“Wasn't sure what to expect” 4 of 5 stars

The Lodge at Giant's Ridge
6373 Wynne Creek Drive, Biwabik, MN 55708   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Biwabik
Center Harbor, New Hampshire
“Wasn't sure what to expect”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I read the reviews before I booked and wasn't sure what we were buying.
The "hotel" has been sold into units that are managed by different companies. You can't just book a room like a regular hotel. We were there for a week. Room 115
Snow guns run all night outside the window as they can only make snow till January 7 th and they keep parking lot quality lights on all night too. Plus you have the beep beep beep of the groomers.
The rooms are clean, large and welcoming. We had a suite unit that allows you to cook in the room. This was really good for our needs.
The restaurant in the hotel is excellent. The staff is wonderful and the food is very good.
There was the issue is the temp in the room. There is a thermostat, but the room stays at 80+ all the time so we had the window cracked most of the time.
The coffee pot was broken but was replaced with a brand new one with in 20 minutes of me calling the management company.
Garbage goes out every day and you can have the room cleaned every day if you want.
We really liked being able to just put our skis on and go to the lift. There was a pool, spa, pool tables available.
I did not think the place was over priced. We paid a little over $200 per night after taxes. You are located in the middle of no where but you know this before you arrive. There were no construction issues and a wonderful grocery store ( Hannaford brands if you are from the east) located less than 10 minutes away.
I had a few interactions with the front desk, as we were waiting for something from UPS and was not impressed. She did not know the address of the hotel and you just got the feeling they were not there to help the guests who were there under other management.
We checked in across and down the street and they could not have been nicer and more helpful.
This is a very remote location but everyone we ran into, except the front desk, were very welcoming and so nice. We used the ski rentals for poles, the coffee shop in the ski lodge, the ski shop in the ski lodge and (unfortunately) the ski patrol when my son had an accident during his race. They all want you there and go out of their way to be helpful and kind.

Room Tip: Some face the mountain and some face the parking lot. We were in an odd numbered room and faced the...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

72 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Saint Paul, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Where to begin? There were so many issues. My wife and I stayed here recently, because her friend was getting married at the lodge. The wedding happened to fall the weekend of my wife's birthday, so we thought it would be a nice weekend away in the north woods. How wrong we were. To begin with, my wife tried to take advantage of a Groupon offer for half off all spa services, but when she tried to schedule a massage when she booked the room, they told her they couldn't book anything further out than two weeks. Then, we she called back within the two week window, the spa had no appointments available. As no offer was made to refund the price paid for the Groupon, that turned out to be money wasted.

When we checked into our room, the first thing I noticed was a rank odor. For the record, I have such a poor sense of smell, I have missed the smell of leaking gas before, so the fact that I could even smell it is an indication of just how overpowering this smell was. Come to find out, it was coming from the bathroom, and it smelled like a septic system backup. When my wife spoke to the front desk about it, the hotel's solution was to give her a spray bottle of air freshener. This was effective for about two hours, before the sewage smell returned, but the front desk would not even allow us to keep the air freshener; my wife had to return it to them after the first use. So, for three days and two nights, we kept the door to the bathroom closed and held our breath when we needed to use it. This was particularly upsetting, because my wife had specifically booked a room with a massaging whirlpool tub. We both have back issues and figured this might be nice after the long drive to the lodge. It might have been, but since neither one of us were able to hold our breath long enough to fill the tub, let alone use it, the whirlpool tub we'd specifically requested went unused.

About the same moment we were being overwhelmed by the sewage smell from the bathroom, we were also belted with a wall of heat upon entering the main part of the room. Despite having a programmable thermostat, which was set at a reasonable temperature, it was 86 degrees in our room. The programmable thermostat was nearly identical to one we own, so we were both quite familiar with both how it programs and operates, yet neither of us ever succeeded in getting the noisy fan to turn off. We switched it to a/c, and I tried opening the windows, but they were so tight I could open one only about an inch and the other about four inches. My wife called the front desk, but the man who came to our room knew less about how the system worked than we did. He merely said he thought we "had the right idea" by opening the windows. Interestingly, he made no comment about the half dozen dead bugs on the window sill from the room having been so poorly cleaned before our arrival.

