“enjoyed” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #29 of 38 Hotels in Bloomington
Denver, Colorado
“enjoyed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights,and found the hotel acceptable. It is kind of out of the way and not easy for strangers to find-but my Garmin knew just where it was! We didn't eat there but there are restaurants close. They have a shuttle to and from Mall Of America.It was advertised as a 3 star,I would give it 2 1/2.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Suzanna B, Front Office Manager at Park Plaza Bloomington, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Dear tomkat33388,

Thank you for taking the time to complete an online review of our hotel. I am glad to read that overall you enjoyed your stay. Because we are tucked away from the highway in a quiter location we can be tricky to find but I am glad your Garmin did the trick. I am thrilled that you were able to utilize the Mall of America shuttle as it is one of our most frequently used amenities. Do not hesitate to reach out to me should you find yourself back in the Bloomington area. Enjoy the rest of your summer!

Suzanna B.
Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a night with husband and 2 teenaged kids. Got the King suite with pull-out sofa bed. It was nice to have a separate area for the kids where they could hang out and have their own space and own TV. The divider French door though rickety served its purpose - to block their sound so Mom and Dad can sleep early. Good location for mall of America shoppers like us.

• Stayed September 2012
Suzanna B, Front Office Manager at Park Plaza Bloomington, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear iluvtraveling123,

I am thrilled to read that you and your family had a good time here at the hotel and the suite you rented worked out for a good night's sleep. I certainly hope your shopping adventures were succesful as we are indeed very close to the Mall of America. We hope to see you again soon should you find yourself back in the area. Enjoy the upcoming summer months as they tend to pass quickly.

Suzanna B.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013 via mobile

My husband & I have stayed in many Carlson hotels and this was by far the worst. The website claims the restrooms are updated. If that is updated, I do not want to see what their definition is of one needing renovations. The floor behind the bathroom door had an inch of dust, the vanity was slanting downward. You could see where the sink had ran over several times and destroyed the wood piece under the vanity ( there was wood missing and what was there us bubbled. The valance in the main room was covered in dust. The beds and pillows were in bad shape. Upon checking in the attendant at the front desk was told that our original room was ready. When we opened the door, we were not sure if someone was still in the room or had just checked out. All and all, just a VERY dirty and bad experience.

• Stayed May 2013
Dear Ventura371,

I would like to thank you for submitting an online response as we do read each and every review that is posted. I would like to sincerely apologize for the condition of the room you stayed in. We expect better results from our staff and I am dissapointed our housekeeping team missed the mark during your stay. Thank you for bringing them to our attention now and will use your feedback as a training opportunity to continue to strive to be better. We can only improve through the eyes and ears of our guests and appreciate the feedback. If I can be of further assistance please feel free to contact me.

Annandale, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

I am so floored at the experience that I had at this hotel!! My husband and I stayed here because he had a very early flight, and I love Carlson hotels so I thought we could try this one out. When we checked in the everything went very smooth. We went up to the 5th floor where our room was. As we approached the door to our room there was dirty dishes sitting on the floor right at our door. I think that those dishes are still sitting there! There was garbage all over the hotel. I was just shocked that the employees would be alright with the hotel looking like that. I then pushed the guest services button on the phone to set a wake up call and the gentleman that answered was a guest in his own room!!!!!!!! How does that happen. So then I dialed 0 to make sure I would get the front desk. The phone rang 13 times before someone answered. I asked for my wake up call and she said no problem. My husband then went down to use the business center. There was no paper in the printers so he went to the front desk to get paper and stood there for 10 minutes while the phone was ringing and no one was around. He finally got the paper he needed he went back to the business center where the computers are ran by Windows XP! Needless to say he was not able to print out any of his things for his meeting the next day!! After all of this we decided that we should just go to bed. Luckily I didn't rely on that wake up call that I asked for cause I NEVER received it!!!! As we were leaving I noticed that all of the express check out slips that were slid under doors had the guests names sticking out with address and everything showing!!!! Then I went to the front desk to check out. I was not greeted nicely at all. She acted like I was inconveniencing her by telling her we were checking out!!!! I can't believe that Carlson has kept this hotel as one of theirs!! I will make sure that I tell everyone I know NOT to stay here!!! One more not to the people that are reading this... there are many other hotels closer to the airport and Mall of America that you will receive better service. I know that from experience!!! Don't waste your money and time here!!!

Room Tip: Choose another hotel!!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Suzanna B, Front Office Manager at Park Plaza Bloomington, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Dear Sarah O,

I would first like to thank you for sharing your comments as we do read and take to heart all of our online reviews. There is nothing more important to the Park Plaza Hotel than customer service and it is obvious that our service failed you during your stay. I can assure you that we are taking the appropriate steps to correct those areas in which you have highlighted. Our staffing measures are being reevaluated to be sure that we are staffed properly at all times so that calls do not get missed, the hotel is appropriately and efficiently taking care of the public spaces and our customer service is at a level appropriate for a Carlson Hotel. Your candid comments will help us determine these areas in which we need to focus our attention so that your concerns are not repeated in the future.

