OK, there are a LOT of things to like about this place and only a few things to dislike. Let's hit what they're getting right first. Management is obviously doing a very good job. I travel to MSP several times/year so I'm pretty used to the whole "Minnesota Nice" thing (the people in this town are just naturally nicer than most places) but even so, this staff was quick, polite, friendly, etc. Second, the rooms are immaculate. I'm not sure I would actually *eat* off the carpeted floor, but it was pretty much that level of clean. The facilities are nice, including the adequately heated 45 foot pool (as someone whose primary means of working out has to be swimming, you get VERY tired of swimming laps in the ultra small pools most hotels have today). But the biggest plus, way WAY and away was the price. I stayed in this hotel for 3 nights (non-refundable etc. etc.) for $72/night ... at a time when some other conferences were in town and I couldn't find ANYTHING else (beyond the "Uncle Rocko's Motor Lodge" level stuff) for less than TWICE that for the same days.
Even the negatives aren't that negative. The food is slightly overpriced, but it's always overpriced at hotels and the fact is it wasn't *that* overpriced, and they were very nice and fast and the food was good. But the reason this place is so cheap is pretty obvious when you walk in to the room; these rooms haven't been updated since the Reagan era. The large, fuzzy, CRT TVs in the room are just the most obvious sign of a hotel that simply needs some fresh capital. Still, the thing that was cool was that the staff and ownership obviously *cared*. The paint on the doors and the walls was fresh and well done (there were places where it was a little chipped, but again, that's just age). The caulk in the showers was recent and also well done. But there's only so much they can do. Some of the seams in the wallpaper are coming loose and are obvious, there are chips in the finish in the tub, the doorknobs are worn, there are old drilled holes and some scratches in the desk furniture, and the beds are frankly not the most comfortable I've slept on. But the bottom line is that it is VERY obvious that these people are trying, they *care* and they are doing the best with the assets they have. There is pride in their property, and it shows ... and for the price I paid, the value was simply extraordinary.
I'm not sure if I'll stay there again (I normally stay at another hotel very nearby this one, but they were $100/night more AND sold out for one of the nights I needed), but if my first choice is out, I certainly wouldn't hesitate to give these folks my business.
I recommend staying at this hotel ... but do it before they come along and spend a lot of money renovating it ... because once it's updated and modern, they'll be able to charge 2-3x what they do now, and people WILL pay it for the experience they'll have ... and that will leave you back at Uncle Rocko's.
- Also Known As:
- Park Plaza Bloomington Hotel Bloomington
- Park Plaza Bloomington Hotel
- Bloomington Park Plaza
- Park Plaza Bloomington MN, North America
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- When you visit the Twin Cities, you're at the heart of it all when you stay at the Park Plaza Hotel, a Carlson brand hotel. Located right in the heart of it all and just minutes to downtown areas. Relax on plush pillow top mattress, crisp white duvet and fluffy pillows or utilize the complimentary wireless high-speed Internet access to help you stay in touch while on the road. Enjoy classic American fare at Three Trees Restaurant and Fireside Lounge. After a busy day, unwind in our whirlpool and heated pool to refresh and rejuvenate your senses. If you feel like exploring, attractions like the Mall of America, Mystic Lake Casino and the famous Minnesota Zoo are all within easy reach. We're only 10 minutes from Minneapolis/St. Paul International Airport, so our shuttle can get you to your flight promptly. Whether its business or a fun-filled vacation that brings you to the Bloomington area - your room at the Park Plaza Hotel is waiting, with an impressive list of amenities designed to make your stay a pleasant one but it’s the service that will bring you back. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with JackRabbit Systems, Booking.com, Expedia, BookIt.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline, Otel, Hotels.com, Agoda, Venere and Fareportal so you can book your Park Plaza Bloomington reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.