“Comfortable rooms, just average hotel experience” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Radisson Hotel Bloomington by Mall of America

You added Radisson Hotel Bloomington by Mall of America to your Saves list
Radisson Hotel Bloomington by Mall of America
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1700 E. American Blvd., Bloomington, MN 55425 (Formerly Grand Lodge & Waterpark)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Enjoy Savings of 15%
Ranked #15 of 38 Hotels in Bloomington
San Diego, California
“Comfortable rooms, just average hotel experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

The primary reasons to book this hotel is its proximity to the Mall of America and the airport, the waterpark next door (when it's open), and unique room design. The hotel's average price for a room is competitive to what other hotels near the Mall of America are charging but still feels overpriced for the region. I booked my room through Orbitz and got a lower level room (though pretty typical nowadays) but since I needed to leave early the next morning, being on the second floor meant a faster elevator ride in any case.

The other reviewers already mentioned the reasons why someone wouldn't want to stay here (or stay here again). My main complaint is with the staff. While I didn't encounter any obviously-rude staff, on the whole, the 3-4 front desk staff that I encountered over my stay are definitely short on customer service skills and general "people skills". The lack of chatter (even a lack of simple gestures like "hello" and "welcome"), the maybe 3-4 seconds of eye contact, the uninterested facial expressions during both check-in and check-out, and the overall body language were all characteristic of someone who clearly is there for a paycheck and not much else. Having a computer kiosk in place of the front desk would have been equivalent. Further customer service training is desperately needed at this hotel.

Rooms: I do like the layout of the rooms. I'm usually bouncing from standard hotel room to standard hotel room depending on my business schedule but it's refreshing to come across a room that just "looks different". I had the standard king room without any bunk beds or special features but the TV had a decent selection of channels, bathroom was clean and had bright lights, the shower had good water pressure and was plenty hot, the bed (although creaky) was comfortable - a little on the soft side. Wifi was speedy as well - a rarity nowadays.

Food: There appeared to be an on-site restaurant though I didn't eat there so I can't comment on the food served. There is a small coffeebar located in the lobby.

Waterpark/Arcade: Apparently only open on select days, depending on the local school schedule. Would be nice to make this abundantly clear on their main website (bold size-14 font maybe?)

Parking: Free, though it can be a bit of a walk for seniors. $10/day for indoor heated parking.

All in all, subtracted 2 stars for the lack-of-personality staff (one for lackadaisical check-in and one for apathetic check-out) but since the room was actually decent, I'll probably come back to see if the staff improves.

Room Tip: Non-waterpark side is very quiet. Hallways are long so if walking distance is an issue, get a room c...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
Homestead, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

First of all, they wouldn't give me any Club Carlson points since I booked through Hotels.com. Second, the front desk staff was rude and dismissive. The heat kept going up in our room until it was 80 degrees, with the AC on. I got little sleep and had to go down to the desk in the middle of the night. They told me to pull the thermostat off the wall and then put it back on. When asked why it got hotter when I turned the AC on, front desk clerk's snarky answer was "I don't know, I'm not an engineer." The clerk in the A.M. asked how the stay was and I told him. No reply, not even an apology. Cleanliness was OK, but expensive hotel, no free breakfast or pool. Have to pay $30 day per person for waterpark.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Santa Rosa Beach, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

I stayed with my three year old for five nights in May, 2012. We had the room with bunk beds and, while spacious enough, I couldn't help but feel robbed every single day. For one, make sure you check the parks schedule as during the week, since school was still in session, NO pool area was available, not even a small area of the park for hotel patrons. Breakfast was not included in our rate nor were water park passes (when it finally did open over the weekend) what's more, there is a flat entrance fee, no matter what your child's age so, for my 3 year old and I to go to the park was $60 a day in addition to our already very expensive room. After day #3 I had to call down to request housekeeping attend to my room as they had completely neglected to come during my stay...management sent a very scared looking maid up to my room with a supervisor-WHO DOES that?! It is not your patrons responsibility to deal with the process of training and reprimanding your staff! I felt horrible for her, I just wanted my darn garbage can emptied of smelly diapers and clean linens. It is worth noting, my bed had poorly fitting flat sheets instead of fitted so every night the bottom sheet ended up in a big ball and I ended up directly ON the mattress, gross. At any rate, calling the first time didn't seem to phase anyone anyhow, I had to call again the day after too. Other things to note, food inside the water park is not only disgusting but ridiculously priced. Check-in was slow as two girls sat chatting and messing with their computers for about 5 minutes before acknowledging me (very annoying after 22 hours on a plane with a toddler!). The shuttle to the MOA is nice but beware, they do NOT run the tightest of schedules, despite always being out to the stop 5 min early, we were left at the MOA twice, I watched the bus drive through and keep on going from just inside the mall both times. On the up side, I wrote the hotel and received something like an apology for the stay, though certainly no compensation or incentive to ever try to stay again-so I won't. My recommendation is to stay at a nearby hotel and visit the Water Park one day of you must. There is a MUCH better hotel that is actually CLOSER to the MOA with a great little pool area and its cheaper, see my other reviews.

