“Nice family stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Baxter
Saint Cloud, Minnesota
“Nice family stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

Recently stayed here with my family and was pleasantly surprised with this hotel. First off you must realize that there is a water park and there will definitely be lots of children, but overall the noise was not to bad. The room was clean and the waterpark was a lot of fun. They even have an adults only hot tub, which was a nice touch. The staff at the front desk were very nice even though they were extremely busy. Even the free morning breakfast was pretty good. I have stayed across the street at the Arrowwood and preferred this hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Thomas V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Brainerd-Baxter, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Thank you! We appreciate your review and I'm happy to read that your experience matched what we promise when staying at our facility. We look forward to your future visits to the Brainerd Lakes Area and wish you safe travels.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Watertown, Minnesota, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

I live Mpls. The wife I needed A weekend away, We love going up north so we thought this would be descent place to stay. (It Wasn't) I expected ALOT kids (being it has a waterpark) But I didn't expect them to running up and down the hallways for hours. Granted not hotels fault by they should not allowed it. As far as the waterpark not that great. You aren't even allowed to bring a cup of coffee from their breakfast. They want you to buy EVERYTHING inside the park. After paying over 250 a night you should be able to bring in at least your own water. The waterpark wasn't even clean garbage everywhere. The Adult Hot tub wasn't bad ( But still messy) The rest of the water was so cold you couldn't hardly stay in it. The gym 2 treadmills and a bike does not make gym. No weights, dirty and sweaty smelling. In Feb. there is a lot of snow in Baxter. The sidewalks we barely shoveled along with parking lot. For a up north hotel that should be a huge deal. It hadn't snowed in a few days?? The hotel is to close to Hwy 371 so if your on the highway side you hear cars and trucks all night. I would not pick this place as my 1st choice or 2nd. I like staying in Holiday inns, I don't even mind spending over 350 for 2 nights. But I expect more then this place offers. But would never stay here again. It was overpriced and not worth it. CLEAN THIS PLACE UP!!!! From the rooms all the way to your Waterpark!!!!!

Room Tip: Stay in the back of this place no car noise.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Thomas V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Brainerd-Baxter, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Thank you Tracy B for your review on our facility, I’m saddened of your experience at our property. We definitely strive for excellence for all guests, but we do sometime miss the mark as I can read from your review. It was definitely a busy weekend for families enjoying the holidays and we find ourselves perplexed on managing children and managing demand. We will strive to better our approach on crowd control and cleanliness. I’m sorry about the miscommunication as well from staff or assumption on what can be brought in to the park. It is true we do not allow outside food in our park as it is conveniently located inside the park, we certainly welcome coffee from our breakfast area as it is part our establishment and not considered outside food. You are definitely correct in the need for upgrade in our fitness room, but until than we have set up an exclusive deal with FitQuest Athletic club located one block behind for our guests to utilize at their leisure during open hours.
Feel free to contact myself and we can speak further at any time, Thomas Vasecka 218-824-3232
Delano, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013 via mobile

My adult daughter and I were in town for a quick visit and this was close to everything and had decent curb appeal. The waterpark made me a little nervous because we needed to get some sleep and I knew there would be lots of kids and possibly be noisy. It turned out to be very quiet. The front desk was friendly and the room was very clean. It would be fun to go back and use the waterpark. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013
Thomas V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Brainerd-Baxter, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
I'm so happy to read about your experience at our facility. We do our best to keep noise levels to a minimum, but it is easy to do when you have great guests. We look forward to your next visit to the Brainerd Lakes Area.
Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Stayed overnight at this hotel for a business trip. Was pleasantly acknowledged upon my arrival by a very diligent staff. I arrived earlier than regular check-in time just to see if could i could get into my room a little earlier. As I had made my reservation in advance, the staff was very considerate and provided me with a room right away. As I checked-out the hotel I found that they have an exceptional indoor water park, a breakfast bar that would give any restaurant a run for their money and a small snack shop on the premesis which had all the essential snacks and drinks one might need. As this trip was for business, I plan to return on a family vacation at some point. The hotel is easy to access from the main highway, the rooms are quiet and the beds are very comfortable. For a traveling family or just a business trip, this hotel does not disappoint. I highly recommend this hotel for a comfortable nights stay and I will return again. If you stay here, prepare to be met by an upbeat staff who are always wearing a smile.

Room Tip: I have found that booking ahead usually gets you into a better room. I had a second floor room whic...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thomas V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Brainerd-Baxter, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Thank you so much for your review, I’m happy to read that your experience is definitely what we shoot for every time. We truly appreciate our staff and I’m happy that the appreciation shows to our guests. Our breakfast is great and it is a great complimentary amenity that brings great value to your stay. We look forward to meeting you again alone or with your family with an upbeat smile. We hope to see you soon.
Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

Minnesota in Feb wasn't my first choice, but I had to stay for work and this property was all that I needed.

I did not have a chance to swim in the pool (and it was crawling with kids as one can expect) but the workout room is adaquate. I did not have a problem of the room being noisy, thankfully I was far away from the pool up a level. The breakfast was great every morning and the price was right.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for being a great patron to our facility, I’m happy that your business travel needs were met and you found your room quiet along with relaxing. Our breakfast is a great start for the day and I’m happy that you enjoyed. Next time you in the area make sure to enjoy the free access to the athletic club a block behind the hotel. We hope to see you soon.
Hudson, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Great stay, staff was very helpful and friend. Breakfast was very good and the room (324) the "grizzly retreat" was outstanding. The Tap House across the street had great food and friendly staff also. Overall great time for my wife and I.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
I’m very happy to read of your experience. The Grizzly Retreat is truly a treat for our guests. We strive for excellence in all areas of your stay and I’m happy that we met your expectations and thanks for the local tip for eating out.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

First of all let me say what is good about this hotel. The staff is nice, the water in the pool is warm, and the breakfast is great. We stayed in the kids cabin suite. There is no way they can call this room a suite. It was the same size if not smaller than a standard room. It was awkward and claustrophobic. The kids room has a curtain in the doorway. It was so narrow that you couldn't walk through without rubbing it. There are poles to shut them. They were just the right length that when the kids went in and out of the room, they would get smacked in the face. I bent down to pick something up in the doorway and I was jabbed in the back when I stood up. Those things do not give at all! The carpet was stained, the drapes had holes in them, kids tv was fuzzy, fridge was not cold enough, and the freezer was iced over. Kids beds didn't have a top sheet, and our bed was uncomfortable. It smelled musty and I didn't want to touch anything. There is not one good thing that I can say about this room. I guess the bathroom was decent, but there wasn't a fan. It was nice that the kids could get movies and games, but like I said the tv didn't work well.

We had our reservation for two nights. We were here because our kids had a long weekend and we wanted to get away to a place with a water park. I started calling around the first night to try and find a different place to go because it was so bad. Unfortunately our only option was Duluth and we didn't want to drive for another 2+ hours. We stayed and made the best of it, but I don't recommend it.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Thomas V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Brainerd-Baxter, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Thank you for your review on your most recent stay, I’m happy to read that you found our services, waterpark, and breakfast good during your stay. We will definitely work on improving on the items that you spoke of in regards to the room, because cleanliness and comfort are definite needs for a great stay. I’m sorry that you did not find that during you stay. Please feel free to contact me directly to come to a resolution as we work on improving our services I believe you can find us to be a great experience overall. Best Regards, Thomas Vasecka 218-824-3232

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Brainerd-Baxter? Share your experiences!