“BEWARE, noisy construction ruins nice hotel” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 38 Hotels in Bloomington
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersBronze level
Clarkston, Michigan
“BEWARE, noisy construction ruins nice hotel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

Beware, there is horrific construction noise from a spa being built in this hotel. The following is not an exaggeration: on July 3, a constant, very loud jackhammer noise made it impossible to hear anything else in my room from 10 am until 3:30 pm.

This was highly unpleasant and caused a security problem: three times, hotel staff entered my room without permission, because I literally could not hear them knocking. Oh, and then there's this - the door that adjoins the room next door was left UNLOCKED, which I did not discover until the day after I arrived, when someone entered the room next door. The change in air pressure caused the adjoining door within my room to suddenly pop open. From now on, I am always going to check hotel room adjoining doors - but I think it's reasonable to expect that the maids should routinely lock them when a guest checks out. Scary.

Which brings me to this....I am traveling with my adult son who is autistic and we have separate rooms. Because of his disability, I requested adjoining rooms when making the reservation, and asked for them again at check in. Nope, no adjoining rooms available. In the entire hotel. When I made the reservation, I asked for one king room and one with two queens, but we really didn't care what we got so long as there was an adjoining door between them. Anyhow, this didn't happen and they instead put him in a room across the hall. But you see, this was why I could not double lock the doors - He needed to have access to my room. Which is why three different staff members were able to enter my room unexpectedly and without permission when the jackhammer/drilling went on for over five hours on July 3 and I couldn't hear them knocking. If we'd had adjoining rooms then the unlocked adjoining door would have been annoying, yes, but not scary like it was.

By the way, if a hotel manager reads this, I am not angling for a freebie or an apology. I did get a $50 room credit after I complained about the terrible noise, about four hours after it started. I also got a very good rate for our two rooms in the first place. But still, July 3 frankly was a pretty bad day.

Now, for the hotel itself, which is where I can start giving some real compliments. This hotel is wonderfully convenient to the Mall of America. During winter, this would be a great place to stay because it is directly attached to the mall. I know I complained about security and my concerns are real, but I have to point out that the elevator key-card system helps to keep non-guests out of the hotel, which I liked. Room service is fast and not too expensive - I ordered a burger and fries one night and both were absolutely delicious. The beds are very comfortable and the pillows are wonderful. Check-in was quick and easy. For the most part, staff have been friendly and professional, and the ones who entered my room uninvited were sincerely apologetic (actually, I felt bad for them - it was the noise that caused the problem and I have a feeling that this happens to other guests too.)

To sum up: ONCE THE CONSTRUCTION IS OVER, this will be a very good hotel to stay at when visiting the Mall of America. But for now? Beware. Ask questions about the construction noise before you commit to staying here. If you've uncertain, stay elsewhere until after the construction is done. You'll save yourself a lot of stress.

Room Tip: Stay on a high floor to reduce construction noise. We stayed on sixth floor and the racket was terr...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Harry G, General Manager at Radisson Blu Mall of America, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide a review of your recent stay with us. Our staff work very hard to accommodate all of our guest's requests. However, we unfortunately are unable to guarantee connecting rooms will be available as the occupancy increases.

We certainly understand the importance of a quiet environment and apologize for the disturbance from the spa construction. Hopefully during your next visit you will be able to relax in the spa! We want to thank you for your business and look forward to the next time you're in the area so we may exceed your expectations!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
Carmichael, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

This is a beautiful facility which has been open for about a year. It is clear they are working the bugs out. The service, once we got out of the lobby, was exceptional. However, the front lobby was built for elegance and doesn't serve well when hoardes of people are checking in. The rooms are beautiful but don't seem to be designed for families. We did love that the mall was a short walk away.

Room Tip: Get up away from the lower floors......
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

This hotel is connected directly to the Mall of America, via a 2nd floor skywalk or just across the street on that level, so the location couldn't be any better regarding the MOA.

I used the valet to park my rental car, but there are also easy transportation option via the light rail and by shuttle from the airport.

