet is a bonus. Charles and Linda the duo that run the kitchen make you feel right at home. Food is average buffet quality food. The food choices change daily. I ate scrambled eggs and oat meal everyday, my wife had a little bit of everything from sausage hash to canadian bacon and pancakes, and our son had a huge waffle everyday. We only stopped in the evening for cookies and milk. They did offer something different Monday thru Thursday. They post a menu in the room showing what will be served on what night some of the items were pork loin, meat ball subs, chicken strips, ribs, and many others. Some of the highlights of the hotel are very friendly staff, exceptionally clean property, very modern pool and hot tub. The only negative I had to really complain about was the house keeping staff forgot our towels one day. I went to reach for a towel after a shower and realized house keeping forgot to replenish our towels. We will stay here again in the future.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the top floor. The rooms on the bottom floors have to listen to the toilets above...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Tea, South Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

Very pleased by my stay. Rooms were very clean. Even the pesky corners behind the bathroom doors.

Nice selction of tv channels.

The morning breakfast was hot and a wide selection of drinks and food. The evening spread was also equally impressive.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Moorhead, Minnesota, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

My wife and I spent a nice weekend in the Twin Cities together and chose to stay at the Residence Inn in Bloomington. The hotel was great! The room had a full kitchen with a full size fridge, stove, dishwasher, and all the accessories you need.The bed was very comfortable with extra pillows as a bonus. The hot tub was a welcome site after a long day of shopping. The free breakfast was a great way to start the day. The shuttle to the mall and back was very helpful. We were even able to use it after checkout. We took the light rail to the Vikings game and they picked us up at the mall when we got back. I only had a couple of complaints and that was that the man who checked us in was a little unfamiliar with the computer system. It took awhile to check in. The hot tub was great but the pool was very cold. I would definetly reccomend this hotel to anyone who is planning on going to the Twin Cities for anything from shopping to a sporting event.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Mississauga, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

We have stayed in many hotels in the bloomington area over the years. This hotel was great it had a lot to offer. The staff , well they were wonderful so nice and helpful. The hotel was clean and quiet. We will be staying here again and again!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Residence Inn Bloomington? Share your experiences!