“Buyer Beware” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #29 of 38 Hotels in Bloomington
Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin
“Buyer Beware”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

the web site photos are not accurate. The rooms we stayed in had filthy carpet, old worn bedding and furnishings and smelled of stale cigarette smoke and dirt. Granted, we stayed in the so-called "pet-friendly" rooms (we asked to move to a different room after the first night because of the urine smell and stained, dirty, carpet). The second room was no better than the first, just different bad smells. The pool and hot tub were filthy, and when we reported something floating in the water on saturday, to the desk clerk, we were told it would be taken care of on Monday! It was still there when we checked out on tuesday. There is no coffee or tea available, the dining area is almost never open. Plus, no roll-away bed available even though the web site lists this as a possibility. The hotel was not at capacity, and this was not during a vacation or special event weekend.

Room Tip: Don't stay here unless your room rate is refundable if you are not satisfied with the accomodati...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
PeteBoese, General Manager at Park Plaza Bloomington, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Good afternoon and thank you for your response. I am sorry that the hotel was not able to meet all of your expectations during your recent visit. I have reviewed your comments with our housekeeping staff so they can work on ways to better service the rooms to avoid any offensive odors for the next guest. We definitely have to work harder to keep our aging hotel viable and do our best to have clean and fresh rooms.

Our engineering department is always on top of the pool water, so I am surprised to see that an issue wasn't taken care of in a timely manner. Our hotel is heavily used by families so the pool area has to be well maintained, I am sorry that it wasn't during your stay. We do offer rollaway beds and have about 15 of them on a first come, first serve basis, it is unfortunate that we did not have one available for your room.

Thank you and if you care to discuss your issues further, I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you directly. I am hopeful we can be of service to you for future visits as you are not that far away.

Kind regards,

Pete Boese, General Manager, 952-831-3311

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Wausau, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

This hotel was easy to find. The desk staff was very helpful. The room size and comfort were a great value. The only complaint I had was that the night stand next to the bed had something sticky on it and the carpet looked very warn. I guess the room could have been a little bit cleaner. Overall the hotel was nice and the price was right!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Good afternoon and thank you for your review of the Park Plaza Bloomington. I am pleased to see that overall you enjoyed your stay, but I am disappointed to see that the room was not as clean as it should have been. We will work on our quality of the room product and continue on our deep cleaning projects.

Best regards,

Pete Boese, General Manager, 952-831-3311
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

This is an older property with an odd location. This hotel is rated as a 3 star, it did have a 3 star lobby with on site restaurant and lounge but when it comes to the room floors it down graded to a 2 star. In major need of renovation from the elevators to the rooms. Old worn out carpeting, The wall covering in my room was peeling off and exposed some mold, the same thing was happening in the bathroom. The king sized bed although comfortable did not have fitted sheets so when you moved in the night you would wake up with the mattress exposed. There was dust in areas that you would think would have gotten clean if the house keeping paid attention to detail. The pool area was nice and the fitness room, although needs updated machines, met my needs. Hotel is within driving distance to plenty of restuarants and shopping. I have stayed in worse hotels but given the star rating I expected it to be better than it was. Next time I am in this area I will choose to stay elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
PeteBoese, General Manager at Park Plaza Bloomington, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Good morning and thank you for your review of the Park Plaza Bloomington. I am sorry that we were not able to meet your expectations during your recent visit to our hotel. I will share your comments with our housekeeping staff so they can focus on the details of the rooms to ensure it is as clean and fresh as it can be. We have to make sure our rooms are thoroughly cleaned and guest ready at all times. I will continue to seek capital dollars so we can continue to improve our hotel.

Winnipeg, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

Stayed at the Park Plaza September 13, 14, 15 with my wife, 1 year old and 4 year old. Decent hotel until............ On the third and last night my wife notice that my one year old had dropped a cracker under the desk. The light were low as the children slept as I went to pick up the cracker I noticed it was moving. I grabbed a flashlight and discovered it was actually covereed in hundreds of tiny aunts. I looked at the carpet around the cracker and it too was moving - absolutely covered in aunts - coming out from the wall. I had noticed a couple of aunts in the bathroom the day before and thought nothing of it. When I called the front desk - the employee said Oh! I guess will have to shut down the room after you check out. No apology and no offer to change rooms. I will never stay at this hotel or recommend it.