The hotel itself is very modern in design, yet not cold. I had booked through my credit card, and when we got to our room, it had one bed instead of two that I had booked. I called downstairs, and they checked availability and found a room. A bellman came to help us move - we not only had our luggage, but the hotel had send a hospitality plate and bottle of wine, some wine glasses, etc, so we really needed the help. The original room was very sleek and modern, with black curtains and sparkly marble floors. The room we ended up in wasn't as "edgy," but was nice nonetheless. There's a flat screen on the wall, beneath which was a built-in luggage stand. The closet was a bit awkward, with two sliding doors situated in such a way that you could access only one side of the closet at a time. The doors were mirrors, and it's nice to have a full-length mirror to check before going out.

The bathroom was nicely decorated, but there was very little room around the vessel sink for all the products I seem to travel with. With 2 queen beds, it's possible 4 people would be sharing that room, which would really create a space crunch in the bathroom. A shelf under the swing-out magnifying mirror would have gone a long way to providing some extra shelf space.

The shower is a rain-shower head type. It could be a personal preference, but I'd like to have had an option for a removable shower head as well. The pressure was decent, but I'm short, so by the time the water reaches me, it's a light drizzle rather than a thunderstorm. A larger area to hold stuff inside the shower would have been nice. And I wish hotels could include a hook or small bar in showers to hold washcloths.

There's a safe big enough for a laptop and other items, and plenty of easily-reachable electric outlets, including a couple which are convenient for bedside phone plugging-in.

Almost all the interface is paperless - even the room-service menu is available only on the television via the hotel's info displayed there. I found that to be no problem.I was on the club level, and the club was very nice, with a view of the downtown skyline, televisions, coffee and other drinks. The breakfast and evening reception food was nicely displayed, with a good variety.

All the staff with whom I interacted were very professional and friendly, and were able to address any questions or issues I had. The hotel has a "one-touch" number on their phone, where pretty much anything you need can be handled, except for room service, which has its own dedicated line.

Although the hotel seemed very busy, I never had to wait for an elevator. All hotel access is via your room key, which is a nice feature in a hotel connected to the very busy MOA.

If I return to Minneapolis and want to be in the MOA area, I will look no further than the Radisson Blu.

Room Tip: A higher floor will give you a better view. Also, the corridors are very long - if you want to be aw...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014 via mobile

Was really disappointed. The room still had the previous occupants occupants clothes still in the closet. The extra linens had dead bugs in the plastic case. It was well known that we had two children with us and were given a room with no bathtub. In the morning I went down to ask about the breakfast provided and was told that I was too late, it is for traveling businessmen. It is available from 5 til 6 in the morning and the items consist of energy bars and juice. Really? Also I could not find the usual book of information at the hotel, I was looking to find where the pool was. I called the front desk and was told they get this call all the time and that they are a "paper free" hotel and have to turn on the t.v. To see info. Really?...as I was on the phone I was staring at an overpriced breakfast menu printed on paper, a complete satisfaction card printed on paper, magazines printed on paper. So it appeared that they want to appeal to the business traveler, but they are attached to the Mall of America, so I brought my family. Huge disappointment, oh and no hot tub, and the tile around the pool is very slippery, witnessed 4 falls in the half hour I was there.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
We appreciate you taking the time to review our property during your recent stay. However, we were displeased to hear of your concerns regarding the cleanliness of your room upon arrival and we wish to apologize for these concerns.

Our staff work very hard to accommodate any and all requests. For your next visit, please do not hesitate to request a guestroom with a bathtub and our staff will do their best to fulfill that request. Also be sure to check out our bed and breakfast package!
Omaha, Nebraska
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

I was so excited to stay here. I've been looking forward to it for a whole year. The convenient location to the Mall of America is unbeatable. I know there are plenty of other hotels around but being able to just walk down a hall and be there is fabulous. However, we arrived at 4:15 p.m. - check in time is 3:00 - and our room was not ready. There were so many people there to check in and none of us had rooms ready. I don't understand this. Now, I have to admit, I had read several reviews that said they had this problem - but those reviews were old. I thought certainly they had gotten their act together by now. I was wrong. It is very frustrating to drive six hours (leaving later to be sure to arrive after check-in) and not have a room.

