“A very nice hotel...” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 38 Hotels in Bloomington
Iowa City, IA
“A very nice hotel...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2009

I was surprised to see the medicore reviews for this hotel. We checked in around 7:00, and it had so-so appeal on the exterior. It is right off I-35 and I-494, but is tucked in an almost residential area. When I pulled up, I was thinking I was in for a not so nice hotel. WRONG! We walked in and it was beautiful in the lobby/atrium. Spacious, nice fountain, glass elevators, and a very South Florida-feel to it. We went to our room, and were even more impressed. Unlike a typical hotel room, this had french doors to each room with glass. Opening it up, these were nice 2-room suites. Sinks in both rooms, plus a bathroom, and flat panel TVs in both rooms. This was great to put the kids in one room and us in the other. The only complaints I have is that the elevators were slow, and the bathroom was a little small. There is a nightly manager's reception, which unfortunately, we missed most of due to later check-in. FREE ALCOHOL and snacks for 2 hours! I literally saw a table of 4 adults at a table with 20 drinks. No doubt some use this reception to avoid the $50 bar tab at a local establishment. Pool area was very nice and spacious...again very South Florida. The hot tub was smaller, and warm, not hot. There is a suana too. In the morning, there is a "cooked to order" breakfast, which is code for a buffet and a guy making omlets. The omlets tasted good, and the breakfast was good. We will definitely stay at this hotel again on our next trip to the Twin Cities. I think anything under $150 is a good deal for this hotel, especially when you factor in free drinks/snacks in the evening, and a free breakfast in the morning.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
milwaukee, wi
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2009

We stayed in an executive suite. If you're looking for something that's quiter, I definitely recommend an executive suite. The suites are in the corners, thus, the foot traffic noise is very little. This is important because this is a very family friendly hotel - which was great because we traveled with small children - but it means there's lots of kids running around the hallways.

The rooms all have front walls made of glass, which can be a little strange, again - for us, another reason we liked being in the corner, where people weren't walking by our room (you can pull heavy drapes across the glass for privacy when in the room, but it's awkward to pull across the door when out of the room (if you do, you run right into the curtain when coming back to the room.)

The elevators are very slow and yes, as many reviews said, one wasn't working. We were on the top floor (8th foor) so we had to deal with this issue - but it wasn't a dealbreaker.

Breakfast - the food itself is good. On Saturday we ate around 8 am and had no issues with standing in line or finding a table. On Sunday we ate around 8:30 and it was packed - long lines (for hot food), and harder to find a table.

Rooms - the executive suite is approx 20% larger than the regular suites. We stayed with a 1 year old and a 3 year old and it was fine. The bathroom / sink area was huge - at one point we used it to put a Pack-N-Play for a nap. The room was comfortable, but nothing spectacular. I wouldn't classify this as a luxury hotel. but again, it's fine.

Parking - if you come later at night, you can get parking, but not super close to the doors. Again, not a big deal, but you do need to unload luggage, find a luggage cart, load up, then park (depending on the amount of luggage you have).

Recommend - I marked that I would recommend this hotel to a friend - but it depends on their situation. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone traveling without childdren. For people traveling with children, the room size for the price, and the good location is worth it.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Omaha,Nebraska
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2008

The Hotel has an excellent HVAC system as well as well decorated remodel in its suites area. The only large problem that existed the entire trip was the fact when I checked I was forced to sign a noisy patron/ disruptive children form...meaning if my kids or myself where loud and disruptive I or we would be removed from the hotel. I couldnt have wished it to be any more true for the children staying at this hotel. The kids ran wild from sun up to sun down with no consequence. The elevators at this property are morbidly slow, especially when you had kids pressing all the buttons to stop at each floor. The evening reception was great, in that it was free, after all who would want to pay for the watered down mis made drinks. Also beware if the hotel is full of kids or full period you may want to get to breakfast as soon as they open because in the 4 nights I was there I waited for 20 minutes in the buffet line and another 10 for inconsiderate kids and parents to finish their barmitzfah. The only really positive that came from this was rate that I got from a friend. I was recommended to this hotel by someone else, I could do the same if I knew large unruly inconsiderate groups werent going to be there.

