“Home away from home” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Bloomington Hotel

You added Sheraton Bloomington Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton Bloomington Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   5601 West 78th St., Bloomington, MN 55439 (Formerly Sofitel Minneapolis)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #12 of 38 Hotels in Bloomington
Road warrior
“Home away from home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I stay at this hotel frequently. Karen consistently meets me at the front desk with a smile and remembers who I am and what I'm up to. Raki has gone out in severe weather to pull my car up and make it ready for me. The food is excellent - Sammy always makes sure we are taken care of, and Nicky is simply wonderful at the bar.

The rooms are spacious and clean. The beds are very comfortable and the rooms are quiet. The hotel is going through a renovation this winter for strategic reasons - otherwise it wouldn't need one.

Whenever I'm in town, I always make a point to stay here. I really feel like I'm at home.

Stayed December 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This hotel is great. I stay here almost every week for work. I could stay at any other one in the area, but I choice to return to this one.

The pros:
1. The staff is fantastic. They are friendly, accommodating.and polite. I wish I knew all their names, but that would be a very long list.
2. The rooms are clean and well maintained. Plenty of hot water.
3. The gym has elliptical machines, treadmills, bikes and weights. Some of the machines have TVs.
4. There's plenty of water available - in the room and gym.
5. Very convenient to freeways, grocery stores and the Mall of America.
6. The breakfast/evening snacks in the Club room are a nice treat. The staff keeps the room clean and well stocked.

The cons:
1. There's no underground parking. Winters in MN are COLD and snowy. However - Raki will pull your car around for you. He offered to pull my car around and load my luggage. It really made my day!

• Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My company had their Christmas party here in the main ballroom, so we took advantage of this and decided to stay the night. We booked a Club level room through SPG which was supposed to include "Breakfast In Lounge" (quoted from email confirmation). I called the 800 Customer Service number because I wanted to compare this option to a standard Bed & Breakfast Rate. The representative told me that 1) it would be served on Club level, the level we stayed on and that 2) it was more elaborate than the continental breakfast served in the restaurant, which would have been included with the B&B rate. Based on this, we selected the Club rate. It would not be as nice as breakfast in bed, but the second best due to a limited number of people attending and that we could take just a minute to walk over to breakfast on the same floor.

We we checked in, we discovered that renovations were being done to the Club floor and that breakfast, hors d'ouevres, and cocktails would be served on the 1st floor (we were on the 6th). None of this was told to us by Central Reservations, nor was is stated anywhere during the website reservation process. Very frustrating. We weren't told anything about breakfast either; more on that later.

We got to our room and neither key worked. My boyfriend went back to the front desk and they replied with a complacent, careless attitude that no light came on, but it would buzz. We aren't stupid. The keys did absolutely nothing. Anyhow, he was sent back up with a new set of card keys, and sure enough, the buzzer worked and we were let into the room. After sitting there frustrated about breakfast and Happy Hour, I decided to call the front desk. First I was told that no breakfast was included whatsoever. Then after some discussion (argument?), the man told me about the renovation situation and that we had a complimentary breakfast available downstairs. I told him that this was not acceptable. We upgraded to Club rates for these items, but they weren't even available to us. I asked him what they could do to recompense, possibly breakfast in bed or a credit, anything. He said we could have Breakfast in Bed but that we'd have to pay for it. Defeats the purpose a little, right? Finally, he begrudgingly said he would talk to the manager. About a half-hour later the manager called and said he would send up two breakfast vouchers. I want to note here that after all of these problems, no apology was said, by any of the staff, at any time. The staff was obviously more concerned about being "right" in an argument (which they were not) than having any degree of customer satisfaction. When the vouchers came up, they were slid under the door - so personal! We noticed that they were valid for a "complimentary Continental Breakfast". Great, now back to square one. We called back to the front desk and they said they would be good for a "standard breakfast", whatever that means, and couldn't even say if the vouchers had a dollar limit, or how we knew what they would cover at the restaurant.

The next morning around 9:30, we headed down to the hotel restaurant named Colette's. We were promptly seated and the atmosphere was nice. However, after many minutes went by we started looking around. No one had come by to even greet us or ask us for our beverage choices. We noticed there weren't any other patrons eating either. There were three employees but they all appeared to be bussers/water/coffee people. More time went by and we were still completely ignored; I would estimate for 15 minutes at least. We debated checked out the Club continental breakfast and finally left due to the incompetence of the staff or restaurant management. On the way out we said we would come back when we could actually get service.

The continental breakfast was ok. Very limited, no juice, Excellent pineapple but the other items were pretty standard/average fare. We were looking forward to some hot eggs or omelets and sausage or bacon and potatoes in the restaurant.

All this being said, the hotel itself was very nice and not run-of-the mill, probably because it used to be a Sofitel. It was clean and updated and had nice designer touches. The bed was very comfortable also. The only thing we found frustrating about our room was that the HVAC louvered vents were pointed towards the window, so the window area got warm while the rest of the room stayed chilly.

Next time we are in the area, we will stay at Doubletree.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I went here for work but would recommend it for families as well. Close to Southdale and the 494 strip. Friendly service from start to finish. Nice restaurant in Colette's with good food. Room was clean and comfortable. Will stay here again.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This property used to be the Hotel Sofitel. It was recently purchased by the owner of the Edina Westin property and is now undergoing renovation, which is generally needed. Sadly, the French gift shop (with marvelous items) is going to be replaced by a Starbuck's, which are starting to be as ubiquitous as McDonald's. On the plus side, the Sheraton staff are competent and accommodating. I was asked where I would like my room to be in the hotel -- if you ask for a quiet room, you will face an interior atrium decorated with a galaxy of twinkling lights, which at night is quite pleasant. (Don't worry, the lights go away with room darkening shades.) The rooms are large and well appointed, even if somewhat dated.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled solo
Duluth, Minnesota, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Although i began staying at this hotel back in the mid-seventies, shortly after the building was first opened by Sofitel, i became a regular customer in mid-2012, at which time i began staying here regularly monthly, or more. When Sheraton took the hotel over recently, there was no lessening of service or quality. The staff are pleasant, helpful and make a point of getting to know their customers. I have never suffered any serious lapse in service of any sort that was not made right immediately. the food is excellent and high value for the price. The rooms are clean, well-kept and high value for the price. I intend to remain a regular customer of this hotel. Downtown Minneapolis hotels charge far more for the same quality of accomodations and service.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
WEG_Manager, General Manager at Sheraton Bloomington Hotel, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
James B -

Thank you for your positive comments. I glad to read that you see no change in service or quality since the hotel has changed hands. We are about to embark on a multi-million dollar renovation and look forward to you remaining a loyal customer for many years to come.

Warmly

Marc Faubert
south dakota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This hotel is beautiful. The staff was very nice as well. We had one problem, we got in super late and all we wanted to do was go to bed. We get ready for bed and pull back the sheets and it was very obvious that the maid had not changed the sheets! Like we said, too bad one person can put such a dark spot on a beautiful hotel! I groggily called down and the had no one there to change the sheets (UMMM, no one with arms?! I could have done it!) so they moved us to a new room. Would for sure stay again, like I said just too bad something so important was kind of messed up on due to someone's laziness.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends
valtravelpal -

Please accept my apologies over this lapse in service. There is no excuse for this type of incident and I have brought it to the attention of our Housekeeping Department. I was happy to see that despite this lapse you still thought the hotel and the rest of our associates were nice.

And I am happy to learn that you will not this one incident deter you from returning. Thank you for continued business.

Warmly

Marc Faubert

Been to Sheraton Bloomington Hotel? Share your experiences!