It's also not very family-friendly. I do find it odd that the only hotel directly attached to a family destination (Nickelodeon Universe, Sea Life Aquarium, shopping) is so family UN-friendly. There was no bathtub (which is a big deal when you have a toddler), no continental breakfast, no perks. For $200 a night, I would expect a few perks. On the second day, when we came back from shopping, I was surprised that our room was already cleaned. But, once I got into the bathroom, I realized they did not bring us any new towels, washcloths or hand towels. We also didn't get any additional shampoo, conditioner, etc. Sigh.

Other than that, it was clean, quiet and, again, convenient. But, I don't think we'll stay there again unless they change their check-in policy. How frustrating for the front desk clerks to have to tell each and every customer their room isn't ready. It's certainly frustrating for the customers. Also, if they added a continental breakfast (like almost every other hotel in the area with cheaper prices and bigger rooms), we would stay again. Overall, I'm sad that I made such a poor decision to pay the money to stay there.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Harry G, General Manager at Radisson Blu Mall of America, responded to this review, July 3, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We value your feedback and the opportunity it gives us to address your concerns. We apologize for the challenge you experienced with your arrival. Please be assured that we have addressed the situation with our laundry company regarding the delayed linen delivery that day. This delay created a challenge for our housekeepers to complete their rooms. We are confident that the challenge you experienced has been resolved and that when you return you will have the experience you should expect from a Radisson Blu Hotel.
Freeman, South Dakota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

I first stayed here the first week it opened. The hotel was beautiful and modern. Great for business travelers, solo travelers, and couples because of the design. Good for families because it's connected to the MOA. The espresso machine in the room is great and something you don't see many places. It was nice to have that in my room in the morning. Unfortunately, the hotel rooms aren't entirely accommodating for families with more than one child. Rollaway beds can be an issue due to small rooms. In my opinion, this hotel works better with small families than with large ones. But...the salt water pool can make up for that...if you're into that kind of thing. Overall, a wonderful hotel but there have been some issues with requests for me. I guess it really depends on who you're traveling with. If I'd stayed there alone, I may have given it 5 stars.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Winnipeg, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

Disappointing stay. For a hotel that is so new and up-to-date, its really too late to call it growing pains. Check-in was a gong show with rooms not ready for many of the guests, even at 4 in the afternoon! The whole scene reminded of those Caribbean resorts where there are tons of people and suitcases lining the doorway waiting to get into their room. At least in the Caribbean they hand you fancy umbrella drinks and cool towels to freshen up. Here we got 2 free drink tickets to take up to the overpriced bar while we waited. We stayed at the very far end on the 7th floor and with maid service working very late into the afternoon, it was a little like "frogger" meandering through all the maid service carts. Food trays lined the hallways for almost 12 hours with dried up food items and dried up chicken bones sitting there for hours. There was no coffee in the room resulting in us spending $8.00 for coffee from the restaurant. Eight Dollar Coffee. Unbelievable. We had no idea that the guest services menu was on the tv. We never turn on the tv - how were we to know that it held information? Anyway, on the plus side, every employee that we came across possessed very impressive customer service skills. The rooms were comfortable and clean. And the restaurant, although pricey, served the most amazing breakfast. Overall, I am very glad we "pricelined" this hotel as opposed to spending top rate. To be honest, for all of the hotel options in this city, there's no reason to stay here. Some of the 2 star hotel choices are even better than this one. Sad really.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Harry G, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Mall of America, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We apologize for the delay with check in and appreciate your patience. Unfortunately, delays may occur when the hotel becomes sold out and for that we apologize for any inconveniences.

We are glad you enjoyed the guestrooms as well as the food in FireLake and found our staff to be professional and friendly. We thank you for your business and look forward to welcoming you back the next time you're in the area.

Been to Radisson Blu Mall of America? Share your experiences!