“Pickle chips are great !” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in Willis
Cuisines: American
Riverview, MI
“Pickle chips are great !”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

I do not eat pickles, but our family went to this restaurant, and the pickle chips were ordered as a group appetizer. Dipped in ranch dressing, this appetizer is fantastic! It tasted nothing like pickles, just a crunchy, salty, tasty snack.

We ordered the bbq combo( ribs, chicken, brisket, pulled pork) which was good and certainly enough for 2 with some to take home, but it was $$ more than if you were to eat at Famous Dave's, (an equivalent BBQ restaurant in Taylor, MI).

The restaurant is not that hard to find ... from I-94, exit at Rawsonville road south, go a couple of miles to Willis road, turn right, go about a mile - you cannot miss it, a dirt parking lot on the left.

Service was great. We used reservations for 6, since this was a Sunday afternoon visit.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Southeast, Michigan
“I tried something new...and loved it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

My husband and I love driving out to Willis and going to Bone Heads BBQ, formerly known as The Pickle Barrel. The interior of the restaurant is so quaint with lots of wood trim, antique lamps and sconces, and sweet charm. They are famous for their pickle chips. Dill pickle rounds, thinly sliced, battered and fried, served with ranch dressing. It's the most crave-able appetizer...ever!
Tonight, however, I have discovered a new favorite...the Texas BBQ Rueben. It is tender bbq brisket, coleslaw, and onion straws on thick cut Texas toast. It is delicious! It's a nice size portion too, not huge, and not skimpy either. I highly recommend this restaurant if you're looking for somewhere different to try. You won't be disappointed, and you will be back for more!

• Visited July 2013
Canton, Michigan
“Great Local Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

What a wonderful restaurant in a historic building. If you are in the mood for BBQ, Boneheads is definately worth the trip to Willis, MI. We love the atmosphere in this former train station (stain glass windows and large crown mouldings). We've had the BBQ ribs, BBQ chicken, wings, and BBQ pulled pork. The BBQ Pulled Pork Sundae is worth a try. It sounds a little odd, but I really enjoyed it. We went with 3 other families the first time we went (total of 16 people). We took over the enclosed front porch. Great experience.

• Visited June 2013
Detroit, Michigan
“Worth driving to this small town gem for awesome bar-b-que!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

What a great restaurant with fantastic bar-b-que! The 1865-built building is in the village of Willis so don't blink as there isn't much there but you can't help to think you stepped back in time a bit with all of the old pictures and memorabilia around. It's surprisingly clean for the age and amount of items they snuck in to keep the old town feel. The bathroom is a bit too Victorian for my taste personally but the old fashioned letter slot in the door and other hints from the past were fun to talk with the kids about. There is also an old bar area separate from the main dining room which looked pretty cool where fun Martinis and several beers on tap are served.

In addition to great service, the best part of this find was the quality of the food which was also a great value. We started with their signature homemade fried pickle chips albeit greasy were quite tasty. Kids meals were only $4.98 and a great deal for homemade Mac and cheese, apple sauce, and drink (lots of other options too). Hubby had the beef brisket which was great and quite tender. The best thing on the table however was my 1/2 slab ribs without question. Fantastic! Their cornbread was sweet and mini-side of spiced baked beans accompanied the coleslaw perfectly. I also liked that they melted the brown sugar into the butter for my sweet potato just exactly as I like to do at home. Not a healthy meal by any means but absolute delicious surprise in this small town. We will definitely be back! Too bad we were too full for the bread pudding or baked cookie served in an iron skillet.

A few other tips- if you are there at the right time, sit on the covered porch to get a glimpse of a passing train though you can feel it from anywhere in the restaurant. And, rumor has it that ghosts roam the building so watch out.

• Visited June 2013
Woodhaven, Michigan
“Mothers day.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

This is my second visit. The first time I had a giant goblet of mashed potatoes 3 types of meat . The food is always excellent. I just wish it was closer to home. or at least the highway

Visited May 2013

Been to Bone Heads Bar-B-Que? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Bone Heads Bar-B-Que, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.