“Great Locations” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 38 Hotels in Bloomington
McPherson
“Great Locations”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

This is without a doubt a great Best Western property.The staff was fantastic with the exception of one clerk that didn't have her nametag (I figured she was a rookie with her lack of social skills). The kids loved the pool and the proximity MOM is perfect.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Mark O, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Bloomington Hotel, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Thanks for your kind words and taking the time to let us know of your experience at our hotel. I am glad you had an overall great impression when you stayed with us. I will talk with the Front Office team to make sure all our desk staff our attentive and taking care of each and all of our guests at the Best Western Plus in Bloomington.

Best Western Plus Bloomington

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
Kansas City, MO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

This hotel is a TOP PICK, espeically for visiting the Mall of America and Nickelodeon Universe! Being from the Kansas City, MO area...I didnt realize that the Mall was converted to Nickelodeon. It was recommended by a friend so we researched hotels.
By luck and reading lots of tripadvisor reviews I found this gem of a place!

We stayed here twice, once in June 2011 (with an almost 3 year old) and July 2012 (with an almost 4 year old). I wish we could go back this summer. I didn't get this review done in a timely manner but this was our experience last year at our most recent stay:

We booked directly through the website...and there was a stay 3 nights get 1 free I believe. This allowed me to splurge on the poolside room. We drove a long 7 hours...and this hotel was easy to locate and had a clean parking lot with ample parking. We felt very safe walking in and leaving our car each night. On both stays, the front desk staff were busy but more than helpful.
The waterpark/pool inside is what sealed the deal for us...and also the location. There is a shuttle provided to MOA, but the walk across the road took maybe 10 minutes and it was WONDERFUL!!! Right across from Macys.
Having a small child, we would spend a lot of time in the mall and at the Nickelodeon Spots,,,,but we also really enjoyed the waterpark in this hotel. It has a small kiddie area that was perfect for our 2 year old one summer and our then 3 year old the next. We didn't spend enough time at the pool, saldy in summer of 2012....because for some odd reason the pool water was VERY cold during this stay. The previous summer it had been perfect.
We were a tad disappointed because the pool side room was so awesome...and then it was almost too cold to swim....but we still enjoyed our stay. I did call the desk 3 days in a row to ask if the water could be warmed up and was basically told not really....but I often observed workers cleaning the area and replacing towels.

The hotel rooms are great, plenty of room, lovely updated decor and the room was ultra clean! No complaints on anything there. The breakfast was an added bonus....hot breakfast and plenty of it! Sure if you waited until closer to 10:00am it would be very busy...but it was free, fresh and available so no complaints.
We did not eat at the onsite restaurant...but we did walk down to Chevy's Fresh Mex (awesome!!!) and the IHOP one morning because we were too late for breakfast and having a very late start. IHOP was not impressive. They served a very raw steak and eggs. Yuck, Maybe I should review them next but it has been a year since that incident (July 2012) so I will hope it has improved.

If you have ANY doubts about choosing a hotel for a Mall of America trip.....set them aside. This one is a GEM! I have recommended it to several friends and the only bad thing is that it is sometimes full in the summer.

We love this place and would love to return for our 3rd trip to MOA and Minnesota soon!

Room Tip: Poolside was worth the extra fee with our small child and getting all of our gear to the pool!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Chico, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Now I will start this out with a confession that I am normally not a very big fan of Best Western. Most of their facilities are old, overpriced and outdated. NOT IN THIS CASE.

Staff: I have nothing but really good things to say about the staff. Helpful, Courteous, Interested in making your stay better, it was refreshing to experience real customer service again.
Rooms: Good sized, clean, everything worked. Enjoyable.
Price: Reasonable for the location.
Location: Fantastic. 10 minutes from the airport. And they have a shuttle. Walk across the crosswalk ti the Mall of America. Great restaurants in the mall and at the hotel.

I highly recommend this hotel, but you have to make reservations early. During the summer the staff says they usually fill up.

