“BEST customer service - hands down” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book early and Save 15%
Ranked #14 of 38 Hotels in Bloomington
Jacksonville, Florida, United States
“BEST customer service - hands down”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

When I travel for business, my top priority is not the "type" of room I stay in or how large and fancy the facility is. I care about the comfort of the bed, the options available for food, and the customer service I receive.

I have stayed at this property a number of times over the past several years, but one of my most recent stays was such that I thought it warranted a proper review.

I arrived on a Sunday afternoon and was greeted with great enthusiasm, as usual. However, having previously informed several members of the staff that at the end of this business week, my daughter would be joining me from Florida, I received an extra bit of enthusiasm, "I'm so excited to finally meet your daughter!". The staff upgraded my room to allow for extra comfort, which I appreciated, and when I entered my room, was greeted with a "welcome bag", including snacks and bottled water.

The business week progressed as usual. I ate dinner every evening at the 5120 Restaurant / Onyx Bar and was not disappointed. If you're hungry and appreciate great food, you will thank me after trying any number of items on the menu. There is a dish, not on the menu, that I highly recommend. Tripper, the Chef, makes amazing meals, but his seared Ahi tuna atop a generous bed of garlic and parmesan risotto is my meal of choice. Delectable does not begin to describe it. The bar and restaurant staff affectionately refer to it as the "TJ Special", named for me. :)

The bar staff; Sean, Ben and Jen (manager), are not only quick to serve, but they offer every drink with a smile, a mention of your name, and in most cases, a conversation. This is why I stay at the hotel. I travel alone, but never feel far from home with the staff of this establishment. They welcome every traveler with the same enthusiasm and a goal to create a comfortable environment and great experience. The clientele consists largely of repeat customers, regular business travelers. I sit at the bar and have conversations with individuals I met at this very spot years ago. The fact that we all continue to call the Country Inn & Suites Bloomington West our home away from home speaks volumes.

Fast forward to Thursday evening, when my daughter arrives from Florida for a weekend visit and mom/daughter time, before we return home Sunday. The shuttle picked her up from the airport and per my request, delivered her to my office. They kept her bags and assured her they would be in her room waiting when she returned, which of course they were.

That evening, when we returned to the hotel, the entire staff from the front desk, bar and restaurant, greeted her with hugs, smiles, handshakes, and excitement. She felt like a little celebrity! Everyone was so kind and welcoming to her, that she immediately understood the reason I have stayed there for so long. To my delighted surprise, Ben, fabulous bartender and friend, recommended that we all go out for a night on the town. Not only did we do so, but several employees came along, as well as two other regular business travelers. We had an absolute blast. The night auditor was kind enough to arrange a pick up for us later that evening, so that none of us had to drive or brave the blizzard that came later that evening. An effort very much appreciated.

This outstanding evening was followed by the highlight of the trip, for my daughter. She wanted to snowboard, but since I wasn't able to join her, I asked the Chef, my friend Tripper, if he would do so. Having closed the restaurant the evening prior and expected at work at 3:00 this day, I was surprised when he gave me a resounding "Yes!"

Tripper spent the morning and early afternoon with my inexperienced snowboarder, and not only kept her company while I watched and videotaped, but gave her instruction, lots of encouragement, and plenty of laughs. The day would not have been as memorable for my daughter, had Tripper not been kind enough to join. He even got her lift ticket comped and paid for her rental board!

To close out the weekend, on Saturday evening there was a wedding in the restaurant / atrium / bar, and it was closed to guests of the hotel. Knowing it was our last evening, Sean, amazing bartender and friend, spotted us entering the lobby after a day out, and motioned to us to sit at the outside of the bar and enjoy a drink. We were welcomed like family and my daughter will be forever grateful for the over-the-top hospitality and kindness shown by the staff.

When greeted by the staff at the front desk throughout the weekend, my daughter felt as though everyone knew her and she was part of the family. From Michelle saying, "I'm so glad to finally meet you", and Jason saying, upon our departure, "I'm am genuinely happy to have met you", to Rachel spending a couple hours in the room with us just shooting the breeze, the week was one of the best I've had.

Sooo......if you want to stay at a hotel with comfortable beds, great food and exceptional customer service, don't look elsewhere, stay here (and don't forget to order the TJ Special) ;)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Jason V, Manager at Country Inn & Suites Bloomington West, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Dear Tamara,

Thank you so very much for this amazing review you submitted to TripAdvisor on our behalf! I am so very happy to hear that everything went so well while your daughter was in town! We all truly look forward to seeing her again when she is back in town.

I know that you are extremely busy, and the thought and time you put into this review is just simply brilliant. I will be sure to post this on our back wall for everyone to see, this review is sure to brighten everyone's day!

Thank you so very much again, Tamara, for taking the time to post this review in regards to your recent stay with us here at the Country Inn & Suites by Carlson, West Bloomington.

We look forward to seeing you again in the near future, Tamara.

Jason Vylasek

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Thunder Bay, Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

If you are looking for a normal size room and a room that is clean, this is not the place to stay, The rooms are very small and very run down and dirty. The hotel also has a smell to it that is not appealing. Upon check in we were suppose to have an upgrade and did not get one when we got to the room. So we questioned them about it and could not give us an upgrade. Free breakfast was good. Found grabage in the room when we got in it. The price was right, and that would be the only reason we would stay again. The front desk staff are nice and friendly.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Jason V, Manager at Country Inn & Suites Bloomington West, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write into TripAdvisor in regards to your recent stay with us here at the Country Inn & Suites by Carlson, Bloomington West MN.

I am sorry to hear about the concerns you experienced during your stay with us. Although it is never pleasant to hear when a guest is unhappy, it is very important that these issues are brought to our attention. I wanted to thank you for informing us of these issues, I will be certain to discuss these matters with our management team immediately. I can assure you we will work diligently to ensure a similar situation does not occur again in the future.

