You added Shangri La's Barr Al Jissah Resort & Spa-Al Bandar to your Saves list
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Barr Al Jissah
Preston, United Kingdom
“Al Waha”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2007

Stayed with my husband & 7 year old son at the Al Waha part of the Shangri-La Barr Al Jissah. You can really tell that the Al Waha is more geared up towards younger families as this is where you will find the Little Turtles kids club, play ship & kids pool. The facilities are great but could possibly do with another 1 or 2 restaurant options at this part if you are staying for a while & like to stay local. You can use the restaurants at the Al Bandar & that has a great little ice cream/cafe place below the book shop but it is about a 5-10 minute walk from your room if staying at the Al Waha.

Muscat was a bit of a suprise, for some reason I didn't think it would be that big & the mosque was spectacular. I know Muscat is currently cleaning up after the storm that hit recently but it all looks like the touristy area's & hotels should be sorted by September (ish).

I would go back as this hotel is beautiful, especially if you are used to european standard hotels! and everyone seemed very friendly and it is still quite a bit cheaper than Dubai for the same standards.

• Liked — Friendly staff
  • Disliked — number of sun beds reserved & not used.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (301)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2007

My second stay at the Shangri La + it was perfect again. Could not fault anything. Staff were wonderful, food fantastic + rooms so clean you could eat off the floor!!! Highly recommend + just cannot wait to go back again. Love it!

• Liked — Everything was fantastic. Total perfection.
  • Disliked — Leaving to go home!!!
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
London, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2007

Just returned from a wonderful holiday at the Al Waha hotel. We had flown from Mauritius and then changed at Dubai so we were tired and the sight of the hotel complex built out of the rocks was so amazing that we thought we were dreaming. We arrived mid morning and were shown right to our room (no waiting about till after 3.00pm ) - very clean room, balcony overlooking the swimming pool, huge bathroom with bath and walk in shower, huge bed, safe, mini bar and so on.
The hotel itself has a lovely atmosphere, very friendly staff who seem to find nothing too much trouble. We loved the buffet breakfast - incredible choice. Lunch was had in the Surf Bar, little place with good milkshakes but a rather limited menu. The burgers were incredibly good!! The main restaurant had a buffet in the evening - each day it changed - Really wonderful. Price £13.00 per person. Vegetarians have their own limited menu - but my advice is to go for the buffet there is a huge veggie choice.
Swimming pool is a good size - we loved the laid back approach to towels and sunbeds (help yourself to as many towels as you want and leave them out to be collected) but can imagine in the high season it could be frustrating. Lazy river was amazing - just sitting in a rubber ring floating to the other hotel. Beach great. Not really prepared for the heat - we walked along the beach from the Al Waha to the sister hotel - 10 to 15 min walk - never felt so hot in my life - it was an exhausting experience!
Hotel runs a shuttle bus to museum in muscat and the local shopping mall (closed at the moment because of damage done by the cyclone).
We had an organised tour to see some of the sights but as we were the only two people on the tour we could choose what we wanted to see - as a result we had a magical day - no souks for us but lots of countryside and a very good tour of Muscat - wonderful.
We loved Oman - it was a wonderful experience - very different but very safe and comfortable. The hotel was just incredible - we loved everything about it but we were there in low season - we were told that in high season you could get a different impression.

• Liked — Clean, comfy, good value
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2007

We arrived in Muscat on the 4th June, we checked in to the Al Bandar late evening and were struck by the promptness of the staff in getting us checked in and up to our rooms. The following day we were advised by staff that a cyclone was heading for the Sultanate of Oman and updates were frequently posted through our door with staff on hand to answer any questions we may have. The hotel had to shut many of its facilities to safegaurd the hotel and minimise damage. They decided upon opening the Piano Bar early providing light snacks and refreshments along with entertainment. The staff that were left that night were stranded with the rest of us for 2-3 days until other staff were able to get into the resort to take over. We must say that the standard of service we received from these staff was brilliant.....they were kind, courteous and very very professional and tried to make us as comfortable as possible with the facilities they had. They provided us with a torch and advised us to use this if the lights went out and offered free lunches, dinners and house wine to compensate for other restaurants and bars being closed.

The buffet restaurants managed extremely well considering they were providing food for all the guests and the food on offer was a wide variety of flavours offering something for anyone. We also tried the restaurants in Al Waha,too and found the same high standards and friendly service.

