“Worst hotel I've ever stayed at!” 1 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Whitmore Lake
Battle Creek, Michigan, United States
“Worst hotel I've ever stayed at!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

Found a wet dirty washcloth on the floor and a spider in the bathroom. Cob webs all over the ceilings. Called the national customer care number and the manager called my room and said if I didn't like the room I could leave but not to dirty the room or he would charge me for the night anyway. Not dirty the room? You are going to rent the room again without cleaning it after someone had already been in there? Never been treated so rudely!

Room Tip: Stay in your car, it would be cleaner!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Jim A, Manager at BEST WESTERN of Whitmore Lake, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
The only problem there was is that you brought 4 dogs in the room.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Chicago, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

This is a wonderful Property with an extremely friendly and helpful staff. They have a great pool for laps and they are always willing to open it as early as needed. This is not the case everywhere but here it is.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Dave, thank you for your review regarding your stay with the Best Western of Whitmore lake. I'm glad to hear that the staff was friendly and helpful. We always try to accomodate our guests needs, which includes opening the pool early for guests. We appreciate your business and hope you will stay with us again.
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

Hotel providing all basic and sufficient amenities, is relatively close to greater cities in the area like Ann Arbor or Brighton about 15-20 min drive. Somewhat noisy but tolerable due to proximity of highways. Front desk service is very good but housekeepers do not provide adequate or neglect cleaning services mainly vacum, at times, soap, shampoo unless front desk is informed and probably the hotel is frequently used by contractual construction workers in the area. Overall price/qualiy is balanced. Rate would be average.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

The bed was very comfortable. I got the distinct impression that housekeeping had been distracted while cleaning the room though- a bottle of cleaner was sitting on the bathroom floor and there was a washcloth on the floor. I get distracted too, and it wasn't a big deal. The staff was friendly, the swimming pool spakling, the temperature nice, and the location near the lake ideal. We plan to return in the future.

Room Tip: Try to stay closer to the office, as it's an outdoor walk to the pool, and highway noise is less...
Hubbardston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

When we pulled into the hotel we were worried that we picked a beat up, old hotel. The exterior is old and run down with exterior entry rooms. Lobby looked better than the outside but still out of date. The most important part of the hotel is the room and the bed. This is where we were pleasantly surprised. The room was new with a very comfortable bed. The room was clean with new sheets, pillows and comforter. We had a great night sleep, this is all that matters. The price was reasonable and breakfast was good. This is why I gave it 5 stars, because they got right what matters.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Never, ever stay at this property. My wife and I booked a room here as a place to stay after the Michigan football game on Saturday, September 7th. We checked in around 2:30 and almost immediately headed out to Ann Arbor. When we returned at about 12:30 AM, as soon we opened the door to our room we were hit with a strong stench of mold. As I walked to the window to turn on the A/C I discovered why- the carpet all around the window, coffee table, and recliner was absolutely soaking wet and I could see small patches of mold on the carpet near the A/C. Obviously, the room at this point is uninhabitable. I called the front desk and explained the situation, and the gentleman's response was what is in the title- "we're sold out tonight, but I can bring up towels." Uh, really? Not "I'm really sorry, unfortunately we don't have any other rooms but please let me see where in a nearby area we might be able to get you a room?"

In the time it took the night "manager" to reach our room with towels, my wife and I decided we were just going to leave and start driving home to Chicago, hoping to find a hotel in Battle Creek or Kalamazoo. When he got up there we let him know that we were heading out as we obviously couldn't stay in the room, and to please make sure our credit card didn't get charged. I put manager in the first sentence in quotes because he promptly informed us that he had no ability to give us a discount on our room, but he'd have his manager call in the morning. Wanting to get on the road, we just shook our heads and left.

After a 90 minute drive to Kalamazoo and a nice night's sleep at the Fairfield Inn Kalamazoo, I called the hotel again at noon on Sunday since I hadn't received the morning callback I was promised. I explained the situation to the woman who answered the phone, and was again told that the "manager" would not be in until Monday, as he doesn't work on weekends, and he'd call me back then. This is an important point here- taking the employees at their word, the logical conclusion is that if this had happened at, say, 6 PM Friday, no one who is at the hotel would have any ability to rectify the situation until Monday morning, or 2 1/2 days later. I find that to be completely unacceptable.

Its worth noting that at no point in my interactions with the BW Whitmore Lake employees did the word "sorry" come out of their mouths. I'm realistic, I know things happen and they can't just pull a room out of thin air when there isn't one. But I paid $119+tax for a place to stay, I didn't get that place to stay, and no one seemed to think that was a problem.

I'll be anxiously waiting for the call on Monday morning, if it comes. I have already called my credit card company to dispute the pending charges. I will never stay here again, and although this concludes the review of this hotel, if you keep reading I'll explain why I don't think I'll ever be staying at a Best Western hotel again.

After getting no answer from the Sunday call to Whitmore Lake, I called Best Western's 1-800 customer care number. I again explained the situation and the man on the other end of the line was nice enough to apologize for the situation, which I told him was the first time anyone associated with BW had done so. However, he didn't have the ability to make sure my credit card wasn't charged. So anyone staying with a Best Western property just be aware- their corporate policies apparently find it OK that if there is a problem on property on a Friday night, it might not get reconciled until the individual hotel management comes back to work on Monday. For some of you, that might not be a big deal. For me, that just doesn't work.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Jim A, General Manager at BEST WESTERN of Whitmore Lake, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Thank you for your comments concerning your stay at the Best Western of Whitmore Lake. I appreciate your taking the time to post a review regarding your stay and hope you will accept my appologies for any inconvenience you experienced.

I am disappointed we failed to give you the fine accommodations and consideration we strice for with all our guests - the type of service we pride ourselves in. I have investigated your comments and will take steps to ensure that the problems you experienced do not happen again. We found that the a/c unit was leaking inside of the room instead of outside which led to the carpet getting saturated causing your "moldy" smell. Upon inspection, there was no "mold" found in the room, just a musty damp smell. My staff was made aware of your comments and we will take immediate corrective action so this will not happen again.

I have issued a FULL refund to your credit card. Again, my apologies and my further assurance that if you give us the opportunity to redeem ourselves, we shall

Travelers are raving about these Whitmore Lake hotels

Wintersville, Ohio, Usa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

We stayed one night and were very satisfied. Our room was CLEAN and all the furnishings were in good condition. The continental breakfast was average and the breakfast area was clean. Clean means a lot to me and I would stay again and recommend this inn to a friend.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to BEST WESTERN of Whitmore Lake? Share your experiences!