“Flight cancellation brought us to this hotel...” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book early and Save 15%
Ranked #17 of 38 Hotels in Bloomington
Marshalltown
“Flight cancellation brought us to this hotel...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

Due to a flight cancellation, we had to fly into Minneapolis/St. Paul the night before our scheduled flight to Mexico. We were able to book a room at this hotel at the last minute and get a great rate. The hotel shuttle driver, Steve, was awesome! He picked us up late night at the airport in the middle of a spring blizzard! The weather and roads were terrible, but Steve delivered us safely to the hotel! Thank you Steve! Check-in was swift and efficient. Our room was a Standard King Room. Overall, room was very small and a little difficult to maneuver around as there is not much room between end of bed, desk and credenza. Keep the bathroom light on at night if you need to get up or you might trip!! Tub/toilet room is also very small--room for 1 only! Sink is outside and also has a very small vanity area. Despite the smallness of the room/bathroom--the room was very clean and certainly met our needs for the short time we were there--less than 10 hours!
Breakfast was good the next morning. Lots of selection, including waffles and breakfast sandwiches.
Hotel shuttle to the airport was quick and efficient.
Would definitely consider another pre-flight stay at this hotel should the need arise!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

Excellent staff! From front desk to housekeeping. Bartender Shawn made the night by being attentive, knowledgable and relaxed! The bar experience felt as comfortable as a small local establishment. The server Janis was friendly and helpful. Love this hotel. Definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014
Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

This was by far the WORST Country Inn and Suites I've stayed in. Check in was extremely slow, I was NOT recognized as a Club Carlson member, I did NOT receive a welcome gift, I did NOT get my upgrade or any explanation as to why not. My room smelled SO bad of room freshener that I had to keep my window open...and it was 20 degrees outside, but could not stand the sickening smell. The bed was okay, but pillows were very uncomfortable. I tried every one and still couldn't find one that didn't make my neck hurt. The worst thing was that the shower head dripped water all night long...drip, drip, drip...enough to drive a person crazy! I shut the bathroom door and turned on the fan to drown out the sound. In the hallway, a part of the ceiling had fallen down so there was debris and a pail you had to walk around, felt like a one star hotel at best. The hotel was busy and everytime I went to the desk to complain, there was a line of people so just decided I would NEVER EVER go to this hotel again!

Room Tip: Go to the Country Inn and Suites by the Mall of America, much nicer hotel
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
GoPack22, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites Bloomington West, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
We apologize for the disappointing service you received from our staff. Our team works hard to make sure our guests are comfortable and receive our best service. I apologize that you were not recognized as a Club Carlson member and did not receive your welcome amenity. I also apologize for the strong air freshener smell, the dripping of the faucet, and the pillows. I assure you I will speak with each department to ensure these issues are fixed so this doesn't happen in the future. Thank you again for your feedback.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

We chose this hotel based on price and location. Here are the pros and cons

Pros:
Clean room
Large tv
Fridge and microwave
24-hour shuttle for 3-mile radius and MOA and Airport (nice to have a few drinks at Cowboy Jacks and not worry about a cab)
Large continental breakfast

Cons:
Small room
Our drawer was missing on dresser
The shuttle was way behind schedule so we had to use our own vehicle to make the reservations
The breakfast was very busy and it seemed like the workers had a very hard time keeping up.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Jackson, Michigan, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

I wanted to like this hotel. It is one of the higer-rated Carlson properties in the MSP area, and I stay at Country Inn & Suites fairly often. However, the room we were given was small, barely enough room for the two queen beds and our luggage. I can't imagine 4 people trying to fit into this room. The bathroom was tiny, barely enough room to change clothes without dropping something in the toilet. The sink was outside the bathroom, but the room was so small there was nowhere to hang a hand towel. The air conditioner fan didn't work right and made odd noises all night long. The coffee maker didn't have the right carafe, so the basket overflowed and spilled coffee all over the dresser. The comforter on one bed had bodily fluid stains on it. Our keys stopped working the second day of our stay. And then stopped working again the next morning, and we weren't the only ones who had this problem as others were at the front desk with the same problem. There was a wedding reception going on below our room with loud music past 11 PM. As Club Carlson Gold, I'm entitled to late checkout but when I asked was told the "best" they could do is an hour late because they wanted to be able to sell the room to someone else.

One of these issues, or even a combination of two or three of them, wouldn't be a big deal. But all of them together shows a consistent lack of regard for their customers, and I don't think they live up to the Country Inn & Suites standards. If this hotel was in an area with little competition I would be moderately satisfied. But I don't see a reason to stay here again considering the many other options available in this area.

I will say that the breakfast offered here was excellent, well above average and even better than most other Country Inn & Suites I've stayed at.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Newton, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

This particular Country Inn and Suites is showing signs of age and need of updates. Worn carpets and need of paint. Had Plumbing issues, which staff said happens often....My room had a small bath and a smaller room then what I'm normally accustomed for a CI&S. Have allergies but normally not a big deal - Feather pillows apparently had dust mites. So swamped out for foam pillows. Clean feather pillows normally don't bother. Staff there is very friendly and helpful. Hot breakfast was very good. Has a restaurant inside with a bar and has a good selection to choose from. Room at this season was just under $100 a night. I've stayed at other hotels that were cleaner, better regarding the room accommodations and overall appearance. Stayed 3 nights on business.

Room Tip: Ask to look at the room before you decide to stay here.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Grand Prairie
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

This was my second stay at this hotel. Everything--from the shuttle ride from the airport, to check in, to the cleanliness and comfort of the room, to the hot breakfast--was great! A yearly winter trip to MN to visit family and friends is a tradition of mine, and the Country Inn and Suites in West Bloomington has become part of it.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo

Been to Country Inn & Suites Bloomington West? Share your experiences!