I certainly hope that the remainders of the summer months are pleasant as they go by quickly. If I can ever be of personal assistance do not hesitate to reach out to me.

Suzanna Boshart - Front Office Manager - 952-831-3131
Wausau, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

When we checked into the hotel, the front desk checked us into the wrong room. We set up the reservation online and when we checked in he asked for i.d. and checked us in, however, to our surprise we were in the wrong room. We booked two rooms close by each other w/two double beds for April 20th, but when we got to our room...to our surprise the rooms were first on two different floors and the one room was a king bed. We then went to the front desk and asked them for a different room and the front desk guy said that they we're all booked up but we can give you a roll away for a charge. First of it wasn't our fault and we have to get charged for it. We then left for lunch, but before we sat down we called the hotel and asked them again who do you have for this reservation. It was the wrong name. What hotel checks in people without verifying who it is. The other issue I had was that this hotel has a fitness center. ..that was no center...it was the size of a bathroom. Half of the weights were gone and was a mess. I will not be staying here again.

• Stayed April 2013
Suzanna B, Front Office Manager at Park Plaza Bloomington, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Thomas S,

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review for our hotel. We do read all reviews posted and take these comments to heart. I sincerely apologize for the concerns you had during your stay. I have used your review as a training opportunity for our front desk staff so that they may realize the frustration of not verifying a guest's name and room type before checking them into the hotel. You should not have had to encounter this during your stay and I am truly sorry about that. I have also passed along your comments regarding the cleanliness of our fitness center. While it is a bit smaller than some centers, there is no excuse for a lack of cleanliness and equipment missing. I sincerely appreciate you bringing this to our attention so that we may correct this as soon as possible.

If I can ever be of personal assistance do not hesitate to reach out to me. I certainly hope that the rest of your travels were pleasant and that you enjoy the upcoming summer months.

952-831-3131
los gatos, ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

I used hotwire to get a deal on this hotel. I didn't know which hotel I would get but it was supposed to be a 3 star hotel, which is a good mid-range hotel. After i read the reviews, I was more than a little worried. Fortunately, I thought it was nice enough. From the reviews, I envisioned some hotel in a remote location located right off the freeway. It was not difficult to find and our GPS brought us right to the hotel so I don't understand all the comments from people getting lost with the gps. Also, even though we had to take a little road off the street to get to it, it was in a good location with restaurants and stores nearby. We didn't eat here, but I thought the rooms were nice enough and the room was clean. I especially liked the fact that they did not have a dirty old bedspread on top of the clean sheets and that they enclosed the comforter./ blanket within clean sheets so that nothing that was not washed each time there was a new guest, ever touches the guests. Had a nightmarish experience with bedbugs one time so I am more than aware of lice and bedbugs. There is no fridge or microwave, but I guess a lot of hotels don't have this amenity. Staff was courteous and helpful. I would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear lhflg,

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to submit a review for your most recent stay at our hotel. I am thrilled that we were able to exceed your expectations while you were here. I am especially glad that you were able to find us and that our location was convenient for shopping and restaurants. I have also shared your comments regarding the cleanliness of your room and the friendliness of the hotel staff with our management team as I am sure they will appreciate the comments. We are very lucky to have a great team of people working here at the hotel. Have a very happy Spring and upcoming Summer months.

Park Plaza Bloomington
952-831-3131
MN
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

REALLY disappointed with the cleanliness of our room. There was a thick layer of dust on each lamp, and every mirror was smudged...we had a 2 room suite with a wall of mirrors, with smudges everywhere. There were stains on the sofa and chairs. Many surfaces were sticky to the touch, particularly the desk chair and handles of the armoire- so much so, that I had to clean myself so that our hands were not sticky after touching things. There are too many small details overlooked which causes me to wonder about bigger details. In the common areas the dressers were missing handles and wallpaper was peeling - in our bathroom as well. It seems these things wouldn't be costly to fix...just needs someone to do it. Had my husband been with us when we checked in, we probably would not have stayed - or at the very least, requested a clean room. The small saving grace was that the king bed was comfortable and the hot tub was clean and hot. Strangely the pool was cold on Friday and warm on Saturday...seems it should be heated the same all the time. Doubtful we'd stay here again - at the prices offered, I'd trade the granite countertop (like the one in the bathroom) for cleanliness.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
PeteBoese, General Manager at Park Plaza Bloomington, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear brijoe1,

Thank you for your review of the Park Plaza Hotel, I am sorry that we were not able to meet your expectations with the cleanliness of the room. I too am disappointed to see that your room was not guest ready when you checked in. Obviously we need to look at our operation and ensure we are paying attention to the details of the rooms. I will review your comments with our housekeeping and engineering staff as well.

Thank you again for commenting on your stay and I am sorry we let you down.

Kind regards,

Pete Boese, general manager, 952-831-3311

Been to Park Plaza Bloomington? Share your experiences!