“Amazing Service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Bloomington Hotel

You added Sheraton Bloomington Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton Bloomington Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   5601 West 78th St., Bloomington, MN 55439 (Formerly Sofitel Minneapolis)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #12 of 38 Hotels in Bloomington
minneapolis
“Amazing Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Hotel is under renovation, soon to be completed; however its still a great place to stay.
I highly valued having my room type preference accommodated, loved the shower experience, loved actually getting shaving cream but was most impressed by Lillian and Deb on staff. Had many questions before booking about the hotel/renovation. They answered them all and I had a great stay based on their insight.

Room Tip: I like a shower only room! Two showerheads
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Went for a convention last year that was hosted at the hotel next door. We stayed in a club suite, so we had access to a secret clubhouse room with snacks and drinks. Everything and everyone was clean and wonderful, except one woman who worked in the secret room. She was fine to us, but very mean to her staff members. I remember her yelling at a young female staff member right in front of us, it was very unkind and we felt so bad for the girl. Other than that, our stay was great, 9/10 would stay again.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
WEG_Manager, General Manager at Sheraton Bloomington Hotel, responded to this review, yesterday
Allison O -

Thank you for your review of the property, it is much appreciated. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for the information on the behavior of one of our associates. It certainly isn't something we condone.

I hope you'll have the opportunity to visit us again soon.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Due to some unexpected changes in my travel plans, I was desperate for a place to stay in Bloomington and from the outside this place looked as good as any in the area at one on a cold and rainy morning. The staff could not log into the computer system to check me in for an extremely long time, at first telling me they could not get me a room--though they knew there were some empty ones in this very large and creepy-looking place--and then floundering around ineptly, giving me incorrect directions to a restroom in the meantime so that I found myself wandering around alone in a large, darkened dining area of some kind: very strange. One of the staff finally led me to a room down another dark hall and brought me keys an hour or later once they finally managed to figure out how to work around whatever woes the computer was giving them. The room looked normal, even nice, at first, obviously recently remodeled, but when I opened the curtain to see what was outside, I realized that it opened onto a construction area indoors, in a kind of bizarre-looking courtyard filled with junk. Plyboard barriers, a huge and hideous dangling light fixture made to look like circles hanging sideways (as if they might fall any minute, though apparently someone thought this style looked modern or something because other examples of it appear in the previously mentioned dining area), and other unidentified stuff that looks like it's just lying around--and I cannot for the life of me imagine what that area is intended to be when it's done, but whatever it is I don't see how it's going to be possible to remove the gloomy, scary quality. Turn on some lights, people! I didn't get to sleep until four, and then construction noises, hammering, drilling, loud booms, workmen yelling, etc., began shortly after eight. All this to the tune of $200 a night, the price I was originally quoted, but the staff must've felt sorry for me because finally they charged "only" $150+. Maybe this place is not really worth saving, or maybe they should close it down until they're done fixing it up, but the granite countertops in the bathroom were in no way enough to make up for no sleep and the sense that filming could start any minute on a remake of The Shining. Also, the furniture didn't really match, with what appeared to be an old printer stand in the corner of the brand new and otherwise well-appointed bathroom. If that was supposed to be for towels, they should've put some in it. As it was it only added to the sensation that things are just shoved any old place during the renovation process here.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
Alis W -

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I was quite taken with the writing style and appreciated reading of your experience. Please accept my apologies that it was not as you were expecting, though our websites all clearly state that the property is undergoing a complete renovation. I am happy to report that we just got our first floor of completed rooms back this week and they look spectacular.

The rest of the property will be completed within the next eight weeks. I hope that you'll come back and see what magic we were able to perform and the transformation of the hotel into something worthy of being in the movies.

Winnipeg, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We booked the Sheraton because it was relatively close to the Mall of America and we were looking for a nice 4 star hotel to stay in for a weekend excursion without the kids.

My first impression of the Sheraton was that it was not entirely convenient to reach from the freeway, so that wasn't ideal. When I got there I found that it was being renovated which is a good and bad thing. Good in the sense that is sorely needs the update, bad in the sense that it was both ugly and dated, and that I had to look at construction barriers and go avoid pylons and construction equipment in the parking lot.

The staff were friendly when we first entered, and our check-in went smoothly except for one minor detail. My wife had made the reservation online and had requested a high up room, when we checked in the reception asked if we wanted an interior room or one with a view outside. We chose the later and found ourselves on the ground floor looking at storage containers.

The room itself was okay, nothing impressive, no fridge which we missed. The bathroom was nice, except the shower was slightly clogged and drained very slowly, I found myself with water above my ankles as I showered in the morning.

My wife was able to easily connect to the wifi with her iphone, but I could not connect with my samsung galaxy. The next morning my wife could not connect to the wifi either.

The people in the adjacent room had children with them, which we can relate to as we have children of our own. The children however were quite loud and were jumping on the bed and yelling at each other which we could hear clearly in our room.

We were also disappointed that there was no pool or hot tub, though that is on us as we failed to check if the 4 start hotel had those amenities.

It might seem unfair to rate the stay down due to construction, but I can only rate it based on how I experienced it, and the upgrades were not completed, and my stay was tempered by the construction when I was trying to have a stay at a 4 star hotel. This may be the problem of the booking website, but these details should be clear before booking.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Benjamin J -

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I am sorry that you were not made aware of the renovation prior to your arrival. Though we do our utmost to ensure all guests are made aware of this during the reservation process not all third party booking sites pass this important information on. Please accept my apologies.

I hope that you will come back and visit us again after July when renovations are completely finished and you can experience our brand new hotel.

Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2015

We have stayed at this hotel many times and have found the service and quality of food/beverage operations to be consistently good. What stands out about this hotel are the staff. They take the extra step to make sure that your experience is good. It starts at the front desk and continues with the restaurant and bar staff.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
Rob M -

Thank you for your kind comments regarding your recent stay with us. I was very happy to read that you enjoyed our food and beverage options even though they were slightly limited given our renovation. But I was very pleased to see your comments regarding the experiences you had with our associates.

I hope you'll be back again soon.

Delafield, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2015

My family (our dog included) had a great time at this hotel. The staff is absolutely wonderful and very professional. They made our stay so comfortable, we loved it and would stay there again in a heartbeat! If you travel with a pet, I highly recommend this hotel. I have never felt at ease traveling with my puppy as I felt at Sheraton Bloomington Hotel.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
Minneapolis, MN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2015

I requested a quiet corner room with King bed & we received that. We paid for Club level which includes free appetizers & continental breakfast & Starbucks coffee & pop & water & tea & milk. The milk machine was not working & no attendants around so I had to take apart the milk dispenser to get my own milk for my coffee bc I'm a big Starbucks coffee drinker & have to have cream, plus I paid for it so I was entitled to it. The spring rolls were awesome. The desserts were great. Breakfast was ok but full of obnoxious 10 year olds taking all the food & again, no attendants. Room was very quiet, but a bit outdated. Bathroom was updated nicely. Room service was very pricey so we ordered pizza delivery. Pretty lobby area. Lit up to look quite fancy at night. Beds, down comforter, & pillows were best part of hotel, super comfy & luxurious. Could sleep for days if allowed too. No pool. Gift shop was all french items & a bit spendy. The hotel really needs to keep up with the club lounge, food kept running out, things not working, & key card wasn't working so anyone cld get free food, pop etc even ppl who didn't pay for it which was very upsetting. No one at cash bar which are at most Starwood property Club Lounges, also, club lounge not easy to find. Had to ask around.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Sheraton Bloomington Hotel? Share your experiences!