I am, however, very pleased to hear that you enjoyed our signature hot (Be Our Guest) breakfast, and found our staff to be kind. I will be sure to relay this information as well.

Again, thank you for taking the time out of your busy day to write into TripAdvisor. We truly hope to see you again in the near future when your travels bring you back our way.

Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Stayed here March 25 - 29. Cont. Breakfast was great each morning. Planned on only stay 3 nights but stayed an extra. prices were good for spring break, Only complaint was pool an hot tubs could use some extra cleaning. all in all would stay again. only 5 miles or less from mall.

Dear valued guest,

I wanted to thank you for taking the time out of your busy day to write into TripAdvisor in regards to your recent stay with us here at the Country Inn & Suites by Carlson, West Bloomington MN.

We are all so thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you enjoyed our complimentary hot breakfast each morning! This is always so great to hear!

In regards to our pool area, I will be sure to discuss the matter of additional cleaning with our maintenance professional, and I assure you this will be discussed during our next managers meeting as well.

Thank you again for writing in, we truly hope to see you again in the near future when your travels bring you back our way.

Best Regards,

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Clean rooms, helpful staff, and best of all, a great free shuttle service to and from the Mall of America that could leave when you needed it to (you just had to tell them ahead of time when you'd like a shuttle). The driver was lovely: the shuttle service really made my stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write into TripAdvisor in regards to your recent stay with us here at the Country Inn & Suites by Carlson, West Bloomington MN.

This is such a great review, we are all so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay so immensely! It is always so nice to hear from our guest’s that the staff were friendly and accommodating, and the shuttle service to and from the Mall of America went well. I will be sure to pass along this information to all of our staff here!

We truly hope to see you again in the future when your travels bring you back our way.

Durango, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

I spent two weeks in the Twin Cities for a business trip. I have stayed at many hotels that my company uses. This was the best for the following reasons. The shuttle to and from work is AWESOME! Scott the shuttle driver was a lot of fun to talk with on the way to work. The rooms were clean, the staff super friendly. And the food....okay, again I have stayed at many hotels...this food was good!!!!! I have had to throw away hotel meals since they were just bad, bad, bad. And their dining area and bar area...so beautiful.

I loved this hotel also because I am a woman business traveler and seriously I felt so comfortable here, because this hotel is both business and family. And...it was "down-to-earth" enough that friends and I were able to play board games in the breakfast area at night without feeling weird.

This hotel is definitely the hotel I will go to when I come to the cities.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Dear Mary,

Wow, this is such an amazing review! We truly appreciate you taking the time to write into TripAdvisor in regards to your recent stay with us.

Nothing makes all of us love what we do more than seeing reviews like this; I can assure you this will be posted on our back office wall for everyone to see, including Scott! Scott has been with us for a very long time, and is such an amazing asset to our organization – you can count on me commending him for services well done.

We are all so happy to hear that you enjoyed your dining experiences in our very own 5120 Onyx Bar & Grill. The food is amazing, I eat there quite a bit as you can probably imagine. It is also so nice to hear that you felt so comfortable staying with us, this is our number one main goal, (making our guests feel as if they are at home).

Thank you again, Mary. This review is sure to put smiles on all of our hard working staff’s faces.

Minneapolis, MN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Stayed for two nights in February 2013. Mostly had a good experience and got a really good price online ($62/nt for a weekend stay). However, a bunch of small stuff kept adding up to the point it couldn't be overlooked...

Pros:
Generally clean
Decent breakfast
Nice pool area

Cons:
Only one elevator was working, and it was sloooowwwww (they are in the process of putting in new elevators)
Pop machine took money - no pop, had to go down to the front desk
Toilet wouldn't stop running - had to have someone come up to fix
Front desk messed up reservation and made us move to a new room for the 2nd night

Some minor updating of decor and eliminating these small issues would push this hotel up a notch or two. I feel as though I got a good value, but only because I paid $62/nt.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for writing in to TripAdvisor in regards to your recent stay with us here at the Country Inn & Suites by Carlson, West Bloomington MN.

I am sorry that you have concerns about your experience at our hotel. Although it is never pleasant to hear when a guest is not satisfied with his or her experience, we do need to be aware of these situations.

Our goal is to make the Country Inn & Suites by Carlson, Bloomington West MN the hotel of choice for our guests while away from home. I will be sharing your comments with hotel management during our upcoming meetings as a learning tool to help us improve our performance and provided exceptional service to our gusts. We want to be able to provide our guests with the best service possible, and feedback from our guests helps us to achieve that goal.

We hope to be your hotel of choice next time your travels bring you back our way, so you can experience these changes first hand.

Baraboo, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Started our weekend out by calling the hotel a few hours before checkin to see if we could get in early and were denied. I have never had this happen before at any hotel. Only one elevator would work during a busy weekend which was an inconvienience with being on the 6th floor with a one year old. While waiting for an elevator I got all the scoop on the front desk drama with one guy wanting to leave his wife and the other lady talking about her new shoes, and shirt and detailed personal drama on their lives which I found to be more than inappropriate. The bathrooms were so small that you could barely get into the bathroom without the door hitting you in the face. There was NO room to even turn around. Lastly, the guests in the next room came to their room after 9pm with a 2 year old and screamed at her for over 30 minutes and hit her at least twice. After two calls to the front desk the mother finally took the toddler for a walk. I was one minute from calling 911 because after my first complaint to the front desk nothing was done. The hotel pool left a lot to be desired as well. After about 15 people are in the pool it seems to have no room for anyone else. My one year old and I were constantly being kicked. Needless to say I will never return and will not be telling any family or friends to stay at your hotel.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!