“Pros and cons, but mostly pros” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Radisson Hotel Bloomington by Mall of America

You added Radisson Hotel Bloomington by Mall of America to your Saves list
Radisson Hotel Bloomington by Mall of America
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1700 E. American Blvd., Bloomington, MN 55425 (Formerly Grand Lodge & Waterpark)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Enjoy Savings of 15%
Ranked #17 of 38 Hotels in Bloomington
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Pros and cons, but mostly pros”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

Pros

Very nice space. We were surprised by how modern and well-kept the hotel was. The rooms were very nice and comfortable (nice color and furnishings), with wonderfully comfortable beds, large 42-inch TVs right across form the bed, mini-fridge and microwave and safe, and just a nice overall seating arrangement. Also, the water park and arcade are connected by a very small hallway, so you don’t have to go far from your room to the water park or arcade.

Proximity. In warmer weather the ambitious can walk the 15 minutes to Mall of America, otherwise it’s an easy 3-minute drive. You are 10 minutes from downtown Minneapolis or Saint Paul, and for those flying in, just one exit from the airport. You are pretty much 10 minutes from anything you need (beaches, nightlife, restaurants, professional and college sporting events, etc.) and maybe 15 minutes from other attractions, like Valley Fair and Mystic Lake Casino. Driving in MN is a breeze, which makes it even easier.

Service staff. We had free passes to the water park, and when we checked in I double-checked that the passes would be fine for a Saturday (a black-out day). The manager-type person kept whispering in the ear of the person helping “I’m 99.9 percent sure these are no good on black-out dates, I’m almost positive …” (though he never addressed me, as if I couldn’t hear him). The staff member tried calling to the park without success so he walked the 30 yards with me and asked the staff at the park directly and got it resolved. Most staff would just put the problem back on you and make you sort it out (the manager sure would have), but he took it upon himself to help us out and get it resolved. Nice.

Kiddie gambling. This arcade is one of those gaming rooms that dispense tickets you trade in (these games make grown-ups, and kids, lose their minds). They had a lot of game types, and save for a few ski-ball lanes, they were all mostly working (we got hosed on maybe two games that either ate a token or didn’t dispense tickets). $20 will buy you 90 tokens, and it bought us about 75 minutes of our kids being well occupied. Most impressive, the ‘kid’ working solo in the arcade was awesome. It was a zoo, and one of the ticket counters wasn’t working, parents were demanding that some games didn’t dispense the right amount of tickets, kids and parents clamored at the desk to redeem their tickets for prizes, the phone was ringing constantly and this kid was calm and helpful through it all. Everything just bounced off him and his first response was always one of helpfulness. Wow.

Food. We ordered room service from Split Rock (T-bone steak, steak and blue cheese salad, hamburger from the kids menu, and an appetizer) and it came in 20 minutes, was very hearty, and looked and tasted amazing. If you can’t get out for dinner you will be in good hands with the on-site restaurant. We also had a snack at the snack place in the water park, which was average as expected, but it hit the spot just the same.

Cons.

Disconnected. I think the water park, arcade, and hotel all work independently, which may make sense as a business, but as a consumer you just want a nice, consistent, smooth experience. I saw people getting turned away at the water park so that they had to walk back to the hotel (a meager 30 yards, but still) and get the park wrist bands from the hotel (since I think they bought the ‘water park’ bundle with their hotel reservation), and that kind of confusion shouldn’t be placed on the consumer. The water park should be able to pull up that info and give them a wrist band. Also, there was an uncomfortable moment when the person at the water park desk was helping me and the hotel reception staff figure out the deal with me free passes when she (water park staff) gently scolded him to update their hotel website to reflect the proper terms related to the water park restrictions (I’m sure he has no clue what goes into the hotel’s website management, so seemed like a stupid argument at the time). I’m sure these little moments happen all of the time, and consumers get passed back and forth, and that should never happen.