All in all our stay was very enjoyable and I find it very difficult to understand how anyone could complain considering the circumstances the resort and its staff were faced with.

I must say that although the cyclone was not the best situation to be faced with I will be returning to the Shangri-La as it is a beautiful resort with excellent staff and great facilities.

• Liked — Staff, sevice and location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
Bahrain
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2007

We arrived late at night so unfortunately we couldn't see the scenery in the drive up.

We stayed at al husn, which was very quiet and didn't have much to offer other than exclusivity, which we were looking for. The restaurant selection was rather limited though, and the restaurants we tried were quite disappointing in terms of choice and taste.

The service is missing something- compared to UAE hotels, although they tried hard, they didn't quite have the details in place.

The pool at al husn was wonderful, and the cold towels were a welcome treat. It was difficult to find a waiter when you wanted one though.

Construction was going on nearby, which they should have warned us about before.

It is around 45 minutes away from town, so unless you're prepared to make the trek, take lots of good reading material and just plan on relaxing.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2007

Visited the hotel a week after the cyclone hit Oman and it was still in recovery. Having called ahead to find out if all the facilities were operational, I had been told that that was indeed the case but of course it wasn't. I had booked at the Al Husn which boasts of an exclusive private beach which like the rest of the beaches in the resort had been mauled by the strength of the cyclone and the Al Husn's beach was no longer open and I would think it will take some time to recover.

On arrival at 11pm there was a power failure which cut all electricity except emergency lighting. It was a salutary lesson to bring a torch while travelling and I certainly know what pitch black now means. The hotel butlers did come round after about 30 minutes with torches but with no air conditioning for the next 12 hours, it made for a very hot and uncomfortable night given that the temperature was in the low 30s and very humid. Disappointingly on check out when I asked whether they might reduce the room charge for that night, they were emphatic that it was "just one of those things" and as such a definitive: no. Pretty poor when paying close to $500 a night and when the basics of light, air and power might be expected to be included in the price.

However that was symptomatic of a general level of indifference. I wanted to book a car with a driver for a half day and although the website makes much of its fleet of Audis and a Bentley, reception told me they had the cars but no drivers as it was low season. Booking my airport transfer they asked whether I wanted the Audi A6 or the A8 and having booked the cheaper version, they provided a beaten up Chrysler Voyager. I don't mind what it is but don't pretend to offer something you don't have.

Housekeeping was good and ideal for early risers as they would start knocking from around 8:30 which might be considered a tad early for a resort.

The food? Awful. Pretentious menus offering over-complicated dishes with no flavour whatsoever. The Sultanah is described as having a "luxury cruise theme" and if your vision of a luxury cruise is a 1980's cross Channel ferry then this is indeed accurate.

The location is beautiful but having been to Oman many times, it is best to remember it before they scarred the landscape with this blot.

I appreciate that this was not long after the cyclone but I got the feeling that this perhaps masked a poorly managed hotel where the staff were willing but untrained and inexperienced and who knew very little about the marvellous country in which they worked. The Al Bustan has nothing to fear.

• Liked — Spacious
  • Disliked — Soulless
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Wigan Lanc's
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2007

Well what can I say about this place so you don't think I am being a liitle biased because we were there when the cyclone hit.
Arrive Friday before the cyclone hit Wednesday and from the start I could not put my finger on what was missing in this hotel. It was only later when I thought about it that I realised it was small things that were missing, like a very bare poolside bar and the beds where not laid out in any order just left here there and everywhere around the pool, hardy any grass area with palm trees to sit under and I just felt "stuck there" if you know what I mean.

Breakfast was very nice, but the menu's in the other restaurants were a little limited for us, don't get me wrong I have stayed in 5 star hotels all over the world and our main entertainment in the evening is to have a nice meal in a good restaurant but I do think that they need to be a bit more varied in the menu line.
Staff very good but not up to the standards in other Arab countries. The hotel did try hard, like cold towels, water and fruit brought to your sunbed, but because of the way I felt about the place it did not quite hit the spot.
Once the cyclone hit ,well what can I say. It was bedlam. There was not one water proof window in the hotel and water was pouring in everywhere. we awoke on the Wednesday morning to a soaking wet carpet (which by Friday when we left stunk the room out) All in all apart from the cyclone I would not go back. Much nicer hotel's in Abu Dhabi, Dubai, and Qatar

• Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Shangri La's Barr Al Jissah Resort & Spa-Al Bandar? Share your experiences!