“Great Weekend at Giant's Ridge” 4 of 5 stars

The Lodge at Giant's Ridge
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6373 Wynne Creek Drive, Biwabik, MN 55708   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Biwabik
Minnesota
“Great Weekend at Giant's Ridge”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2012

My son and I spent a weekend at Giants Ridge in early March for a ski tournament. This was our first time to both this hotel and this ski area. We really liked both and will definitely return. Check in was smooth and easy, they had carts available to lug all of our stuff (which is alot when you have ski stuff, food, etc...). We had a 1 bedroom and it was very nice with a small closet right in the entry to store all the ski stuff out of the way. I liked having a kitchen, it saved us time and money to be able to have breakfast in our room. My son slept on the fold down murphy bed and said it was very comfortable. It was a little bit of a pain to have to move the futon and coffee table each day to pull the bed down but overall, not a big deal. The king bed in the bedroom was very comfortable. The decor was nice and north-woodsy... The bathroom was decent size. The front desk was able to arrange a late check out for us which really helped since we were racing on Sunday. Easy access out the bottom floor to hit the slopes... Overall, we would definitely return to stay here!

Room Tip: I think slope side would be a little quieter especially in the winter with snowmobilers coming and g...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Duluth, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2012

The saying "Minnesota nice" does not apple here. We recently just stayed for 2 nights with our family and the front desk people were rude when we checked in, the housekeeping staff were extremely rude and ignored me while I was standing right in front of her, the gal at the ski shop was put out that she had to get off her chair and help us in getting our lift tickets, so overall pretty dissapointed since the room and everything was NOT cheap! The room itself was nice except the bed was slanted and the room was FREEZING. The lobby was pretty dirty and they seemed to be understaffed. We have stayed here before and it was not this bad, not sure if we will stay again. I don't expect my butt to be kissed just cuz I spent a lot of money but some common courtesy sure would have been appreciated.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Saint Paul, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2012

Arrived here to cross country ski for a few days. This place is awesome. The trails are great and they have several for all abilities. The room is nicely appointed with a whirlpool and gas fireplace in the bedroom. The food is awesome as is the service and its reasonably priced. They have a decent workout room and a great spa. I had a terrific massage from Ann .I can't speak for the downhill sking but people look like they are having fun. The only downside and its not a huge deal is that they need to keep the lobby up a bit better. If they would run a vacume around it would improve the look so much. I'm happy to be here and I can't wait to come back!

• Stayed February 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012

We stayed here during the first week of January 2012, for 4 nights. We definitely wanted to stay slope-side, so this was really the only choice. Fortunately, we were quite pleased.

We stayed in a "one-bedroom", which essentially is just a large hotel room with the bedroom separated. Not a problem for us, but if you are expecting a full one-bedroom apartment, this isn't it. However, there was plenty of room for our family of 4 (2 adults; 2 kids).

All rooms in the Lodge have a small kitchen, which contains a fridge, dishwasher, sink, microwave/convection oven, an induction cooktop, and pots/dishes/glasses/cutlery. We really enjoyed having the kitchen, and ate every breakfast, every lunch, and most dinners in our room. Being slopeside allowed us to save a lot of money by eating in the room, and also allowed us to take a break during the day whenever we wanted, without having to deal with the day lodge chalet. Shopping tip - buy your groceries at the big Target in Virginia, MN.

Sleeping accommodations are via a king bed in the bedroom, and a double-sized murphy bed in the living room. There is also a cushy sofa, which we pulled aside to make room for the murphy bed, and one of our daughters slept on the sofa instead of sharing the murphy bed.

Our room was quiet, but it may have been because we asked to be located in a quiet area of the hotel. We were on the 3rd floor, near one end of the hall.

Our only small gripe was the HVAC. The only heating/AC unit is in the bedroom, and there is a fan in the wall between the bedroom and the living room which cycles on and off to move the air - but it does not do a particularly good job. This was especially problematic when the bedroom door was closed. If the room was cold, and we turned on the heat, the bedroom became unbearably hot while the living room / kitchen remained cool. Similarly, if it got too warm and we turned on the HVAC fan, the bedroom became quite cold, while the living room / kitchen stayed warm. Eventually, we borrowed a portable fan from the front desk, placed it in the bedroom doorway.

The hotel has an indoor pool, which is well-kept and the water is decently heated. Desk staff are pleasant and helpful, and the location of the hotel is truly ski to the door (not like some places that advertise slopeside, but involve a hike across roads, etc). All in all, this was exactly what we were looking for.

Room Tip: If you want quiet, ask for a room on the 3rd floor, near the end of a hall. Of course, you'll a...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Andover, MN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2012

We have attended the slush cup weekend at Giant's Ridge the last six years. It's alway been a real good time and my kids look forward to it. They asked if we were going this year and I had to say no. Our last time there, I felt as though we were an inconvenance to the bar and restaurant staff. I spend a ton on money in there and always tip 25 top 30%. I never saw a smile and sometimes not even a thank you. The place is not cheap and I don't expect to be treated like a king, but I do expect to be appreciated for choosing their resort. Specially after returning that many years in a row. We will take a year off and maybe return next year, maybe.

Room Tip: Stay away from the side of the lodge that is above the pool area. The noise is out of hand.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Grand Forks, North Dakota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

My son and I stayed 3 nights at the lodge Dec 26 - 28. Skied 2 days and NIGHTS! Yep, they have lighted runs! The room was clean and nicely furnished. Huge bathroom with jacuzzi tub. We stayed on the 2nd floor.The hotel was booked almost solid and we were never bothered by noise. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The Bar was under-staffed and service sufferred a bit, but the waitress made up for it by comp-ing our tab. The food in the restaurant was GREAT, the portions were almost excessive! Try the bacon! All-in-all; we hade a wondeful time and the hotel/lodge was very nice. Will visit again.

Room Tip: If I stay again, I'll get slope-side rooms (not parking-lot side). Although the morning sun was...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2011

We had a coupon for 2 nights, spa discount and restaurant disount. First the restaurants were closed for our stay and the hotel staff said that since they were run under different management there was nothing they could do. Second I had called repetadly the week before to book a massage at the spa and never received a call back, When I finally got to the motel and walked in to the spa they said they were booked. Our room was never cleaned and when I inquired about it, I recieved no apology and instead somone (in sweatshirt, unkept, and with no nametag) dropped off two towels and some shampoo at our door. The front desk staff were friendly enough, but seemed to truly have NO clue on how to intereact with guests. It seemed like a virtual ghost town. I unfortunatly have to attend a wedding there next summer, but plan on looking for accomadations elsewhere. Maybe it's different in the winter with the ski slopes open, but I don't ever plan to find out.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Biwabik hotels

Been to The Lodge at Giant's Ridge? Share your experiences!