“Excellent meal at Whistling Frog cafe and bar” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Whistling Frog Cafe & Bar

Whistling Frog Cafe & Bar
9 Rewcastle Road, Chaslands Highway | On the Southern Scenic Route, 9382, New Zealand
03 415 8338
Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Whistling Frog Cafe & Bar is located mid-way around the Catlins portion of the Southern Scenic Route. It is an ideal stopover at the iconic attractions, McLean Falls and Cathedral Caves. There is a broad mix of accommodation and powered sites at this overnight stopover. The food is chef prepared, restaurant style with great coffees and local beers and wines. Prices are fair and the food is fresh.Check out the free app available for download to Hike & Drive your way around the Catlins.
Brisbane, Australia
“Excellent meal at Whistling Frog cafe and bar”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

I was pleasantly surprised when I recently visited McLean's Falls in the Southlands of South Island, NZ. The chalet accommodation was comfortable and warm, the service in the café friendly and efficient. We had a very happy meal.

• Visited July 2014

Ashburton, New Zealand
“Best place in Catlins!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

What a lovely restaurant. Great service. Excellent meals. Free wi-fi. The staff were very friendly, the restaurant and facilities were clean and it we enjoyed a very pleasant lunch time here.

• Visited June 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Wroclaw, Poland
“Friendly place with good and tasty food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

Tasty food at the restaurant, nice and quiet rooms and friendly atmosphere.
We have a little problem with car battery and everybody wants to help us

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Queenstown, New Zealand
“A great hidden gem!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

We found this place by accident in between Cathedral Caves and Mclean Waterfalls, its in a great spot and has awesome facilities. We met the owners who were extremely welcoming and couldn't of done more for us, talked to us about the history of the place and also gave us directions to get back to Queenstown. We only went in for breakfast but when we come back to the Catlins we will definitely be staying here.

• Visited June 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
ISPIDunedin, Manager at Whistling Frog Cafe & Bar, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
Hello Kristy,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a lovely review.

We look forward to having you join us again in the near future. We are open all year round now with lots of fun events to get excited about.

Kind Regards,
Nicole Bridson
Queenstown, New Zealand
“Not going to the Whistling Frog would be like missing out on the penguins and sea lions!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

I am surprised as I posted a review in April but I've just realized that my post doesn't appear on TripAdvisor. I guess my english was too poor for my review to be validated but I am happy to take the time to write another message again since the Whistling Frog café was incredibly worth the visit.
I visited this place in March with my Mum who was here from France. We stayed on site so we got a chance to have diner and breakfast there.

We nearly missed out on diner as they shut down the restaurant extremely early ( around 6.30- 7pm )
The staff was extremely helpful and chilled out about us checking in and showing up at the reception about 10 minutes before the last meal orders are usually taken. The manager ( a quite young girl ) told us not too rush and stressed out considering the restaurant was still pretty busy anyway so we even got a chance to get change and go to our cottage before.

I was a bit surprised when I saw the menu as I expected the food to be a bit cheaper in this kind.
However, I would classified the Whistling café as great value for money now I had their food!

Our meal was superb, I could not get over the quality of the food they used, everything was perfect and I am fussy post French girl when it comes to food!

Their selection of wine by the glass wasn't impressive but it's a thing I actually really enjoyed too.
I love my wine and I stay away from those places who keep serving off wine to their customers so their range of wine by the glass is extensive.
I had a pinot gris as a pre diner drink and a merlot with my course. They both tasted fresh opened and the cost of the glass was great value for money and quality. In a few words, I loved their wine too!

We came back the day after for breakfast. it wasn't the same staff obviously. At first, I didn't feel welcome by the gentleman in charge but he was very nice at the end.
My flat white tasted very nice in despite the coffee art was probably not his thing at all! ( Sorry I have to leave some bad notes as well! )
I didnt have breakfast but my mum ordered toast. It was the least boring toast I've ever experienced in New Zealand! Home made taste fresh bread with jam and honeycomb honey from the forest next door.

Cant wait to come back!!!

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Hello,

Thank you so much for your great review! We are very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us with your mother. We definitely try to be a little bit quirky and different from other eateries and produce almost everything on our menu on site, from scratch. I am glad you got to sample some of our home made dishes, including our Kamahi Honeycomb at breakfast.

We tend to close for dinner earlier, depending on guests, between March- November and we are open quite late (around 9pm) over the busy Christmas holiday period December- February. However I am glad that you were able to relax a little bit before joining us for Dinner. Once our guests are seated we do not rush them and we allow them to have a nice leisurely dinner.

We serve excellent quality wine in our restaurant, however we normally have only one of each type of wine (pinot gris, Sav, merlot etc) available by the glass so we are able to keep rotating our wines, without them being more than 2 days old. Guests are able to purchase a variety of wine by the bottle as well.

Thank you again for your kind words, we are open all year round now!
We look forward to having you join us again sometime soon, we are only 4 hours from Queenstown :)

Kind Regards,