We left our room for a walk and to meet some of the other wedding guests. By the time we returned several hours later, the room had cooled to 77 degrees; this with the a/c on and the windows sort of open, and it was only about 60 degrees outside. Part of the problem with the heating a/c system is its setup. They have only one unit for a large suite, consisting of a bedroom, living room, kitchen area and bathroom. The unit is in the bedroom, on the outside wall, and is the typical heating and a/c unit from many hotels. Not only was this unit insufficient for a suite of this size, but its placement all the way at one end of the suite meant that, while it might be pushing 80 degrees in the main living area of the suite, it was closer to 60 in the bedroom, regardless of whether the door to the bedroom was open or closed, and whether or not the ceiling fan was on to circulate the air. Eventually, we determined we needed to run the a/c full blast 24/7, and this would keep the living area in the mid- to upper-70s. When we went to bed at night, we bundled up in flannel pajamas and lots of blankets, because the bedroom was in the low-60s. But if we turned the a/c off at night, the living area was intolerably hot by morning. I can only imagine how unpleasant this situation would have been had we stayed at the hotel at the height of summer's heat.

Of course, you might be wondering why we didn't ask for another room. There weren't any. The hotel was full, in part because of the wedding. In fact, shortly before coming to the hotel, we were advised by another wedding guest to call and confirm our reservation, because apparently the lodge had been bumping some wedding guests due to overbooking. Now, I have no firsthand knowledge of this, but it was made clear to us and another wedding guest we spoke to that the lodge had no rooms to exchange. We were stuck.

If the problems already outlined weren't enough, there's still more. Some examples:
* the room was equipped with an iron, but no ironing board
* the room had insufficient light to read anywhere but in bed; there were plenty of wall sconces and ceiling lights, but none were close enough to the futon couch to read
* even had there been sufficient reading light, there was no comfortable place to sit; the futon was about as uncomfortable as all futons are, and every chair was a lodge-themed wooden affair with no padding on seat or back
* there was no exhaust fan in the bathroom, and as a result, the ceiling above the shower was falling apart from excessive moisture
* the security latch on the door was misaligned and could not be used (see photo)
* there was a blood stain on a washcloth (see photo)
* despite being a large suite, the only mirror was in the bathroom, so when it fogged up from the lack of an exhaust fan, there was no other mirror to use
* there was something sharp in the carpet near the kitchen area that stabbed into my bare foot
* the fitness room was filthy, with huge cobwebs, a floor that looked as if it hadn't been vacuumed in months, broken wicker seats, and equipment that did not function properly
* even with windows closed and a noisy a/c system running constantly, there was still far too much noise coming in from outside
* the shower head had not been cleaned in so long that the hard water buildup caused water to spray in nearly every direction - including directly into the eyes
* the toilet was clogged, and the plunger in the bathroom was so disgusting it should have been thrown away
* the faucet in the shower didn't shut off properly, and since it was one of those types that turns on and off and adjusts the temperature with a single rotating knob, the trickle of water continuing to run out and splash the person finishing the shower is ice cold
* the enamel on the toilet seat was chipping off
* the carpeted baseboard was peeling off the wall and the walls were badly scratched and scuffed

Added to all this was how the hotel handled the wedding. It was supposed to be outside, but had to be moved inside due to spotty rain showers. This had been planned for, and it should not have been a big deal. Yet the hotel couldn't even be bothered to sufficiently clean up the foyer area where the ceremony was held. I've included a photo where you can clearly see the wedding party in the background, the guests in attendance in the middle ground, and the discarded coffee cup in the foreground. There were actually two discarded coffee cups left right there, but I couldn't get the angle right to show them both in the picture. Really? Is picking up the trash from the area before the ceremony starts really too much to ask? Are you kidding me?

