“Perfectly Good Bargain” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #34 of 38 hotels in Bloomington
Minneapolis
“Perfectly Good Bargain”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

Our family of 5 recently stayed here for 3 nights during a convention, which was at a hotel across the freeway. I've seen some recent previous reviews complaining about the hotel being rundown, and I've seen the staff respond that there are new owners who admit that the hotel does need work, and they are planning to make improvements and offer better service. That said a lot to me.

Yes, the hotel is old and needs a re-do. But we had great and courteous service from all staff, our room was clean and we had plenty of room, and we got a fabulously cheap rate. I appreciated that we had a sink in the bathroom and another sink outside the bathroom, which made getting ready much easier for all of us.

And even with our cheap rate, breakfast was included. I wouldn't say there was anything special about the breakfast, but it was fine. Waffle maker, sausage or bacon, eggs one time, baked goods, toast, yogurt, cereal. It was heavy on the carbs, though, and I'd suggest offering more in the way of fruit or veg.

We did not use the pool but it looked good and was bigger than a lot of hotel pools I've seen.

I have a lot of faith that the new owners will make improvements to the hotel-- I had a good vibe staying there. It's not perfect, but perfectly good.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
DavidAckermann, Manager at Days Inn Bloomington, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Thank you for your kind words. We may not be perfect, but we are working hard to get there. We’ve replaced much of the furniture in the rooms and added new king sized beds. We have new carpet on the way to revamp the look of the lobby. We’ve also placed an order for new vanities and will start very soon on our planned renovation of all of our bathrooms. We are glad that you found our staff courteous. Retraining all of our staff members was a priority for the new owners and the results were immediately apparent. We will continue to improve on our hotel and we hope to see you next time.

323 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Hmm, if we had realized the difference between two areas of this property, we would have requested the pool end for sure. We did a park and fly where we stayed overnight before flying out of the Minneapolis airport and another upon our return. The shuttle service was great, very nice and clean vehicle and prompt and courteous driver. The night we arrived we were put in room 102. Not recommended. No outside locked door, the lock is broken and should be repaired for guest safety. The room was just OK, just about what we needed except in need of renovation. The a/c pumped out some cold air when we turned it on, but did not continue to keep us cool during the night. Even on being checked, we had it on high and cool but we still sweated and found it rough to sleep. Breakfast started at 5 am and we had to leave for the airport at 4:45. We did get coffee, however, but no chance even for a bagel. (Come on, you know what time we are leaving, give us a bite to grab on the way out). We were a little leery staying here again, but our flight got in late, our shuttle driver showed up right away (thanks!) and we were sure to request a room with working a/c. What a difference this time! Much newer room with a brand new a/c that cranked out the cool! It was all very nice on that end . It as as though we were in a different hotel. Night and day. I do recommend to management that they fill those rooms that have been renovated first. I also recommend they hurry up and redo the rooms closest to Chili's Restaurant as they REALLY need some updating and a paint job. You can't put customers in a room with no working a/c when the outside temp is in the 90s!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the pool end away from the parking lot. Newer, much nicer. I would have rated th...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. Our previous owners didn’t complete their renovation so some of our rooms were not completely redone. In the past months after our new owners took over, we have been working to rectify that problem. This includes new beds, furniture and replacing the air conditioners. We have finished replacing the furniture and are starting on patching our paint. Again, thank you for your review and we hope to see you the next time you’re in town.
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

I booked this hotel under the assumption it was the same one I stayed in 3 years ago right across the street from Mall of America, when the GPS took me to this place I was so confused! It turns out the other one closed. The hotel just gave me the creeps, shady looking guest, the closet was falling apart, I couldn't for the life of me get the shower to work. I'm glad I was only there for 9 hours. I will not be choosing a cheap motel again unless it has good reviews. I do not recommend.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, Front Office Manager at Days Inn Bloomington, responded to this review, July 2, 2012
Thank you for taking your time to go onto tripadvisor to tell us about your experience. We recently got new owners and are making many changes to our property and comments such as these help us direct our efforts. The old owners didn’t seem too concerned about property upkeep so much of our work is currently focused on making the hotel more inviting and comfortable. We recently installed new beds and are putting refrigerators and microwaves into our rooms. Much of our furniture, such as your closet, are remnants of the old management. We have already ordered new furniture and are eagerly awaiting its arrival. We also hope to redo our bathrooms, installing new vanities and updating the plumbing fixtures. I am sorry that our hotel did not live up to your expectations, but I hope that you will consider us in the future.
Austin, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

