“Nice hotel but food service needs help.” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Ypsilanti
Columbus, OH
“Nice hotel but food service needs help.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

Our room was nice though the beds were small. We had a great view overlooking Ford Lake. The kids enjoyed the pool. we were there for a hockey tournament and the staff was very friendly and accommodating. They set-up a ball room specifically for the hockey players to have fun and blow off some steam. Very good idea.

Each day we had breakfast at Bentley's on the lower level. The food was good the service was very good but on the last day of our stay we went down for breakfast and the buffet was empty. The server was doing his best to keep everyone happy. We also ate at The View in the main lobby. The food was very good but the service and kitchen needs help. You have to ask for everything, menus, silverware, water, take the order, bill, etc. One couple in our group never received there food. They were there over almost two hours and when they questioned the server he said he "forgot to put their order in."

Overall, not a bad stay. Clean rooms, small beds, slow kitchen, good food, great staff.

Room Tip: We stayed on the lakeside and watched some beautiful sunrises over the lake.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Muskegon, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

My room overlooked a beautiful scene of rolling hills and a lovely lake, I wouldn't have guessed it was a golf course in mid-February (in Ypsilanti, for that matter). Clean room, comfortable beds, and quiet! I had noticed a girls athletic team occupying several rooms on our floor, and thought we might be in for a noisy night, but I didn't hear a thing. I took one mark off for a missing set of towels. Otherwise, a very good stay.

Room Tip: choose one overlooking the golf course, if possible
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

Stayed here for two nights for a conference in mid-September not knowing what to expect. So I was happily surprised to see how nice this full-service resort really was! The lobby's welcoming atmosphere was enhanced by the adjacent bar and restaurant. My room was quite spacious and clean as well, with a very comfortable, king-sized bed with great lighting and a decent sized, well equipped bathroom (although I've had much larger). The room decor was tastefully done with a comfortable overstuffed chair for reading and a great desk for work.

What I really liked was the seclusion of this resort! In spite of its urban location, it was reached off a busy road by a winding, private drive. Views out the hotel windows, especially on the resort's back side were of the golf course and wooded Ford Lake. The general feel was of an exclusive resort tucked away in the northern woodlands. I didn't feel any need to leave!

Room Tip: Get a room in the back on an upper floor to get a great view of the lake and grounds.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Heerenveen, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

The Marriott at Eagle Crest is a very elegant hotel... from the marbled floors to the impeccable lounges, even the elevators gleamed! The bed was very very comfortable, the room was clean and spacious, the staff was super friendly and helpful at all times of the day and night. The view from our hotel room overlooked the golf course and Ford Lake. Beautiful! We were there in Dec. for a week and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Their location is perfect... jump on the freeway and in minutes you're in Ann Arbor, only 15 min. from the airport and maybe 25 from Detroit. This was our third stay in this hotel and we would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the higher floors have a great view!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

The Marriott Ypsilanti at Eagle Crest is a fantastic hotel with great service and excellent amenities. Starting with the front desk, the staff is friendly and very accommodating. The hotel rooms are always clean and comfortable. Very close to Ann Arbor & UofM. I would much rather drive the extra five minutes then stay near campus at a higher priced hotel.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Wilmington, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2011

The purpose of my trip was to visit my grandchildren. My son and his family, a two year old and a newborn, live in Clinton, MI. This was the first trip I had ever taken without my husband. I was nervous about going alone, so a good friend offered to travel with me. We were looking forward to having a few drinks to celebrate our trip and unwind at the end of the day. We did not want to drive or walk to a bar. We chose this hotel because it offered a bar/lounge on site.
Our room was clean, the view of the golf course and lake from the seventh floor was beautiful and we enjoyed watching the sunrise over the water. There was the usual tiny coffee maker, free WiFi and plenty of towels. The beds were extremely comfortable with soft pillow tops.
However, our experience in the bar ruined everything else. The night we arrived, we were weary from navigating airports all day, and decided to stop in the lounge area for a drink before heading up to our rooms. My friend had a beer, which was $5.50 and I had a glass of wine, which was $6. My friend handed the bartender a $10 and he returned her change of $3.50, keeping a dollar for himself. My "receipt" was rolled up in a little shot glass and it said $12 for 2 glasses of wine! I was so tired, I just paid the twelve dollars, thinking that perhaps he had poured a double glass. Since I'm from North Carolina and have never been to a bar in Michigan, I thought maybe this was customary.
The next morning, after thinking about this, we decided to stop and ask the front desk manager about it. She said that I should not have been charged for two glasses if I only ordered one and that it was not their policy to keep tips for themselves. She said the bartender we had (a tall, bald man) was new and she would "look into it." That night, we returned to the hotel after 10pm, after having had dinner with my son's family, We were not hungry, but we would have enjoyed having a few drinks, if we weren't afraid of being ripped off. There was an envelope addressed to me on the desk in our room. It contained a note of apology and two coupons for free appetizers.
We were hoping for a couple of free drinks, to be honest. Or, a bottle of complimentary wine would have been lovely.
The next morning we were checking out and I saw the same woman at the front desk again. I handed her the coupons and explained that we were not hungry when we got in and didn't want anything. I told her that we would like to have breakfast before leaving, so if she wanted exchange the appetizers for a breakfast that would be great. She smiled and said, "How about if I get you a couple of cups of coffee to go?"
I agreed to the coffee, which took about 20 minutes for her to fetch, but I was not happy. The way I see it, they owed my friend and I $7, which would have covered the cost of one breakfast buffet. We would have been very happy with that, and we would have split the cost of the second breakfast between us. Since so many hotels offer a free breakfast these days anyway, I don't see why it was a big deal. Or, she could have simply deducted the money form my bill.
We had actually planned to eat breakfast in the hotel before leaving. But since I felt like she was basically rushing us out, ("Here's your hat, what's your hurry?") we went to the McDonald's across the street.
This hotel lost our business the second night in the bar, our business the last morning in the restaurant, and all future visits to the area to another hotel, all over a six dollar glass of wine! I left with a bad taste in my mouth. The hotel is nice, but I keep looking for somewhere else to stay, where I can enjoy a drink or two at the bar, tip what I want, and actually get what I pay for!

Room Tip: Our room on the seventh floor had a beautiful view of a lake and the golf course.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Atlanta, GA.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2011

I was traveling for business and stayed here at the Ann Arbor Marriott Ypsilanti in Dec 2011. This visit was excellent, the front desk and concierge room provided excellent service. As a business traveller having a good desk and internet service are key factors for me and this Marriott delivered on both. I really like that the desk was large, had plenty of outlets to charge my devices, and was comfortable to work at for several hours of "home work". Many hotels put the desk right next to the HVAC but in this hotel it was much more comfortably located across the room. Everything was clean and as a bonus my room looked out over Ford Lake and the golf course. The linens, towels, shampoo, soap, etc. were typical Marriott stuff, very nice but not exceptional in any way. Parking was FREE as it should be at a suburban Marriott but still worth mentioning as many full service Marriott hotels charge for parking. All in all I enjoyed my stay and recommend this hotel for business travelers.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business

Been to Ann Arbor Marriott Ypsilanti at Eagle Crest? Share your experiences!