• Liked — The rate, shuttle service
  • Disliked — Large groups at every outlet of the hotel, Loud kids.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
msp
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2008

My husband and I go on mini-trips every 2-3 months, so we've stayed in a fair share of chain hotels. We've yet to repeat a hotel but all of them seemed the same. Embassy Suites surpassed all the hotels we've seen by far! Although the location is a little deceiving (off the side of a large highway, the section of town seems zzZzZz), the hotel was beautiful inside! It's really fancy yet modern and upgraded at the same time. We totally weren't expecting it at all. We stayed on the 6th floor. The rooms were beautiful! Each room has both a huge living room and a huge bedroom. The rooms are equipped with an arm chair and a loveseat, a beautiful oak l-shaped desk, computer chairs, dressers, 2 flat screen televisions, a huge bed! OMG I cannot say enough good things about this hotel. It's huge, beautifully decorated and its quiet as well even though theres a large atrium center. A minor note and heads up: the bathroom is really small, only large enough to accomodate 1 person at a time :(

• Liked — decor
  • Disliked — small bathroom
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2008

Others have covered the physical aspects of the hotel in detail and are on the money, But I would like to say hats off to the staff. From personable greetings at check in to the cooks at breakfast, this group gets it and congrats to you all for giving the hotel some personality .

• Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Iowa City, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2008

After staying in this property in 2006 and commenting on this web site that the hotel, while nice, could use some upgrades, we visited again and were pleased with the renovations to the rooms. It is a very comfortable hotel and the service is excellent. The pool, in particular, was something we appreciate as so many hotel pools these days are tiny. My kids enjoyed it very much. The breakfast is excellent and had something for everyone. We will stay again when we visit the Twin Cities.

• Liked — The service
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
Omaha Area
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2008

I used Hilton Honor points to stay at this hotel - the check in went smoothly and quickly - the room was great - three sinks - one in the bathroom, one in the master bedroom and one in the living room made it easy for our family of three - the rooms had extra large flat screen TV's and plenty of lights, chairs, and a really nice desk for work - the frig and microwave worked well - there was this electrical pole going up the side of our bedroom with some attachments on it - it looked strangely out of place - and in the morning there was some construction of some sort going on in the rooms above us that made it very noisy - good thing we had not decided to sleep in - the maids were prompt - we had to ask for pillows for the sleeper sofa and they were there within five minutes -

The only complaints are - and they are minor - the shower took a very long time for the hot water to actually become hot - and the elevators are very small - and very difficult to push the luggage cart into them due to the configuration -

The pool and fitness area was fantastic - each machine had its own TV hooked up to all the cable channels that are in your room - my one concern there would be unappropriate movies that children could possibly watch or see as others are using the machines - the spa was warm but not hot - but okay - the managers reception had a nice variety of options, plus you could order off of a menu- but the wait staff was very slow - so after waiting for quite awhile, we decided on another dinner option.

The inside grounds are very beautiful with plenty of live plants, flowers and water features - the outside was well landscaped as well, but much of the parking area was not well lit - I had to go to my car twice and was concerned for safety just due to that fact - if some of the trees would be trimmed, then the lights that are there would shine better in the parking area -

The morning breakfast was excellent - with many choices - the cook was friendly and accommodating - no complaints there at all - Check out was as smooth as check in - the staff seemed to know what they were doing - there is a small Starbucks on site, but a young teen girl serving while polite, did not really know the answers to some of the questions, and my cappuccino was only filled 2/3 of the way - so with the prices slightly inflated, it was not a good bargain

The hotel charges for wi-fi internet usage - which I think needs to change - Panera Bread, Starbucks and many hotels do not charge - Embassy needs to understand the times and culture we live in and not charge for something so common - even airports offer it free - but they do have a small business center - with two nice computers that were almost always available -

The hotel is a bit diffictul to find, and is kind of hidden, but once there, it is very convenient - and very close to a larger mall and lots of stores - plus a steakhouse next door make it a very nice place to stay - I would definitely stay there again, and probably will as I frequently go to Minneapolis on business

• Liked — Beds were very comfortable
  • Disliked — no wi fi in the rooms and waiting for hot water for shower
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Embassy Suites Bloomington? Share your experiences!