Room Tip: Be sure to book early.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Las Vegas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

We have stayed here three times now and all stays have been great. Within walking distance to the Mall of America. We walk to the mall and take the train to Target Field for baseball games. Very convenient. IKEA is also on the other side of the mall so that's an easy drive over there. Breakfast is typical hotel breakfast - nothing spectacular but definitely well done. We don't have kids, but there always seems to be families staying here that make use of the pool, etc. We've stayed in three different areas of the hotel and all rooms have been nice and quiet. Front desk and other staff friendly and helpful.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Waukee, IA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

I typically prefer to stay at another hotel chain, but my wife wanted to stay within walking distance of MOA. Best Western had the best reviews and we could quickly see why. Super convenient. They have a shuttle, but we didn't need to use it. We could walk there just as fast. Fabulous pool area, great breakfast, friendly and attentive staff (throughout the hotel, not just the front desk). Big plus for me was how hard they work at being clean. A small army of staff buzzing around vacuuming, cleaning, wiping... I even noticed a guy testing the pool every morning to make sure it was up to another day full of families. On weekends, be aware that with all the families staying, (with kids) that it's going to get noisy at times. Nothing that can be done about that. If you want super quiet, this may not be the place for you. But for families... the pefect blend of everything a family wants and/or needs. And as for Best Western overall? I was impressed enough that I joined their rewards program and will likely consider them for stays in other locations that I might not have otherwise.

Room Tip: Room on the West Side face a busy highway... might want to avoid those if you can. Poolside rooms ar...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Mark O, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Bloomington Hotel, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Dave, thanks for becoming a Best Western Rewards Member. I am glad we impressed you and i hope to see you back at our hotel very soon.

Best Western Plus
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

My daughter and I stayed here when we were in town for a volleyball tournament. The hotel overall is very nice and clean. The rooms were wonderful and the breakfast was good. They had a variety of food, it was hot and fresh. One morning however, there were no omelets, we were told they would be right out, but never seen them and didn't have time to keep waiting. Eventually, we had to leave.

It is directly across from the Mall of America, which is convenient when you are in Minnesota to shop. However, if you are going to the Convention Center downtown every day, its a good 20 minute drive at least, depending on traffic. I've stayed at other Best Westerns and other hotels next to the Mall just as nice or nicer and paid significantly less money. I thought it was a little pricey at $110.00 a night in April.

I took a few of our girls to the hotel restuarant, 3 of them ordered burgers well done, they were completely raw in the middle. Fortunately, the waiter was nice enough to take them off the bill, since the girls could not eat them and did give them each a dish of ice cream. They needed food, however, we didn't have time to wait for another meal to be cooked. Service was slow and the food took forever to come thats why we were surprised the burgers were raw. Also drinks at the bar were very expensive.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Berz1, thank you so much for your kind words of the Best Western Plus. We do try to change up our breakfast menu daily so we are not serving the same items, but I appreciate you stating your favorites. I will also discuss with the Restaurant Manager about your experience with them. We hope when you travel back to the Bloomington area that you choose us.

sincerely,

General Manager Best Western Plus
New Boston, IL, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

This Best Western was absolutely beautiful! The hotel was very convenient being right across from the Mall of America and they have a free shuttle that takes you to and from there which was great after a long day! Jenna at the front desk was extremely friendly and greeted us warmly at check-in! The rooms were very spacious and ultra-clean. The bed was literally amazing. (I even got the make and model # of it) It literally felt like I was sleeping on a cloud. I loved the addition of the I-pod alarm clock!! The bathrooms were well stocked with amenities and the pool area was very spacious and relaxing. I'm a sucker for a hot tub and this one was just about perfect! I almost forgot to mention the amazing restaurant that was on site! The food was fantastic and they had a great happy hour as well! It was a great couple days away for a couple celebrating their 6 month anniversary together!

There were a few things that I feel I should mention that took the hotel down from a 5 to a 4. Some individuals working the front desk were not exactly the most friendly when calling to ask for extra towels or to request the shuttle. They seemed to be bothered that we were calling them. I work at a hotel as well (same brand) and that is not how we choose to treat our guests. This was not for everyone as I did state earlier that Jenna was beyond helpful and others were great as well.
The bathrooms could use some rearranging, especially because it seemed like every time someone took a shower the entire floor was soaked. Maybe it just needs to be a change in curtains? The holder for the toilet paper was also in a strange spot and would always get wet every time during a shower.
The breakfast was pretty good but not the absolute best. Everything was well stocked but the eggs were watery and not everything was hot all the time. The waffle bar was pretty neat and I liked the addition of the strawberries and whipped cream.

Room Tip: Try to get a room closer to the front if possible. The hotel is kind of a strange layout and we had...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Mark O, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Bloomington Hotel, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to let us know of your great stay at the Best Western Plus in Bloomington. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed some of our amenities here at the hotel. I will also discuss some of the issues you mentioned with the Frond Desk Management staff and our Breakfast staff. We will use take your comments to good use and improve these areas to make future guests have even a more enjoyable stay.

Thanks for choosing the Best Western Plus in Bloomington!

Best Western Plus Bloomington

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Bloomington Hotel? Share your experiences!