• Stayed May 2012
Carlson Hotels C, Corporate at Radisson Hotel Bloomington by Mall of America, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear Guest,

We are sorry to read that your stay with us in many aspects, did not meet your expectations.

Aside from offering rates directly at the water park, we do offer packages through our website or 800 reservation center that include passes with the room rate.

We will be using your feedback with the different areas you mentioned (housekeeping, front desk, shuttle) as a tool to fine tune our daily operations. Comments such as yours are extremely helpful in pointing out areas we can improve guest satisfaction.

If you would like to discuss your experience more in depth, we encourage you to contact our Corporate Customer Care department at 1-800-967-9182.

Thank you for submitting your review.
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Stayed here before and stayed again, very pleased again. Dennis, the airport/mall shuttle driver is very friendly and helpful in suggesting local attractions and restaurants, especially ones that are a great deal! Just enjoying our getaway"

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
stephenrbarr, Rooms Division Manager at Radisson Hotel Bloomington by Mall of America, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Dear Guestrelations0370,

Thank you for recently staying with us at the Radisson Bloomington by Mall of America as well as taking the time to share your experience. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your time in Bloomington and Dennis was able to assist you with finding some places to visit during your stay. Dennis is a shining exampled of the dedicated team we are fortunate to have at the Radisson Bloomington. On behalf of the entire staff, we appreciate your repeat business and look forward to having you stay with us again when your travels bring you back to the Bloomington Area!

Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I wish I could write a more comprehensive review, but I was a guest at the Radisson courtesy of the fine folks at Delta. We were in at 11 and out at 8. No issues at all. The room was big, very clean, looked almost new, and was very nice. Can't comment on value for money, as we had vouchers from the airline. It was set up for family travel - big king bed, bunkbeds, microwave and mini fridge. The one thing I would have liked would have been water and snacks available in the room - I'm positive there were vending machines, but at midnight I didn't want to drag my baby around the hallways looking for one.

Room Tip: The hallways are really long - if you have any mobility challenges it would be super important to be...
Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear Hollyg2,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at the Radisson Bloomington by Mall of America. While i'm sorry to hear that you had some inconveniences during your recent travel, I'm glad to hear that your stay at the Radisson was comfortable and enjoyable. We hope the next time your travels bring you to Bloomington, MN you will have more time to enjoy what the area has to offer. Happy Holidays!

Saint Paul, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

As a reward for a summer of crazy working, we rewarded our kids with a night at the nearby Radisson so they could enjoy the water park. It was lots of fun and we all enjoyed it, especially the hours when it was only open to hotel guests. The front desk was welcoming when two of us showed up later and had no problems with a half hour late check out so we could maximize our water park time.

The bunk beds for the kids unfortunately were uncomfortable. The mattresses were flimsy, the sheets didn't fit quite right and slipped off at night and the comforter barely covered them. Another time, we would have them supply different bedding for the kids; better too large than too small.

It was great though to have one room that could handle our family of six.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear MKBStpaul,

Thank you for recently staying with us and taking the time to share your recent experience. I'm glad to hear that you and your family were able to have an enjoyable stay and have fun in the water park. I apologize for the issues you experienced with the comfort of the bunk beds. I will share your experience with our staff so we may address the issue. On behalf of all of our staff the Radisson Bloomington we appreciate that you chose use as a destiantion for your family getaway and hope to have you stay with us again soon!

San Antonio, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

This is a really nice hotel with large rooms and nice decor. The bad was finding roaches within an hour of check-in. Also the water park only open during weekend so that means no pool and the entrance cost looks high. There was no signage about any of it to help guest. Also the business center computers had no access to internet. When informing the front desk they said it would get fixed. Several hours later and another call the same thing....they could have said the person who would fix it was gone for the day. Not a good experience.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
stephenrbarr, Manager at Radisson Hotel Bloomington by Mall of America, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Dear Traveler,

Thank you for recently staying at the Radisson Hotel Bloomington by Mall of America. On behalf of our entire team i apologize for the problems you experienced with your room as well as the on-site facilities. I understand how your recent experience has left you with a negative impression of our hotel and the servicese we offer. I will make sure to share your exprience with our team so we may continue to fine tune the servcies we provide to our guests. Please done hesitate to contact me should you want to discuss your recent expereince further as we are committed to ensureing our guests have an enjoyable experience at our hotel and would love to have the opprutunity to make it right. Thank you again for staying with us during your recent visit to the Bloomington area.

Rooms Division Manager

Been to Radisson Hotel Bloomington by Mall of America? Share your experiences!