Believe me, I could go on, but I think the examples provided are sufficiently damning that there is no need for additional ones. Other wedding guests commented to us about having similar issues, but I will leave it to them to write their own reviews. Suffice it to say that the accommodations are well below what one should expect from a property billing itself as a "resort" as the lodge does. And the service is non-existent. I've stayed in some hotels over the years that were pretty much dives, but given the amount this place charges, dollar for dollar, it may well be the worst place I have ever stayed. Avoid this property at all costs. You'd be better off sleeping in a tent.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Biwabik hotels

minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Stayed here a number of years ago- wasn't really impressed then and certainly not now. I don't recall if the place was a time-share property before,but it is now. Pity the fool that actually bought one of theses units.Prices are high, room needed maintenance(broken window),room needed an update,uncomfortable furniture,HVAC system that can't handle the room. The public areas are used hard and don't seem to be maintained. Ice machine broken, walls and floors dirty and damaged. Restaurant was understaffed, food was average. They are the only game in the area if you want to stay close to the golf/ski area. Troon took over the restaurant management, better get a manager in there. The Lodge restaurant does not serve breakfast, but you can get a breakfast sandwich at the snack bar behind the pro shop. ( this was the best part). I'll go back for the golf but stay far far away from the lodge.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
San Andres Cholula, Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

Expectations and reality don't coincide at Giant's Ridge. The AC system kept the bedroom icy while the living room area was hot. It leaked onto the carpeting and I had to call the front desk twice to get someone up to look at it. The bedding smelled musty. The faucet in the bathroom leaked and the shower was an uncomfortable square contraption. The smoke alarm dangled on wires from the ceiling and went off once...scaring us out of our wits!
There was no maid service. So we had to get fresh towels and toilet paper, make our beds and wash the dishes. Just like at home...except home doesn't cost $200 a night! When I made the reservation I don't remember any warning that this wasn't a REAL lodge. But it isn't. So beware!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Comfrey, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

The Lodge has lost its service, Did not have our Reservation when we got there and did not do anything about it! Had to stay with a friend, the staff (Doug) did nothing about it, did not offer anything, meal, drink, pop, they did not care, the A/C was not working and a staff member told me it had been broken first week in july and they did not want to fix it, this was 17 days later, ice machines did not work, vending machines had warm pop, bar and lounge closed at 9 on a saturday, pool did not have any towels, cash register was broken so we had to have correct change to pay for anything, like I sad POOR, I have stayed there before and it has gotten worst every time, will not be a next time with that management, I would never take my clients there! The rooms are nice, thats IT! For three hundred dollars a nite I will stay at super 8 next time with service like this.

Room Tip: Call the Villas at Giants ridge, much better.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Franklin, Tennessee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

I had a great time on two of the best golf courses in Minnesota. The dinner at the Lodge Restaurant was excellent. But, The Lodge had lost our reservation for 12 and the rooms were not serviced during our two night stay. The AC did not have enough power to keep the room cool. Great location for golfers or skiers, but be prepared to be unimpressed on the room or get a Villa.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

We went to The Lodge and stayed in a one-bedroom suite, which was decent. However, we were there the first part of July and it was extremely HOT!!! The lobby was not air conditioned, and the bar and restaurant were extremely warm and stuffy. This place is not equipped to handle warm weather!! We went with another family and there wasn't a good place to hang out together because it was so hot in the areas where you would normally do that. The outside deck on the back of the Lodge gets the afternoon sun, so that was not an option either. I do have to say that the food in the restaurant was great and we enjoyed biking on the trails. The guys golfed at the Quarry and enjoyed that. I highly recommend going into Biwabik and eating pizza at Vi's. However, keep in mind that the AC doesn't work well in that place either. So it is best to save your stay for cooler days and nights!!

Room Tip: If you go with another family, be sure to request rooms close to each other at the time of your rese...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Lodge at Giant's Ridge? Share your experiences!