“Split Rock Pines at CovePoint Lodge” 4 of 5 stars

Cove Point Lodge
4614 Highway 61, Beaver Bay, MN   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Beaver Bay
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Split Rock Pines at CovePoint Lodge”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

This house in in a beautiful setting on a ridge, with a great view of Lake Superior. Only five miles to Splitrock lighthouse. Even in winter it was great to have a hugh deck to go out and be closer to the lake and take pictures. We saw deer each day and the trees and lake were soothing. It is a very nice home, well furnished in a northwoods style. We cooked all our meals there easily. There were a couple of maintenance/housekeeping issues that can easily be fixed, and honestly, staying in a home as opposed to a hotel room, some maintenance issues seem to be common wherever we travel. The staff was friendly and accessible. The early spring deal was a good value even with only two people sharing the cost.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

270 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Bloomington, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Me and my girlfriend stayed at the Cove point Lodge for a weekend we are both in our mid 20's and love hiking. The location is great and very pretty. We stayed in room 204 which is the lake affect stateroom. The view in this room is phenominal probably the best in the lodge because you get a great view of the point and the vastness of the lake as well. I'm sure there are similiar views but this view was really something. On to the room. The room we stayed in had a fireplace and a jacuzzi as well, it was fairly spacious. The king size bed was amazing and very comfortable. Jacuzzi was amazig we were there for a weekend and took 4 seperate jacuzzi tubs nothing like sitting in the tub with a beer enjoying the great views the room had to offer. The fireplace was small but it did the job and made the room very cozy. The TV was very small and had awful recpetion, it is a vacation so TV is definetly not the highlight of the trip but after a long day of hiking its nice to sit down and watch some sports center and relax. There are DVD players in the room and DVD rentals at he front desk, they stock your room with a few DVD's upon arrival which is nice. They also give you a few oat and honey bars and waters as well. Open your door in the morning and there is a little suprise waiting for you:) There is a free continental breakfast in the morning which is different but good. They had the usual eggs, sausage,muffins,breads and some different scandnavian options like herring and salami. The dining room is small but cozy just like the lodge is and the menu is limited. We both had the 8oz sirloin with asparagus and mashed potatoes. Great food but this dish was definetly overpried at $28 per plate. Our package inlcuded $20 cove cash which was nice because the meal price was on teh high end for the servings you get. Drinks were amazing try the island raspberry margarita GREAT!We went to blackwoods in two harbors the 2nd night and that was a great choice, lots of different menu options fairly priced in an elegant setting. We hiked goosberry falls splitrock lighthouse and palisade head. Palisade Head was by far the coolest we were up on the peak completely alone and the cliffs were amazing. We dont like to stay on the beaten path so we wandered and made our own trail and found some spectacular views. All of these locations are located very close to the lodge and are great hiking trips. There were a couple minor problem that I will list because I like being thorough but dont let these deter you from going because overall the stay was fantastic and theses cons I will be mentioning are conditional based on when you stay. First off the heat was making some sort of noise at night every few hours which actually woke me up. I have read over revies mentioning this same noise and I guess it only happens when it gets below zero outside and the boiler starts to overflow or something like that. The room price was high $200 after taxes per night which is steep. Bad TV reception as stated earlier. Those are the only negatives to the trip. COve point is highly reccomended!!!!

Room Tip: Any stateroom is wonderful
Saint Paul, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Enjoyed another spectacular stay at Cove Point. The staff are all very friendly, helpful, and accommodating. The facility itself is immaculate and comfortable. However, we failed to get a decent night's sleep due to excessive loud noise coming from the heat source. Every 60 minutes or so, we were awakened to what sounded like a loud pounding/ticking noise. Upon checkout, we mentioned the noise and were told that that when the temperature drops below zero outdoors, the boiler pushes more water through the pipes, hence the noise. From my own personal experience with hot water boilers and being a native Minnesotan, it seems to me that a mechanical defect was the culprit. We did notice several maintenance men working in the facility that morning. Hopefully this was an isolated incident, because we love Cove Point!

I would recommend contacting the hotel before you check in to find out if boiler noise has been an issue. We were in a room on the 3rd floor, towards the far north end. Maybe the location made a difference.

Hopkins, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

it was our 3rd time here. Enjoyed every second of the stay. Every employee was very helpful, especially Robin. She did an amazing job with reservations and with our stay as well. We really felt like being home. A cabin we stayed at was very clean and well stacked. And don't forget about a view... it was marvelous. I know for sure we will be back sometime in summer to enjoy Lighthouse nearby and take great pictures.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Eugene, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

We have stayed here two different times, once in the lodge and once in the Fjord cottages. Both experiences were excellent with one exception. The staff were very friendly, outgoing, and helpful. The accommodations were clean and well furnished. My big disappointment on this trip was the dinner at the restaurant. The gnocchi was bland and we could only eat a small portion of it. The others at our table were happy with their meal, so perhaps it was only this one dish. We will definitely return.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for two nights (Friday and Sat) and had the best time! We were in the standard queen room with the love seat. I was a little worried about that, as the website kept referring to the room as "cozy" and I took that to mean "small", but it wasn't! It was much larger than I had thought, with a sitting area and plenty of room. For some reason the lodges website doesn't really fill you in on some of the smaller details of the room, so here they are. It comes with a small coffee maker (maybe 1-2 cups), a mini fridge, a DVD player in the room, so you can bring your own DVDs to watch, although they have cable too. They give you two wine glasses, two glass coffee mugs, and two small drinking glasses. The tub/shower was a nice size, some hotel showers are so tiny you can barely turn around in them. And the towels were a good size -- as a bit of a curvier girl I really appreciated the fact that I could wrap the towel around my whole body. I think the only small complaint we would have is that the water in the shower never got super hot. My boyfriend really likes taking hot showers, so he was disappointed. Also, the restaurant in the lodge has a very limited menu. So we went into Two Harbors for dinner, which wasn't a big deal. And the restaurant is only open from 5pm-8pm. So you may want to keep that in mind. And I believe they have room service. Also, you are able to open all of the windows at the lodge! I thought that was pretty cool, and they all have a screen and lock. The room got a bit warm Sat night, so we opened the windows and could hear the waves crashing on the shore below us (we were on the third floor) which was very nice and relaxing. The room also came with a small fan. I have never been in a hotel room that gives you a fan, but I was ecstatic! I think it may be because not all of the rooms have AC in the summer, but still. It was awesome. The bed and linens were very comfortable too. The staff at the front desk was super nice, and they even let us check out an hour late so we could enjoy the sauna before we left. We would absolutely stay here again!

Room Tip: The standard queen room was much larger than the pictures on the website make it out to be!
Shoreview, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

We stayed for a long weekend in a three bedroom cottage. Everything in the place was very nice. The view was fantastic from the living room and the upstairs jacuzzi tub overlooked the lake. The beds were very comfortable and nice linens. We ate in the restaurant Friday night and we all enjoyed the food and the excellent service. The front desk was very helpful also when we had a request for an extension cord for o up fondue pots. We will be back!

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Cove Point Lodge? Share your experiences!