“Big and relatively sterile property” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Doubletree by Hilton Bloomington - Minneapolis South

You added Doubletree by Hilton Bloomington - Minneapolis South to your Saves list
Doubletree by Hilton Bloomington - Minneapolis South
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   7800 Normandale Blvd, Bloomington, MN 55439   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Mall Of America Package!
Ranked #23 of 38 Hotels in Bloomington
Michigan
“Big and relatively sterile property”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

I stayed here when the Hilton Bloomington was booked up (my normal place).

The room itself was up to date and spacious. It was also remarkably quiet, especially given a full property with lots of kids running around.

The hotel common areas run from bland to sterile. The hotel takes up a large footprint and the rooms are in two tours. The parking lot is also sprawling and it can be quite a haul with your bags.

Visited the bar for an app and a couple of beers. The tap beer selection was solid, food selection were a bit odd (trying too hard to be trendy), and the service was good to above average.

I wouldn't go out of my way to stay here again, but would if needed.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor, and if traveling with others drop your bags at the lobby.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

We were pleasantly surprised by the room upgrade we received. Very spacious room. A little confused by the lack of a small fridge, but oh well. Has breakfast Saturday morning and could not believe that they would charge $15.99 for a souped up continental breakfast. Thank goodness for some complimentary tickets. Pool area had towels in the morning but by 7pm, none to be found. After an hour (in which both my husband and I asked front desk for towels), they finally brought towels (at 8pm). People flocked to get a towel like they had never seen one before. The fact that they showed a movie during the Saturday night pool time was fun! Great idea:). Not sure I would stay again....just the little things, like the lack of prompt customer service, made the stay a little frustrating.

• Stayed March 2013
Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

My family and I were staying overnight using HHonors points. During check-in, the hotel staff were courteous and professional however I have to agree that hotel does have a hospital feel and layout to it. When I checked in I asked the clerk behind the front the desk if the poolside room we requested was decent. I should have known when they looked at each other and said that the room has been partially updated. Once we got to the room (105), it appeared as though the garbage cans and maybe the wallpaper was newish. It was fine until bedtime when the poolside portion of the room reared its ugly head. Nothing like listening to a bunch of screaming kids in the pool and a barking dog 4 doors down until 10:30 at night. I had to stuff a towel under, and curtains alongside, the door in an attempt to muffle the sound coming in. I will not stay here again, and if you get a poolside room, ask for earplugs.

Room Tip: If you want sleep, don't stay by the pool.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

I stayed here for work and was a little concerned after reading many of the negative reviews but I enjoyed my stay here. Check in was friendly and efficient and my room, while small, was comfortable and updated. The color scheme is gray, black and white which seems to be trying for modern but could also be seen as cold. I didn't mind it though. The bathroom was quite small, with an updated mirror and floor but a oublic-restroom style toilet and an old tub.

Internet was included with my rate and it was a good connection and easy to connect. I had room service 2 nights and was actually surprised how good the food was. That service was quick and friendly. The passionfruit cake was amazing as was the pot roast and corn bread. I also had the breakfast buffet which was fine. Mainly the standards but there was lots of fresh fruit which I enjoyed. Service at breakfast was prompt and friendly. I also used the fitness center which was nicer and larger than most hotel centers.

Cleveland, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

This was an unexpected stop. We were just in Minneapolis as a short layover between flights but our airline messed up and caused us to miss our connection. They put us up in the Doubletree overnight.
I agree with "twoonaroadtrip"s description of it being very cold and stark. My husband mentioned that the lobby and hallways looked like a hospital. Not friendly and inviting. But the bed was GREAT and the room was pretty clean (bathroom could have been cleaner). We were very thankful that they let us have a late check-out at 2:00pm since our airline didn't have us flying out until 5:30. The airline also gave us ground transportation vouchers so we didn't utilize the hotel shuttle and cannot comment on it.
Check-in was quick and painless. The desk clerk was friendly and efficient. When we were trying to check out at 2:00 p.m. the next day there were a couple of busloads of people trying to check in for a convention of some sort. There was no doorman at his post and we had a hard time getting help to get a cab, since there was also no hotel shuttle in sight.
I can't comment on breakfast because we slept through it, having arrived so late the night before. We went to the restaurant for lunch but ended up leaving without ordering because my husband is NOT a gourmet kind of guy and everything on the menu is very high class gourmet stuff. No ordinary American food. We walked across the street to the TGI Friday's to eat. I'm sure the food in the hotel is delicious, but you'll pay plenty for it, if that's your style.
BTW, I'm choosing the "value" of the hotel as "excellent" only because it was FREE for us, due to the airline. :-)

Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Have been here two times before for a business trip, but now that it's remodeled, very cold, stark and not very comfortable. Restaurant wine and food were horrible and the rooms are uncomfortable and stark. No ameneties included. Bed & pillow were okay, but bed not made correctly and the foot came undone in the midle of the ight. Desk area is small with a very uncomfortable chair, no footstool for the extra chair, which was not comfortable and the bathroom sink was awful and the faucet splashed everywhere. Overall, not very clean, ice machines out-of-order and very noisy from the Interstates below. Shuttle did pick up from the airport, but it was dirty, old, ripped carpet and cigarette burns on the upholstery. Will suggest that our group of six not stay here again.

Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Kind and very well informed staff. Took care of us during our stay to ensure that we had the best possible experience. I was very pleased with how helpful everyone of the staff was. We had issues with connecting an x box to the tv set in our room. We called the service line and were walked through the set up. So nice to know that the staff knew what to do.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Doubletree by Hilton Bloomington - Minneapolis South? Share your experiences!