Room Tip: Dont choose room 817 - it is an aunt farm.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
PeteBoese, General Manager at Park Plaza Bloomington, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
Good morning and thank you for your review of the Park Plaza Bloominton. I am sorry that our front desk did not do more for you once you noticed the ants in the room, we definitely should have offered a room change once they were discovered. I understand our front office manager attempted to contact you to try and rectify the situation, but was unable to do so. Upon hearing of your comments we had our Orkin specialist stop in to eradicate the ants. We have not seen any more since then and I am sorry that they were there in the first place.

I will share your comments with our front office and housekeeping staff and discuss ways to be more proactive and ensure all of our rooms are guest ready prior to check in. I am happy to see that up to that point you had enjoyed your stay. It is our hope that we can be of service to you for future visits. I hope you are enjoying your fall up north.

San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

My friend booked this hotel for only $65 a night. Having been in the area often and not familiar with it, I was concerned. No need. The room was clean and quiet. The room size was decent-you don't straddle the toilet to get out of the bathroom, there is a desk w/ chair and another comfy chair. It didn't feel cramped. Bed and pillows were comfy. Water temp was the hottest I have ever experienced. Parking was plentiful, well lighted, and not far from a door. We found it convenient to all that we did. You aRe particularly close to southdale, galleria, 50th and France, etc. We spent time in shakopee, inver grove heights, a quick st at moa, and Minnetonka. Easy to get to. For the price, this is a value. The decor may be dated and the only coffee is the in-room coffee maker type, but I would stay again

Room Tip: We were on the 5th floor away from the elevators...very quiet
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
PeteBoese, General Manager at Park Plaza Bloomington, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Thank you for your comments regarding the Park Plaza Bloomington, I am pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay. I see that you travel extensively and have been to our area a number of times, thank you for choosing our hotel. You were very busy during your time here and covered a lot of ground, I hope you were able to relax a little bit. If your plans include a visit to Bloomington again, please feel free to contact me directly if I can be of assistance. I see you are from San Antonio--that is a great city, I was on task force at one our hotels there and enjoyed my six weeks in the Hills Country.

Paris, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

This was a nice hotel near the Mall of America. The check-in and check-out was very quick and efficient. The location is a not close to Univ of Minnesota (about 20-25 mins) but it is very close to the Mall. The bed was pretty comfortable and I appreciated the business-style set up with the desk. The room was pretty clean and didn't have any major issues during my stay. The good part was that even on the upper floors I didn't have any issues with the free internet and the signal was good all the time which was nice.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review of the Park Plaza Hotel, I am pleased to see that we were able to meet your expectations during your recent visit. If I can ever be of personal service, please don't hesitate to contact me directly. Until your next visit, safe travels.

Kind regards, Pete Boese
Sauk Centre, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel for years, but admittedly my last stay was three years ago when I was working in Minneapolis part-time and needed a room on an almost weekly basis. I usually Priceline and this place was often where I ended up, but I always felt it was special with it's big plush king beds and a feel like a European boutique hotel. That's why I was so happy when I got it this past week, but I was in for a surprise. As others have commented, it's getting rather worn and the worst thing is the beds are much harder than anything I remember. I believe everything there is showing its age and I guess my main complaint is that what used to be special is no longer. The next night I moved to the DoubleTree in Bloomington (used to be a Radisson and before that a Sheraton) and I was shocked at how much more comfortable it is in their new incarnation. It's amazing what a renovation will do and it would be nice if those who own the Park Plaza would get the message.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
PeteBoese, General Manager at Park Plaza Bloomington, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Good morning and thank you for your review of the Park Plaza Hotel. I am sorry that we disappointed you after many favorable stays over the years. I am surprised to see that the beds did not meet your expectations, we replaced all of the beds in the past two years with Simmons pillow topped beds and five new feather pillows in all of the king rooms. Bedding is the most difficult item to satisfy all guests, everybody has their own preferences and we do receive many compliments on our bedding package. Unfortunately, your stay was negatively affected by them. I am pleased to see that you were able to find another location that was better suited to your needs.

As stated in many other responses, we are trying hard to gain capital dollars to update our rooms, in the mean time, we have to rely on our level of service that we provide our guests. Thank you again and we were happy to be of service to you and hopefully at some point we will be able to meet your travel needs again.

Kind regards, Pete Boese, General Manager

Been to Park Plaza Bloomington? Share your experiences!