The little things. I can tell when a hotel is ‘really’ nice because they address those little things. For example, after the water park we all took showers when back in our room, and I was the last one in and noticed a huge puddle of water on the floor and just when I was about to scream at my kids for making a mess of the place I noticed mildew all along the base of the tube and wall, so clearly this happens all of the time and it’s a flaw that nobody cares to address. So that the mildew, and underlying structural issues, continue, it’s clear that they don’t sweat the small stuff. Not a huge deal, but shows they want to be good, not great.

Bunk beds. So, the bunk beds were a HUGE hit with our kids (HUGE), but wow, those things were noisy/squeaky. There was too much play between the bed and the wall, so it was squeaking with every movement. After 30 minutes of this we had our two kids just sleep with us in the king-sized bed. I do think it was primarily the top bunk, but that’s the most fun bunk, and the noise made it too much for any of us.

Styrofoam. In the morning we grabbed a decent cup of coffee from the café in the lobby and they served us with Styrofoam cups. Who uses these cups anymore? With everything else in the hotel so nice, and with recyclable coffee cups in the rooms, I was surprised to see these in the main café. Plus after I put cream in my coffee and tried to replace the lid I nearly collapsed the entire cup. Styrofoam is horrible for many reasons, and it would be great for the Radisson to stop using it.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
RadissonMoaGM, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Bloomington by Mall of America, responded to this review, March 20, 2012
We appreciate taking the time to provide such a detailed review from your recent trip to our hotel and water park. I really enjoyed reading about the Pros and equally happy reading the Cons as well.

I greatly appreciate the comments about the bathroom floors and I'll be sure to address this to see what we can do. Same goes for the use of styrofoam as we definitely want to do our part to preserve our planet. Additionally the noisy bunkbeds are being addressed as we have found a solution to help us get rid of the squeaky noises.

Lastly, the water park and hotel are owned and operated by the same team. I fully recognize the need to close the communication gap and can understand why you felt as though it was disconnected from the rest of the hotel. We have already made excellent improvements including the addition of an activities director assigned to carry out daily events and activies for family and children.

Thanks again for your thoughtful and detailed review, I appreciate you sharing with the travel community. If I can ever be of service to you in the future, I welcome your call.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
Urbandale, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2012

Service - Front desk was helpful and friendly. I called down to the restaurant to order a pizza and had a hard time getting a hold of someone. I had to call three times before someone picked up the phone and that's after I called the front desk for help.
Value - I thought the rooms were expense for what you got. My husband and I got a king bed, standard room for $149 one night and $179 the second night. My brother and his wife got a room with a Queen bed and bunk beds for their kids. Their room rates were the same price and we booked them at the same time.
Sleep Quality - The pillows are horrible...bring your own if you can. The bed was good. I thought all rooms had the Sleep Number beds, but we didn't have one. My brother's room had one though and he seemed to really like it. We were woken up each morning around 7:30 am by screaming kids or banging noises from the next room. When we went to bed around 11:00 pm, you could still hear kids running down the hallways yelling at each other.
Cleanliness - There was a water stain on the ceiling by our bed, some paint was coming off the ceiling in the bathroom and one of the tiles in the bathroom was coming off. Otherwise, the rooms were pretty clean.
Location - Loved the location - Right off the Interstate and right by the mall. We thought it was easy to find too. The parking is limited and is open to those attending the park as well. We had to park all the way at the back of the hotel and the only entrance is at the front of the hotel. We didn't use the underground parking though, but is available at a cost.
Rooms - You could hear almost everything outside of the room like mentioned above.
Other - There are not enough elevators for the traffic of people coming in and out of the hotel. Long wait time for the hotel and impatient people. There are spa services available on the second floor. I thought they had reasonable prices and lots of services available. We checked out on Sunday and weren't able to find a cart to haul our stuff to the car. From what I remember seeing, there were a limited amount available.
Overall, my husband and I thought it was average.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recent review about our hotel. We're in our spring break season so I can certainly understand some of your concerns especially those related to higher prices and value. I apologize that we didn't exceed all of your expectations and I appreciate your compliments as well. Your review is very fair and accurate, allowing us to continue to improve in specific areas throughout the hotel and park. The Radisson and Water Park of America is a unique hotel given our location however we still run some very good specials virtualy every month. If you plan on returning to the hotel for another visit please don't hesitate to contact me directly as I would be happy to assist you with the best deal possible. Thanks again for your feedback!
Rice Lake, WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

This is our 'go-to' hotel for heading out of town. We love the underground parking option for our diesel Jetta while we get away from the Wisconsin winters. With two small kids we love the very friendly and convenient shuttle to the airport and coming home to a clean, warm, dry car that doesn't need to be shoveled out (and we know will start) before we head out for the 3 hour drive home. Clean, spacious rooms. Good toiletries. Friendly staff and the new coffee kioske hits the spot.

