“Felt Right at Home!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Biwabik
Ontario
“Felt Right at Home!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2009

My son and I had a great week of skiing at Giant's Ridge. The resort is right at the bottom of the hill, so you could put your skis on right outside the door. The room was spacious and clean. There was a full kitchen, living area with tv, and separate bedroom with tv and king size bed. The decor was perfect for a ski lodge - log beams, earth tones, fire places and an all-round lodge feel. Everyone there (staff and other guests) were very friendly and we felt very comfortable there - right at home. The pool and hot tub areas were kept clean and everyone looked to be having a great time. There are pool tables, a foozeball table, video games, and plenty of couches in the "lobby" area. There was always great water pressure and everything in the room was working, and I was able to connect to high-speed wireless internet from in my room. The only service that I found only somewhat adequate was room service: we ordered it, but when it was ready, we were told to come pick it up downstairs. I don't really call that room service, but takeout. The food was good, by the way, and reasonably priced. Because we stayed at the lodge, we got a nice discount on our daily lift tickets - that was a nice bonus.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2008

We just spent Thanksgiving weekend at the Lodge and it was wonderful! The lodge has very recently been remodeled - it has a wonderful Minnesota Northwoods/Colorado ski lodge feel with comfortable furniture and gathering spots. The rooms have been soundproofed ( a real problem previously) and the difference is amazing - we heard nothing in our condo unit! (Our daughter was studying for law school exams between rounds of skiing)
Great beds, comfortable log furniture, a well equipped kitchen, all made our time easy and relaxed. The lodge sits at the bottom of the ski hill so we had a beautiful view of the hill from both living and bedroom.

The ski hill opened on Friday - just a few runs were open for the weekend, but conditions were good and they are making snow...
We look forward to trying the miles of cross country trails and snowshoeing later in the winter.

The restaurant is under new management - we had great food. Be sure to try the walleye and the sweet potato fries. The Aveda spa will open soon - we are looking forward to that next time....

Just 3 hrs north of Mpls/St Paul, an easy drive straight north into the iron range, We'll definitely be back for more this winter!

• Liked — Northwoods setting, Skiing out the door, easy, comfortable, attractive accomadations
  • Disliked — No internet access in room/condo
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2008

We stayed at the Lodge at Giants Ridge March 17-20 for some late season skiing. We had two adults and two girls, ages 14 and 11.

First, the skiing -- We skied on Tuesday and Wednesday; the snow was great, mostly intermediate and beginner runs with a few expert runs. Very reasonably priced and we felt like we had the hills to ourselves -- we could ski down the hill and immmediately get on the lift to go up.

The ski area is not as large and the hills are not as big as those at Lutsen, but they did a fabulous job of grooming the runs and the snow was great. There was enough variety for a full two days; one more day would have been good, but more than that would probably get boring. The staff running the lifts was very friendly.

The chalet was pretty basic, food was mediocre, mostly burgers, pizza, fries, etc. The good news was that it was very convenient to return to the lodge where we had a kitchen.

The Lodge was nice, but I would echo many of the comments made earlier. They would do well to increase the service levels, soundproofing and small details that you expect when you stay at a nice property. The Lodge was only about half full when we stayed, so that made some of the service issues more questionable.

Checking in: We had booked a one bedroom, fireplace/whirlpool condo that overlooked the hills. When we got there, we overlooked the parking lot. When we told this to the front desk staff, they simply said they did not have any more 1 bedroom rooms overlooking the hills. Since we had paid more for the view, I suggested an upgrade. They said they could give us an upgrade for the first night, but then we would have to move the next day when the 1 bedroom became available! Since we had all of our ski equipment (which had to be kept in the room because the ski storage was being remodeled), food for three days, and clothing for 4 people, the idea of moving sometime during our day of skiing was not very appealing. I suggested that they just leave us in the upgraded room for the three days. They balked at the idea ("it is a much more expensive room") but eventually, they did put us there for the three nights.

Location: the proximity to the ski hill is great, right at the bottom of one of the hills.

The rooms: We were in a 2 bedroom condo. The room was nice (it is actually a 1 bedroom condo plus an adjacent small queen room with bathroom; we still can't figure out why they didn't just give us the 1 bedroom without the extra room...), but we thought that the living area was small for a 2 bedroom. The furniture layout didn't make sense to watch TV so we moved one of the very heavy couches. The furniture was not very comfortable. The log couch was very stiff and there were hard benches at the table. I would not have wanted to sleep on the fold down couch. The beds were very comfortable, except for the pillows which were so fat and stiff they bothered my neck.

