“Girls Shopping Weekend” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Bloomington Hotel

You added Sheraton Bloomington Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton Bloomington Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   5601 West 78th St., Bloomington, MN 55439 (Formerly Sofitel Minneapolis)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #12 of 38 Hotels in Bloomington
Poplar, Wisconsin
“Girls Shopping Weekend”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

This hotel had recently been a Sofitel and was sold to Sheraton shortly before we got there. It's a bit tricky to get to it because it's hidden behind lots of buildings. Our room was very nice and updated! The towels were brand new and amazing! We did not eat at the restaurant or order room service. There was room for a refrigerator and that would have been a great touch. They had complimentary water in the room and that was nice.

Room Tip: We were at the end of the hallway and didn't hear a soul!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
WEG_Manager, General Manager at Sheraton Bloomington Hotel, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Jan A -

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on your recent stay - it is very much appreciated. I was happy to read that you noticed some of the new upgrades we've done in the guest rooms.

I hope you enjoyed your shopping weekend and I hope to see you back again soon.

Marc Faubert

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Seattle
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

Perhaps you should know before you book a room at the previously amazing Sofitel in Minneapolis that it is in fact a Sheriton Hotel now. I booked a room five days before my recent stay and was never told by either Accor Group (owners of the Sofitels around the world), nor by the now Sheriton Hotel, that the building had changed hands! How and why is that even possible that neither group informed me of that change? The signage everywhere said Sheriton, even the main sign off of the freeway, as well as everywhere within the hotel rooms. These changes were not made in one day.
This was only my first disappointment during my three night stay.
The room I was given was clean and had the standard Sofitel feel, but was overlooked for many damages and hazards. For a 'luxury' hotel, it surprised me that the lamp shade by the bed was cracked and broken, the bathroom floor stained, the bed uncomfortably lumpy and the floor throughout so uneven, it became a hazard to simply walk from the bedroom to the bathroom or out to the hall. To boot, on the first morning, upon waking up, there were three large boxes stacked outside of the room, which remained even up to checkout a few days later. Simply tacky.
The worst part of the experience was seeing numerous emoloyees, while working, on their cell phones in the lobby, or even the many outside smoking, all while continuously walking by bottles, glasses and cigarette butts that were left behind by guests... Lots and lots of cigarette butts. Even as a smoker, (who throws away their butts), I felt that it was unacceptable to see the piles grow larger over the three night stay, directly by the main entrance. Simply nasty.

I, along with my family members that have always stayed here, will not return to this hotel. With Sheriton at the helm, the luxury of the Sofitel experience is gone.

I found it odd that management told me, upon check out, that they were "not allowed" to inform the guests of the changes in management... By whom I wonder? Accor or Sheriton?
If I would have been made aware of the major change, I would have stayed at a luxury hotel downtown.

I found it extremely odd that I was recently sent an email ferom Accor Group asking me about my recent experience at their Sofitel in Minneapolis/Bloomington. Why bother?!... You apparently don't even own the hotel anymore.

Now you know. Wish I had!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
WestcoastE -

Thank for taking the time to review our property. Please accept my apologies that you were not informed by the previous management that the hotel was being sold and converted to the new Sheraton Bloomington as of October 31. This should have been shared with you when you made your reservation.

As you noted, there were many problems with the property, and for these I sincerely apologize. Things are often hectic on the day one company leaves and another moves in. And it was literally an overnight conversion with signs going up the night before, as well as the installation of the brand new Sheraton Sweet Sleeper beds and other branded items being turned over on very short notice.

One thing I can assure you of that there were not any associates of the Sheraton Bloomington who would have been out the front door of the hotel smoking and talking on cell phones. Neither current or previous management would ever tolerate such behavior.

As we move through a total renovation of the hotel It is my hope that you will come back again and experience what the hotel truly can be.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

Know that it isn't downtown so it takes a ride down there; I didnt plan this piece out myself and luckily had a ride with someone else. Essentially nowhere one can walk to close by. A decent property though, and the front desk staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: If you want to minimize sound from the restaurant area near the atrium, don't get a room facing...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
vadige -

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am sorry that the location of the Sheraton Bloomington was not where you thought it was. I was happy to read that you found our Front Office associates exceptionally helpful and friendly.

We look forward to your next stay with us.

Marc Faubert

Been to Sheraton Bloomington Hotel? Share your experiences!