“I don't understand why all those reviewers liked it so much” 3 of 5 stars
Review of EconoLodge Whitehall

You added EconoLodge Whitehall to your Saves list
EconoLodge Whitehall
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   3080 Colby Rd, US 31 ex. Whitehall at Colby, Whitehall, MI 49461 (Formerly Super 8 Whitehall)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Whitehall
Bay City, Michigan
“I don't understand why all those reviewers liked it so much”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

This is a very old and tired out hotel. We checked in Friday evening through Sunday morning for my brother-in-law's wedding. The girl who checked us in messed up our checkin twice and seemed overwhelmed by four couples all coming in together.

Our room was adequate. Carpet was threadbare in places. Top blankets on beds had stains. My father-in-law's room had a toothpick lying out in the open on the carpet. I checked both double beds to ascertain whether we would even be spending the night here. Found no bugs, thank goodness! I slept poorly the first night but my husband slept well both nights. Very quiet, which was a blessing. Unfortunately I didn't think to take pictures, but even the traveler pictures don't look like the room we had, except for the bathroom.

Ah .. the bathroom .. here's the kicker ..
When my husband walked in to use the bathroom, there was a pubic hair chilling out on the toilet seat. So .. when did they last clean it?? There were a lot of random hairs behind the toilet, like no one had swept behind it in forever. EW. While I wasn't expecting expecting luxurious towels, it would have been nice to have washcloths and towels that were not either a dingy gray or accompanied by little yellow stains. Shower was adequate, OK water pressure, but the floor squeaked and I was afraid my 105 lb frame was going to take a trip through the floor boards. Also, don't expect to apply any makeup in the bathroom, there is only one flickering light by the sink.

On the bright side, the WiFi was decent, not overloaded like a lot of hotels, and there were a lot of channels on the cable TV. There is also a McDonald's right next door, we walked there for lunch.

To sum it up, if this place was up to par with the places around it, they would be charging the same prices as the other hotels. You get what you pay for, however, in this case, we got even less.

Room Tip: We were in room 206. Rooms 205 and 204 were also not very good per family members.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
AmericasBestVaueInn, General Manager at EconoLodge Whitehall, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Thank you for your review! Sorry you were displeased with your stay here. I was not aware of any of the issues you were having while you were here so they could have been addressed. I have addressed housekeeping with your concerns & they will be improved for future stays. If you return to the area please check us out in the Spring we will have more updates complete.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Springfield, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

This facility was marvelous. I felt welcome immediately upon entrance. The room was exceptional. It was clean and well. It looked more like a Days Inn then an America’s best Value. I met a very colorful character in the lobby at check out. His name was Karl and he might own the Hotel. He was just so nice and very impressive. This was a very good value!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. I am pleased to hear you had a wonderful stay with us. glad you had the chance to meet Karl, he is definitly colorful! Look forward to your return & thank you for sending your friends our way.
Washington Island, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

Was so nicely greeted when arriving early. The easy access to the hotel off the expressway. They allowed us to check in several hours early. Breakfast included was a great added bonus. We loved the the care and consideration given by the hotel staff. Room was clean and area was wonderful. Would stay here again for sure and recommend to all my friends Michigan.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade if one is available they will give it!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
AmericasBestVaueInn, General Manager at EconoLodge Whitehall, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Thank you for your review! I am pleased to hear your enjoyed your stay with us! Thank you for telling everyone about us! Look forward to you revisiting us.
Paw Paw, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

The ABV was selected for us by our Company due to it's proximity to the office. The hotel was nice, rooms were clean and well tended. The free Wifi was a bonus. The ABV certainly had a nice homely feel and was very quiet at night. The staff were all very pleasant and the staff always welcomed a conversation. Had a great stay

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
AmericasBestVaueInn, General Manager at EconoLodge Whitehall, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
Glad you had an oppurtunity to visit us while in our area for business. Our pleasure to visit with our guest, love to hear about their experiences while on their visit. Look forward to your stay again if you are back our way. Thank you for your review.
Farmington Hills, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

This is a typical Northern Michigan Hotel, lobby and rooms clean, good service, excellent internet speed. The Air Conditioner was a blessing, it was hot out. Easy access to Interstate 31 really nice employees!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
AmericasBestVaueInn, General Manager at EconoLodge Whitehall, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
I do agree...nothing better than showing up to your reserved room & have it cooled off for you after being in the hot Michigan sun!! Next time your come to town give a shout & we will have the room air or heat waiting for you! Thank you for your review.
Cassopolis, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I made reservations at this hotel for a group of high school baseball players. Working with Brandy, the group coordinator was wonderful. Beautiful hotel, very clean and well taken care of. Breakfast buffet was very good. We had to check in around midnight, and all I can say is the night crew needs to take lessons from the day crew on how to treat customers. The day crew was delightful to work with. I give straight give ratings across the board. I would not hesitate to stay here on my next trip to whitehall, or to recommend the hotel to everyone, for individuals or groups.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time for your review! It was my pleasure to work with you & your group! I do apoligize the night crew wasn't has helpful as the day crew, I will address this with them also. Hopefully you all will have the oppurtunity to visit again next year:)
Mishawaka, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

Very clean. Decor recently renovated. Breakfast good usual continental fare. Nice small touches like: shower curtain has clear section at eye level so you can see if your roommate/spouse is entering the bathroom, toiletries higher quality than your average cheap place, showerhead adjustable flow. 3 large mirrors, microwave and small fridge. Internet wifi easy connection and fast.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review! Glad you enjoyed the new renovations we have done to our hotel! Still a few fine tuning we are working on & all the input helps out. Hopefully we will see you next time you are in the White Lake area.

Been to EconoLodge Whitehall? Share your experiences!