The bathroom was clean, good water pressure in the showers. There were no hooks in the bathroom to hang wet towels or clothing. There was not a fan, so everything was steamy after showers.

The hooks and the light fixture on the wall near the kitchen were too close to the adjoining doors-- you couldn't open the doors all the way without hitting the hooks and light fixture.

Nice appliances but instead of a regular stove there was a one burner hot plate and the combination microwave/convection oven. There were no directions in the room for any of the appliances, including the combination microwave/convection oven where you must put in a metal plate to use as an oven. There were also no directions for the murphy bed, and there is a very heavy loveseat in front of the bed that must be moved in order to use it.

The pool: Nice pool overlooking the hills, but too cold to swim, even for the kids. We did use the hot tub in the same area.

Soundproofing: The insulation between floors is very thin. It sounded like there were elephants above us, running and jumping. We did not have a problem with noise from adjacent rooms.

Service: After our check in, the front desk was very pleasant. We had problems with one of our doors (apparently the batteries were getting weak). Not sure if it was fixed; we were able to use the other door. The only other interaction we had was with the bartender. The ice machine on our floor was not working and I could not find one on the 1st or 3rd floor. When I asked at the front desk they told me where one was on the 3rd floor, but mentioned that it was not always working. I asked if I could just get ice from the bar, which was right there (they said yes). When I asked the bartender for ice, she said "oh, you'll have to get that from the hostess" instead of just getting me the ice. There was NO ONE else in the bar; I did not have a bucket to fill, just one glass. I had to wait for the hostess to finish up with some other people before I got my ice.

Ski Storage: It seemed very odd to us that they would be remodeling the ski storage during ski season! We had to keep our skis/boots in our room (not a huge deal, but it would have been a pain if we'd had a smaller room.

Food: We did not eat at the restaurant, so I can't comment. We did not find many places in Biwabik, mostly burgers and pizza. We ate at Aldens Restaurant one night, which was more of a smal town lunch cafe than the supper club impression that the advertisement gave. They do have a full bar though, and the waitress was very pleasant, great service.

Overall: While there were things that could be improved, we would go back for another short ski trip. It would be great if the Lodge upgraded its service and some of the other shortcomings noted.

• Liked — ski in, ski out
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Minneapolis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2007

My girlfriends and I stayed at this hotel and we enjoyed it a ton! The area is really neat and we rode our bikes on the paved paths and canoed on the lakes and down the creek. The hotel itself was decent. We were a little nervous about our stay after reading the reviews, but overall it was alright. Our room had a kitchen and a nice bathroom w/jacuzzi. The lady at the front desk said the rooms were recently updated and we didn't hear our neighbors. The spa downstairs was great as we indulged with facials and massages. The pool wasn't anything special and the fitness room was a joke. The food service was great, but maybe that's cause the restaurant wasn't very busy. We thought the food was pretty good. So for anyone staying I recommend the area and make sure you ask for a newer unit.

• Liked — Kitchens in rooms, bar and restaurant in hotel
  • Disliked — fitness room
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2007

I travel a decent amount, and these walls are the thinnest I've come across. Not only did we hear people in other rooms snoring, door shutting, people talking in the hallway, etc, but we were in a room above the bar where a rock band kept us awake until 2am.

I'll be back for the golf, but we'll stay at the villas next time.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Travelers are raving about these Biwabik hotels

1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2006

Really awful experience during two different dining experiences and the response by management was insulting and disappointing. You usually overlook things that are mediocre unless faced with something that is really horrible. These dining experiences were REALLY bad. We were made to wait to order lunch which made us late for a wedding the first day and then the next morning for breakfast, we were ignored, order was taken after one hour, food took over an hour..all this before a 4 hour drive home. The shelf in our room was falling off, a dirty plate sat in the hallway for over 24 hours, it's loud, too bad it's the only place for miles around.

• Liked — views
  • Disliked — service
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
minneapolis
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2006

We just came back from a wedding weekend at the lodge. Believe EVERYTHING you read about the noise level. We were staying with a very large group, and everyone complained. My friend heard the person next door blowing his nose. When the maids are on the floor above you knocking on the doors for housekeeping, you'll think they are knocking on your door. The walls had dents in them that were never patched up. Most people were missing either an iron or a hairdryer from their room. The service? Even worse! My fiance and I waited over an hour for a burger and quesadillas, and there were only 3 other couples at the restaurant. I couldn't believe how bad the service was.....I've never experienced such all around bad service in my life. Don't expect small town hospitality from this place.

• Stayed February 2006

Been to The Lodge at Giant's Ridge? Share your experiences!