Oxford, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012

This trip wasn't what I was expecting. I wish I had read more reviews prior to booking. First off I did not realize the waterpark was not included. We live near the Dells so I'm used to the price being inclusive. Would have been nice if the website was more clear about this at booking. I did an advanced booking purchase so there was no chance to change or cancel either. It was pretty expensive for just the room.
Check in was slow and the staff was unhelpful. There was a problem with my reservation that I was not made aware of till I tried to check in. The room was bigger than I expected, and comfortable. Internet service did not work in the room however. There were kids running the halls till around 11:30 pm. Check out was equally impersonal even though it wasn't busy. The only friendly and helpful person we encountered was the shuttle bus driver.

minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

We booked this hotel on Priceline and really enjoyed our 1 night stay. We had stayed here before but it had been 5 years so I figured it would start to show it's age. Well it didn't at all.
The lobby is beautiful with a real fireplace buring with large windows overlooking the waterpark.
We didn't do the waterpark but it looked like fun.

Our room was on the 7th floor. The hallway's are really well kept and the carpet is in really good shape. We got to our room and were so impressed. They rooms are very large, with a couch, desk, extra sink outside the bathroom, fridge and microwave. Large windows that for our view overlooked the airport/waterpark which was a nice view at night. The bathroom was spotless. Our room itself could not have been any nicer or cleaner. The sleep number beds are the greatest as we have one at home and love it. Very nice sheets and blankets, overall I slept great.

We had called for a 4:30 AM taxi to take us to the airport the next morning. The front desk called at 4:30 and said they would take us in their shuttle early. We thought that was great.

Overall I would stay here again in a heartbeat. Great all the way arond!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
RadissonMoaGM, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Bloomington by Mall of America, responded to this review, February 25, 2012
I appreciate you coming back to see us and very happy to hear that we have kept it up after 5 years. We're still one of the newest hotels in the area and because the hotel was so well built, it really helps us to keep it looking good for our guests. We burn alot of wood but it's well worth it knowing how appreciated it is. Please don't wait 5 years to come back and see us, and don't hesitate to contact me if I can be of service. Thank you!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

We had a blast at the waterpark connected to this hotel. Our kids loved the rides and features. It is very similar to a great wolf lodge but with nicer, less kitschy decor. There are two hours in the morning when the waterpark is for hotel guests only, much less crowded. Parking is tricky right around four, check-in.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
I really appreciate your positive review about your stay with us. I also appreciate the advice you offer for other viewers which is always helpful. I agree parking can get overwhelming in the afternoon, especially on weekends. If you ever plan a return visit please let me know and I'll be sure you receive underground parking. Thanks again for the great scores!
Woodridge, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

Incredibly overpriced for the quality of hotel.

But you're there for a water park experience. Expect massive quantities of tiny kids wandering halls, lobbies, and packed elevators - and teenagers pda-ing in various form of swimwear.

TV and phone did not work in a $400/night suite. They blamed it on the cable company. Rather lame attempt to fix it.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your experience about your stay. I hope you'll accept my sincerest apologies for not meeting your expectations, especially as it relates to price/value. The mild winter has definitely increased the demand for us on the weekends which drives up the prices. We always try to promote the best deals available but I certainly understand that some weekends can get quite spendy. I hope you'll consider contacting me directly in the event that you'd like to try us again. I would be more than happy to assist you with a stay that and I will personally guarantee it to be more enjoyable. Thank you!

Been to Radisson Hotel Bloomington by Mall of America? Share your experiences!