Delta Airlines put us up here after a 5 hour delay in Amsterdam caused us to miss our connection. Nice lobby area and attractive pool. Friendly staff. BUT - hallways are forbidding and scary. Rooms are old tired and dirty. Stained carpets, sleazy bedspreads, chipped and broken furniture, Black mold in bath. No elevator - 2-story army barracks style building. Chilis is next door and they take airline vouchers (Delta gave us $6 for a meal!). Delta should be ashamed for putting their passengers in this motel. To be fair they did get us to and from the airport and the staff was nice, considering what they had to work with. Breakfast was OK with the usual emphasis on carbs.

Room Tip: there are no good rooms
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
DavidAckermann, General Manager at Days Inn Bloomington, responded to this review, June 18, 2012
I would like to thank you for taking the time to express your opinion of our hotel. I am happy to see that you found our staff friendly as we strive to give top level service to all of our guests. As you rightly pointed out, our hotel is in need of a lot of TLC, luckily we were recently purchased and our new owners are dedicated to making this a hotel we can be proud of. For starters we are ripping out and replacing all of our old carpet. We are changing our drapes and bedding to make the rooms much more inviting. We have already ordered new furniture and are expecting delivery of our new beds towards the end of June. We are also changing the light bulbs in the hallways so they will be brighter and more inviting.

Our breakfast selections are also expanding. Just this weekend we introduced a rotating menu of hot items to our breakfast to get away from all the carbs. These items include omelets, scrambled eggs, sausages, bacon, biscuits and gravy.

Again, thank you for telling us about your experience at our hotel. Comments like these are why we are working so hard to improve our offering.
Cherokee, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

We went to see a Twins game and decided to stay out of the city cause of price. The room was clean. The property could use a little updating. The have free shuttle to Mall of America and the airport. We used the shuttle to go to the mall and rode the train into the game. They picked us up at the airport on our on return from the game. The receptionist at the front desk was very nice and helped me with any questions I had. I would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
, Manager at Days Inn Bloomington, responded to this review, July 2, 2012
Thank you for your kind words about our team, I’ll be sure to pass those along. We are very glad that you enjoyed your stay and we are currently in the process of updating our hotel to make your future stays even better. We hope to see you again next time you’re in the area
wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

I was stranded at MSP airport (dont ask my rating for that!) and this is the hotel they put me in. It was "old but clean." There is a shuttle. TIP: look on both sides of the waiting area for the shuttle, I may have missed the first one. Quick check in process. THere were about 15 of us, and the clerk had a pile of keys, took our voucher, gave us a key. Less than 10 seconds. Just what i needed after that day.Ok breakfast.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
, Manager at Days Inn Bloomington, responded to this review, July 2, 2012
Thank you! We always try to make check in as painless as possible. We know that after a long day of waiting in lines at the airport the last thing you want is to wait in a line at a hotel. We are also updating our hotel to make every aspect of your stay more comfortable. Since you stayed with us, we have upgraded our breakfast to include donuts, danishes and a rotating menu of hot items. We replaced many of our beds and tearing out our old carpet. We hope to see you again next time you’re in town, hopefully under more pleasant circumstances.
Medford
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

Choose hotel because of the park and ride offer. Had to wait 50 minutes for ride when calling for shuttle from airport. Rooms were shabby - stain on carpeting. Beds and pillows not comfortable. Price was fair, but would find another hotel next time.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
, Manager at Days Inn Bloomington, responded to this review, July 2, 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel, comments like these are why we are working hard to improve our property. We are in the process of pulling out all the old and stained carpet and replacing it with new carpeting. Just this last week we received new beds and pillows and immediately set about the task of disposing of our old beds. We have also upgraded our breakfast, ordered new furniture and are currently working with a designer to renovate our lobby. We do hope that you’ll give us another chance next time you’re in town.

Been to Days Inn Bloomington? Share your experiences!