“Great hotel- Dinning room not so good” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4614 Highway 61, Beaver Bay, MN   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Beaver Bay
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Inverness, Florida
“Great hotel- Dinning room not so good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

First, the good stuff. We won a bid for a two night stay at Cove Point Lodge from the Star Tribune. The check in was quick, painless and very professional. The hotel lobby was dominated by a massive fireplace that radiated wonderful heat as you stood by it. It felt sooo good doing the foggy, rainy afternoon of our arrival. Our room was spacious with a nice sitting area facing the window. Our room overlooked Lake Superior and when the window was open you could hear the waves crash on the rocks. Very cool. The bed was queen sized and Jeanne and I buried ourselves under the duvet, as we cuddled together in the cool evening. Jeanne took a walk to the point near the hotel and reported loads of warblers skirting about. It was interesting watching the fog cover the nearby homes and then release their grip allowing us to view them again. Breakfast was included and was very good. Scrambled eggs, Canadian bacon, coffee, a variety of breads and rolls as well as very European cut meats and cheeses.

Dinner was a great disappointment to me. I had soup, salad and beef tips. The soup was over salted which took away from its flavor. I ordered beef tips, and the waitress (who was very good) asked how I wanted them done so I was surprised when she brought me "beef tips" in the form of well done pot roast over a large piece of polenta. The polenta did not add anything to the meal. As the pot roast sat on this island of potenta I could actually see it dry up. It was a massive disappointment. Jeanne had soup, again too salty, and a delicious salmon steak. We paid $50 for the two meals and did not get our money's worth.

Bottom line... The hotel is great and we recommend it to anyone interested in a north shore experience but eat elsewhere.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Brooklyn Park, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

My wife and I visited Cove Point in April, 2013 after a winning bid for a 2 night stay on the St. Paul Pioneer Press travel auction. We had been by but never stopped so this was an opportunity to stay at a very good price that we paid at auction ($149 for 2 nights). Service was very good from check in to the welcoming wine and cheese party to the fresh baked cookies that were always at the front desk area. One evening we were even serenaded by an all womens singing group that was staying at the lodge. We stayed in the lodge and had a room with queen bed with an in room jacuzzi and gas fireplace. It was an end unit and very quiet. We enjoyed walking around the grounds and had a good hike out to the point. Very picturesque. We did not eat in the restaurant but had the free breakfast which was very good ranging from scrambled eggs and sausage to cheese and herring. Very good coffee also as I recall, available 24 hours. There is also a really nice area around the fireplace that is perfect for having a glass of wine and relaxing after a day of hiking or biking.
We visited many of the local waterfalls as the spring thaw was in full force if a little late this year. Cove point is very convenient to most of the North Shore attractions. I would definitely come back.

Minneapolis, MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

My wife and I celebrated our anniversary at this quiet well maintained lodge. The views are outstanding and the staff does everything possible to insure a nice visit. If you are looking for a quiet get away, this is it. I would receommend this to friends.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

The Cove Point Lodge was the perfect weekend hideaway for my fiancé and I. As we were traveling up the beautiful North Shore, we were commenting on how relaxed and stress free we were! That was only the tip of the iceberg---the staff, each and every one of them---were phenomenal! Very friendly and wanted to ensure we had the best stay ever. Goal: ACCOMPLISHED!!!!

Room Tip: Gorgeous views of the lake!!
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

We have stayed here before and always look forward to another visit back ! The staff is very friendly and the place is very clean. It is decorated in a woodsy like theme. We love staying here.I can seriously say we have never had any complaints. My husband and I could sit by the water in the chairs outside and just listen to the waves splashing off the rocks. Its nice to just slow down a bit and relax as life can get so hectic. The beds are comfortable and had a good nights sleep. Beautiful view of Lake Superior.If asked if there was anything else that I would want added to this stay... my reply would have to be another nights stay. Hands down! We never want to leave !

Room Tip: On those cool nights nothing beats the fireplace and jacuzzi in the room
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

We went to Cove Point Lodge for a long weekend and will be sure to return. Every room has a great view of Lake Superior and if you want a closer view there are plenty of comfortable chairs outside. The rooms were clean and the bed was so comfortable. The breakfast was exactly what we needed to start the day and the dinner at the restaurant was delicious. We also tried the thin crust pizza from the bar and grill and were not disappointed. Don't miss the drive to Grand Marais, just an hour away and full of awe inspiring views. Thanks for a wonderful relaxing weekend, during which we didn't have a care in the world.

Room Tip: Our room was at the end of the hall, which is nice as it reduces traffic.
Wyoming, Minnesota, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

My husband and I love the north shore but never had the opportunity to stay right on it and were so excited to stay at this lovely lodge where all the rooms have a grand view of Lake Superior.
Our room had a fireplace and Jacuzzi and was decorated in a tasteful North woods theme. The staff was very helpful and made you feel right at home. Being on the north shore, there is a lot to do...or not to do as is your choice. We walked (actually climbed) along the shore, went hiking by Gooseberry Falls, visited Split Rock Lighthouse and finished the day with a glass of wine listening the the sound of waved hitting the shore! Oh let's not forget the superb meal at the Cove Point dining room and the quick dip in the pool. Perfect!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Cove Point Lodge? Share your experiences!